Take the Quiz

B. Max

One would have to live in a cave like a hermit to meet their expectations. Give them your money and they will lower your standard of living to that of a bum.

http://www.earthday.net/footprint/index_re...534143334179271

CATEGORY GLOBAL HECTARES

FOOD 3.7

MOBILITY 0.4

SHELTER 4.5

GOODS/SERVICES 5

TOTAL FOOTPRINT 13.6

IN COMPARISON, THE AVERAGE ECOLOGICAL FOOTPRINT IN YOUR COUNTRY IS 8.8 GLOBAL HECTARES PER PERSON.

WORLDWIDE, THERE EXIST 1.8 BIOLOGICALLY PRODUCTIVE GLOBAL HECTARES PER PERSON.

IF EVERYONE LIVED LIKE YOU, WE WOULD NEED 7.6 PLANETS.

FOOD 2.6

MOBILITY 0.1

SHELTER 4.1

GOODS/SERVICES 3.2

TOTAL FOOTPRINT 10

There are a few loaded questions in there. I had no option on some gas things related to cars, there was a lowest number but not a zero. I don't own a car and take public transportation most of the places I go (un less I get a ride from someome) So I feel my stats should be lower.

CATEGORY GLOBAL HECTARES

FOOD 2.1

MOBILITY 0

SHELTER 1.1

GOODS/SERVICES 0.8

TOTAL FOOTPRINT 4

IN COMPARISON, THE AVERAGE ECOLOGICAL FOOTPRINT IN YOUR COUNTRY IS 8.8 GLOBAL HECTARES PER PERSON.

WORLDWIDE, THERE EXIST 1.8 BIOLOGICALLY PRODUCTIVE GLOBAL HECTARES PER PERSON.

IF EVERYONE LIVED LIKE YOU, WE WOULD NEED 2.2 PLANETS.

Rarely drive, I live 20 minutes by streetcar to work, don't have an incandescent lightbulbs at home.....anywat, 2.2 planets...that's doable.

CATEGORY GLOBAL HECTARES

FOOD 0.6

MOBILITY 0.3

SHELTER 1.8

GOODS/SERVICES 1

TOTAL FOOTPRINT 3.7

Must be because there are only two of us, I did it twice just in case, I don't take public transit or ride a bike etc.

Better check your pulse.

I double checked it and it doesn't seem right, because I checked off mostly the worst answers, e.g. no public transit, the largest house mileage etc. , meat every night. There was only one answer for the house single dwelling with running water, maybe I'll try it using another browser,

FOOD 2.6

MOBILITY 0.1

SHELTER 4.1

GOODS/SERVICES 3.2

TOTAL FOOTPRINT 10

There are a few loaded questions in there. I had no option on some gas things related to cars, there was a lowest number but not a zero. I don't own a car and take public transportation most of the places I go (un less I get a ride from someome) So I feel my stats should be lower.

The big problem is that aside from the large urban centres public transit is either unavailable or simply not adequate, so the majority are still forced by necessity to use their own cars. I live just outside a cith with a public trasit system that comes only to the city line, before turning around. Now tomorrow for instance I have to go to the city, but I have a doctor's appointment at 8:30am but the last bus for the city leaves at 8:30am, and the next bus is not until 1:30pm, long after I have to be in the city. So even though I would rather use the bus, it is simply too inconvenient, so I will use my car. If an adequate bus service was made available I would be willing to use it regularly instead of driving myself. The other aspect is that we have 7 day per week shopping as do many jurisdictions but our public transit system is available only Monday to Friday, and on Saturday many runs do not operate, and on Sundays and Holidays only two routes are operated, yet these clean-air freaks continue to get upset that people choose to drive their own vehilces. One of those is a city councillor and when I pointed out the inadequacy of the public transit system his simple reply is that it was not financially viable to fully run the already inadequarte system more tan the Mon. to Fri. schedule. What are people supposed to do refuse to work other than those days the transit system is available? I'm not sure, but somehow I don't think that the employer would be willing to buy into that idea.

FOOD 1

MOBILITY 0

SHELTER 0.8

GOODS/SERVICES 0.6

TOTAL FOOTPRINT 2.4

IF EVERYONE LIVED LIKE YOU, WE WOULD NEED 1.3 PLANETS.

I think if I retake this during the summer period my mobilty factor will rise as I do alot of canoeing, camping and cottaging, thus I leave town every chance I get.

That said,we try our best in our home to reduce our material consumption, as well we tend to grow much of our own food in the summer months, which gets preserved for throughout the winter - nothing better then to pop open a jar of home grown tomatoes, beets and pickles in the dead of winter! We also have a local organics market within easy biking distance which we frequent weekly.

I am not a big consumer, though I do intend to upgrade my stove from electric (old model) to gas - much nicer for cooking! (That'll be my big ticket item for years to come I reckon!)

It would be interesting to know how it is weighted againt other countries. If you pick a smaller country but use the same answers, your footprint is much lower. If you live in a country with warmer temps. your furnace oil consumption for instance, would be lower so I would assume a smaller footprint. Does it take into consideration people who live in small towns with no public transportation, thus requiring a car. If I took it during the summer when I walk and kayak, it wouldn't change my answer as that is recreational, not for transit purposes. It didn't ask about pets, what about people who have animals especially large dogs, they would contribute quite a bit to the 'footprint' wouldn't it.