How Much for Harper's Make-Up?

Kind of like repeating stuff about Dion's language, isn't it?

Still, if you want to keep this thread at the top, please continue replying.

Frankly, Dion's failure to learn English makes his national ambitions insulting. English-speakers should not be made guests in their own country.

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Frankly, Dion's failure to learn English makes his national ambitions insulting. English-speakers should not be made guests in their own country.

I speak english (and only english) and I understand him perfectly fine. I don't understand why some people have such a hard time understanding him.

You are insulted by his national ambitions? You are not even of this nation so I think it is insulting that you would make comment on this.

I speak english (and only english) and I understand him perfectly fine. I don't understand why some people have such a hard time understanding him.

Pretty much the ones who can't understand him don't want to. It's not just his understandability, however, it is his maneuverability that is a problem for me. He needs to be quicker and get the 3 second soundbites down if he wants to do well.

You are insulted by his national ambitions? You are not even of this nation so I think it is insulting that you would make comment on this.
I apologize for insulting your dainty sense of self-worth. In my country, I am insulted when a gasoline station on a "main drag" such as US 1 posts giveaway signage in Spanish only. I do not enjoy being made a guest on a continent built largely by the Anglosphere.

Every time I hear something that ridiculous, I have to scream Serenity Now! A few bad apples. NOT the government. That's rich. Almost as rich as Liberal friends.

Forgot about made-man Gagliano and meetings in the PMO office already, eh?

And this excuses money being spent now by the Tories with no paper trail?

All governments and parties dealings should have a paper trail, without question. I would assume in this case there is a paper trail and that she is well paid by the government as she should be. Will the media and Jack Layton make a big deal of the amount? Yes.

He must have had good enough English to be able to work in the U.S. as long as he did.

I apologize for insulting your dainty sense of self-worth. In my country, I am insulted when a gasoline station on a "main drag" such as US 1 posts giveaway signage in Spanish only. I do not enjoy being made a guest on a continent built largely by the Anglosphere.

Talk to your state government then. New York City has had many unilingual signs over the years. Probably even unilingual Hebrew.

You read Spanish?

No, it does not.

You know, jDob, I rarely agree with anything you post but certainly this is one instance where I praise you for hammering away at the Tories. I hate government waste and non-accountability. I do not care what party-affiliation is the root source anymore.

In my country, I am insulted when a gasoline station on a "main drag" such as US 1 posts giveaway signage in Spanish only. I do not enjoy being made a guest on a continent built largely by the Anglosphere.
You are not entitled to being served by any merchant.

My grandmother lived forty years in the United States and I have trouble understanding both her English and the English of the natural-born Americans in her city. They all managed to make due.

All governments and parties dealings should have a paper trail, without question. I would assume in this case there is a paper trail and that she is well paid by the government as she should be. Will the media and Jack Layton make a big deal of the amount? Yes.

I have no problem if Harper wants to have a stylist. If that person is paid by the taxpayer, it should be readily available to see without having to go to great effort and denials when finding out. The information should be available in a timely manner and the government should be able to explain and justify the expense.

Instead, a special Parliamentary demand has to be made and a 45 day clock has to click down. The Opposition, the media or Joe Citizen should be able to access that information quickly and easily. The government should be able to respond to questions about said expense.

So far we have seen none of the transparency that was promised during the election.

As for whether the media or NDP will make a big deal about the expense, that is part and parcel of being in government. If the party is embarrassed by it, they probably should not have used taxpayer money to do it.

You read Spanish?

My dainty sense of self-worth? Bwahahaha. Obviously my self worth is robust and confident otherwise I might be posting about American topics on an American forum. In fact my self-worth as a Canadian is big enough to include French Canadians who, by the way in case you are not familiar with it, are a "legal" part of this country; French being an "official" language to boot. Why would having a French speaking PM be an insult? Hahahaha, what a guy.

I rarely agree with anything you post but certainly this is one instance where I praise you for hammering away at the Tories. I hate government waste and non-accountability. I do not care what party-affiliation is the root source anymore.

How is it wasteful?

I have said this repeatedly. jdobbin's hammering away at the point is childish and infantile. It takes up a lot of bandwidth. What is he accomplishing by posting everyday that the deadline is approaching?

Why not start a countdown to the next election given the new fixed date for an election?

If the Conservatives ignore the deadline then he will have a point. Until then, it's just sad and pathetic behaviour.

I have said this repeatedly. jdobbin's hammering away at the point is childish and infantile. It takes up a lot of bandwidth. What is he accomplishing by posting everyday that the deadline is approaching?

Just out of curiosity, how many posts do you have in this thread?

I can't recall bandwidth being an issue in forum guidelines. However, for some posters it seems to be an issue despite the fact that they seem to post immediately after the posts they claim waste space. The most effective means of avoiding having threads taking up space is to not respond, mark it as a read and let it sink to the bottom.

QUOTE(jdobbin @ May 8 2007, 09:07 PM)

No, it does not.

You know, jDob, I rarely agree with anything you post but certainly this is one instance where I praise you for hammering away at the Tories. I hate government waste and non-accountability. I do not care what party-affiliation is the root source anymore.

well said. I totally agree.

I rarely agree with anything you post but certainly this is one instance where I praise you for hammering away at the Tories. I hate government waste and non-accountability. I do not care what party-affiliation is the root source anymore.
How is it wasteful?
It could undermine public support for his party.
That is a different issue. Report his posts to the Forum Moderator with an explanation of your concern.
If the Conservatives ignore the deadline then he will have a point. Until then, it's just sad and pathetic behaviour.
Get past the partisanship and think strategically: the Tories should have answered quickly if they want public support.

That is a different issue. Report his posts to the Forum Moderator with an explanation of your concern.

Just because some people don't want to deal with an issue doesn't mean it doesn't contribute under forum guidelines. Personal attacks are probably of more concern to the moderator and there have been a number of those most certainly.

So, by all means report a post and I'll deal with whatever consequences are meted out. However, I expect that rules regarding inflammatory or insulting behaviour should be dealt with harshly.

Just because some people don't want to deal with an issue doesn't mean it doesn't contribute under forum guidelines. Personal attacks are probably of more concern to the moderator and there have been a number of those most certainly.

So, by all means report a post and I'll deal with whatever consequences are meted out. However, I expect that rules regarding inflammatory or insulting behaviour should be dealt with harshly.

It's not inflammatory to make the same point over and over and over again? It's contributing nothing. A number of posters have issues with jdobbin's insistence on this matter. Of course, he doesn't care about what other people think. Why should he?

That's great the two of you to think the Government has a duty above and beyond what is ascribed by the parliamentary committee to report.

It isn't a different issue because this thread would have died repeatedly without jdobbin's manipulative tactics.

Get past the partisanship and think strategically: the Tories should have answered quickly if they want public support.

Here's thinking strategically. This story isn't in the MSM any more. This thread is no longer an issue about Harper any more than Figleaf's Stockwell Day thread was about Day. This thread has become all about jdobbin.

The thread would have died long ago if it weren't for jdobbin bumping it time after time after time. Yet, I'm the one who should get past partisanship?

Not as many as jdobbin.

I counted the last 3 pages and jdobbin's got 15 posts on them, and this page isn't even full yet. Talk about monopolizing a thread.

Talk to your state government then. New York City has had many unilingual signs over the years. Probably even unilingual Hebrew.

From what I've seen, New York City has a few signs that are bi-lingual Chinese and English, with the Chinese characters being much smaller. I do apologize for the harsh tone of my post though.

So far we have seen none of the transparency that was promised during the election.

This isn't true either. There have been numerous posts on here criticizing Tory spending, including Harper's airplane expenses thanks to transparency.

Considering your last prime minister avoided paying taxes in Canada even though he was given about $190 million in contracts paid by Canadian taxpayer and the PM before him stated "What's a few million here and there?" and ran the most corrupt government in Canadian history, this seems to be a bit of a mountain out of a mole hill. I'm sure Layton is keeping his receipts from UltraCuts so he can make a big deal about her getting paid a good sum for "little or no work." This, if you can comprehend the importance of image and market value is nothing but partisan spin. The media will have a field day at the expense of Harper's appearance.

Who funded Harper's campaign? Why isn't the psychick/stylist employee records on record? Why isn't Cannon's chartered executive jet's expenses listed as such? Why aren't Blackburn's travel records showing how much he spent on charters?

None of these expenditures are wrong; they could all be justified but for some reason they are ALL hidden. What is Steve trying to hide? If he has nothing to hide, why hide these expenses?

It isn't anything to do with the Liberals, NDP, former governments, former Prime Ministers. This is the "NEW" government that promised openness and transparency. So far all we have is an opposition party playing leader... but the Liberals ... when the Liberals were government..... (whine, whine, snivel). Either this government can stand on it's own or it should go back to really being the opposition.