Stephane Dion's deal with Elizabeth May in Nova Central

Just heard Jack Layton complaining that the Liberals are depriving people of choice by not running a candidate. Nice try Jack. The NDP might not be such a bad option if this guy wasn't the leader.

Gues what Jack, I'm not running in the next election either, does that mean I am depriving the people in my riding of a choice in the election? :lol:

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it were a by election, I might agree. But a national party, indeed, The Federal Liberal Party, the natural governing party, to not run in every riding, is a disgrace. And to not run so a no name party can have a by, but still lose, is idiocy.

....yet anbother reason why Dion will never be PM.

It used to be tradition that you didn't run a candidate against the Speaker of the House whoever that was. I believe that tradition has ended but it was in place a a long time. Was that disgraceful?

People keep saying that a divided left will never beat a united right. I don't know that the Greens are left but I'd say they are moreso with May in place. The Liberals have no chance in Central Nova. It has been considered a safe seat for Tories for nearly a half century. If May wins, one less Tory. She also believes that Dion would be a better prime minister.

"Dion, who shares May's environmental idealism, is expected to make the announcement today at a joint news conference with May in Central Nova. In return, sources say May will promise not to run a Green candidate against the Liberal leader and will essentially endorse Dion for prime minister."

So May is telling her supporters that Dion should be PM?

If she is telling people to vote for the Liberals why doesn't she run as a Liberal? I don't get it.

has ended but it was in place a a long time. Was that disgraceful?

People keep saying that a divided left will never beat a united right. I don't know that the Greens are left but

Well, umpteen years of Trudeau proves that wrong. The NDP and their 15%, plus the 6% or so who may support the Greens if they don't get too stoned and forget there is an election......

Now an od friend of mine was approached recently by the Spirograph party to run in southern Ontario. She would be a perfect Green candidate. She is a newly graduated professional, a feminist, an artist, active in the community, a visable minority, a new canadian.....

So I asked, are you going to do it? She said she is thinking about it, as a ( just starting out) professional it doesn't hurt to get all that free name recognition advertising...and there's absolutely no danger that she would win and have to put her practice on the shelf.

A word to the leaders of the other fringe parties....the natural law party.....The communist party....the Canadian Action Party, The Marijauna Party and Christian Heritage Party of Canada....get your ridings of choice to Dion ASAP......

Its a ridiculous move on May's part. I was going to probably vote for the Green Party, but whats the point if they simple endorse the Liberals who didn't even really do much of anything on the climate change file. I don't think May realizes that people will probably simply end up voting Liberal instead of the Green Party, and then the Green Party popular vote will simply head into oblivion.

A word to the leaders of the other fringe parties....the natural law party.....The communist party....the Canadian Action Party, The Marijauna Party and Christian Heritage Party of Canada....get your ridings of choice to Dion ASAP......

Given that local Liberals seem to understand what Dion is doing, it should be less of a problem for Dion than many think.

The riding isn't a gift to the Greens. It never has been a safe seat for the Liberals. If Dion had given up a safe seat for the Greens, I think you might call him crazy. This is a strategy that could knock a Tory off.

If you think A green has a hope of defeating a consevative minister...even if she was once senior conservative policy advisor....then you shouldn't bogart than green, my friend........

My view has been that this seat is a safe Tory seat and will only fall when Liberals are in massive majority territory. As I said, it was never Dion's seat to give away. If, on the off chance that May does win it, the benefits go to both Liberals and Greens.

Stranger things have happened. I can recall a safe Republican seat in Florida once going over some Capitol Hill pages.

Why go after a senior cabinet minister? Why not some backbencher?

Because Pinocchio is vulnerable on the integrity front, and integrity is one of her strong cards.

Until she climbed into bed with the guy who calls his dog Kyoto but who opposed action on Kyoto at the cabinet table.

In my opinion, this was not a good decision by Dion. None of his actions to date give me an impression that Dion will listen to the grassroots of his party. I imagine they are alot of Liberals annoyed with their leader today.

As for May, this was a terrible decision. If I were a member of the Green party, I would demand she step down. May is doing serious damage to this party.

Conservatives and NDP will benefit the most from this and the Greens will be hurt most by this.

The Liberals will be the biggest winners because Green voters may just go ahead and support the Liberal Party, while the Greens lose a large chunk of the popular vote.

Agreed. I probably wouldn't of voted for a green candidate anyways but I would've looked into it. At this point they're no longer an option in my opinion.

Greens need a new leader.

The Liberals will be the biggest winners because Green voters may just go ahead and support the Liberal Party, while the Greens lose a large chunk of the popular vote.

Agreed. I probably wouldn't of voted for a green candidate anyways but I would've looked into it. At this point they're no longer an option in my opinion.

Greens need a new leader.

I don't think the Liberals will see alot of benefit from this. I doubt many of those that voted for Green as a form of protest will now switch their vote to the Liberals. I also think the Liberals will lose some of their own soft vote to the NDP and the Conservatives. I think many Canadians will feel uneasy voting for a party so preoccupied with one issue.

Actually, I believe it is incredibly sneaky of the Liberal Party and that May was completely sucked in. That riding, was against this, and is going to perhaps run a Liberals candidate there, with out Dion's consent, though he was meeeting with them today, and could well change their minds. If this was actually real.

Or indeed, it could be a planning meeting to actually have them, the locals, noisily run their own candidate against Dion's wishes. It is a win, win, win. Dion gets to look good with May, not like a deal breaker, but still poof there goes the Greens' to nothing again in the riding, the Liberals have got May's ringing endorsement nationally, and they got a whack of publicity. And they will get several more 100's of thousands of dollars worth of free advertising, than they have already gotten up til now. Let's face it, this ploy has given Dion a huge boost in visiblity and credibility nationally, and there is not even an election called yet.

My bet is, that there will not even be an election called, and all this is merely speculation and hype. Harper is governing by the polls, and the polls are not on his side. Nor in fact any party's side. And I bet Harper/CPC, will have dipped in the polls after this week's Dion May marriage hype.

Harper is going to have the 3 PQ by-elections first and see how they go, he would not waste such an golden opportunity, when having a whole election could well be suicide, according to Greg Weston this week. This avenue of non-election action would be shored up as highly possible, by the Bloc MP sitting now as an independant.

But we will know soon, there is about a month's window to call it now.

Actually, I believe it is incredibly sneaky of the Liberal Party and that May was completely sucked in. That riding, was against this, and is going to perhaps run a Liberals candidate there, with out Dion's consent, though he was meeeting with them today, and could well change their minds. If this was actually real.

Or indeed, it could be a planning meeting to actually have them, the locals, noisily run their own candidate against Dion's wishes. It is a win, win, win. Dion gets to look good with May, not like a deal breaker, but still poof there goes the Greens' to nothing again in the riding, the Liberals have got May's ringing endorsement nationally, and they got a whack of publicity. And they will get several more 100's of thousands of dollars worth of free advertising, than they have already gotten up til now. Let's face it, this ploy has given Dion a huge boost in visiblity and credibility nationally, and there is not even an election called yet.

My bet is, that there will not even be an election called, and all this is merely speculation and hype. Harper is governing by the polls, and the polls are not on his side. Nor in fact any party's side. And I bet Harper/CPC, will have dipped in the polls after this week's Dion May marriage hype.

Harper is going to have the 3 PQ by-elections first and see how they go, he would not waste such an golden opportunity, when having a whole election could well be suicide, according to Greg Weston this week. This avenue of non-election action would be shored up as highly possible, by the Bloc MP sitting now as an independant.

But we will know soon, there is about a month's window to call it now.

I don't know if your an NDP supporter or not, but on MDL, Ed Broadbent tore Scott Reid into pieces and scattered them the 4 winds, catch the repeat if you want to (on newsnet). People don't like backdoor shenanigans. Good call on the poll numbers though, way too volatile.

Harper will wait until 09 to call an election, there will be more positives for him to call it then instead of now.

Harper will wait until 09 to call an election, there will be more positives for him to call it then instead of now.

He shouldn't wait. With the displeasure of Dion now common knowledge why wait? I suppose now might not be perfect , but pretty soon it will be.

One way to know.....follow the money. If the LIbs are broke , then it means no one wants to support them.

He shouldn't wait. With the displeasure of Dion now common knowledge why wait? I suppose now might not be perfect , but pretty soon it will be.

One way to know.....follow the money. If the LIbs are broke , then it means no one wants to support them.

Think about it, End of Afghanistan, the soldiers coming home then a budget right after, the perfect storm.

In 09 he won't have to worry about Afghanistan, Dion can keep being a joke, the longer he's around the bigger of a joke he can make out of himself. The Libs will probably be broke for a while.

Think about it, End of Afghanistan, the soldiers coming home then a budget right after, the perfect storm.

In 09 he won't have to worry about Afghanistan, Dion can keep being a joke, the longer he's around the bigger of a joke he can make out of himself. The Libs will probably be broke for a while.

Never thought about it that way. If that unfolded, yes he would get the majority.

I just can't shake the notion that Dion will step down and not too far in the future. It is far fetched, but if enough backroom whispering is done, and it is happening, then he may have enough cajones to offer up the position.

He has as much chance of winning as Pat Paulsen for President did.

Do we know that the EDA was against this decision?

It's all pretty chummy, it appears that May is tring to buy a seat by having the Libs support her against MacKay, in exchange for her pulling Green candidates in other ridings and endorsing the Liberals.

I suppose this is all legal but what does it say for the democratic process by both Dion and May ?