GO IGGY GO!

Well it was obvious by the deference paid to Michael by the five also-rans ( Bob & Stephane still think they're in the race) that they pretty well know who their next boss is going to be & they're not about to lose a shot at a portfolio.

Stephane was the highlight ..."That's not fair!!" was hilarious ... "It's not easy!!"... shouted the civil servant lifer. If left for another minute I know he would have said ... "We did the best we could!!". Poor guy thinks running on the platform that he was part of the last government that was thrown out of office is a good strategy. Two thousand degrees & still not an ounce of common sense. But he is a likable guy.

Bob Rae has the politician's slickness & is very bright. He'd make a good opposition leader ... just so long as no one actually gave him money to spend.

Volpe gets his knickers in a twist about "prejudice against Italians" ... and then whispers the entire debate a la Brando in the Godfather. Go figure.

Scott was surprisingly good, but I have a question. Isn't he from Nova Scotia? Where in hell did he get the heavy Newfoundland accent?

But the clear head & shoulders above winner was Iggy. Ok ... so he cribbed Luther's "I've got a dream" speech. Hey ... it should thrill the multi-cult faction & it worked for Luther ... so what the hell.

What's your take?

Bob Rae has the politician's slickness & is very bright. He'd make a good opposition leader ... just so long as no one actually gave him money to spend.

Volpe gets his knickers in a twist about "prejudice against Italians" ... and then whispers the entire debate a la Brando in the Godfather. Go figure.

Scott was surprisingly good, but I have a question. Isn't he from Nova Scotia? Where in hell did he get the heavy Newfoundland accent?

But the clear head & shoulders above winner was Iggy. Ok ... so he cribbed Luther's "I've got a dream" speech. Hey ... it should thrill the multi-cult faction & it worked for Luther ... so what the hell.

What's your take?

Volpe is a laugh. I loved his reaction to Diebel's question. If it turns out the story in the Star is true, that is the one about people being paid by a federally funded job service working on his campaign he should retire immediately.

Brison showed why he was being foolish in leaving the Conservativews. On every issue but SSM he is much more Conservative than Liberal. He made a great point about economic issue not even beeing spoken about.

How could anyone trust Rae on the economy?

Iggy did good. Which is great for the Cosnervatives.

Volpe is a laugh. I loved his reaction to Diebel's question. If it turns out the story in the Star is true, that is the one about people being paid by a federally funded job service working on his campaign he should retire immediately.

Brison showed why he was being foolish in leaving the Conservativews. On every issue but SSM he is much more Conservative than Liberal. He made a great point about economic issue not even beeing spoken about.

Agree on Volpe ... the Liberals have enough of a history of problems. Get him out.

And I agreed with Scott ... no one bloody mentioned the economy. As I said ... he was surprisingly good. Get a few years under his belt & he'll be a contender.

I must say that in my own opinion this is really just a two horse race. Rae and Iggy really are the ones who it will be all about. But I guess it will all come down to just how much the supporters of the others follow the lead of their masters. Volpe I do not think has any control over his supporters and that would be a good thing as for him to name someone to suport would not be a good thing. I would have to think that Dion would support Iggy and Kenny would support Rae, but where Dions supporters would probably follow his lead, I am not so sure of Kenny's supporters. I really do not think it will be a long weekend to elct the leader this time round.

If Rae is found to be party to the fraud he is accused of then I would have to think that will be his down fall as the liberals must have learned by now that it just can not take another hit on this type of thing

Rae put a boot on Iggy's throat over his shifting positions on Israel.

What was his comeback? "Absolutely untrue!" :rolleyes:

I know it's a superficial judgement, but in the cut-throat game of politics demonstrating an ability to verbally joust is important. Rae won on that count.

Well, he obviously had the political ability to put one over on you.

Iggy played straight man to Bob's "ba-da-bing, ba-da-boom" on that. He led him right to the punch line by saying "I don't know what you stand for on that issue".

You don't really think he just "fell into it" do you? He had to get the issue out of the way & Bob did the job for him.

He's got the political savvy.

That speech was ridiculous. I figure he gave it because his advisors have told him he's too right wing and not touchy-feely enough. Anyway, it didn't work.

Biblio, I don't know if you've ever been in a room with big egos but Rae's ego clearly dominated Massey Hall.

Look, I hope you're right and your guy wins because frankly, I think Harper will do very well against Ignatieff. I think Harper will have serious problems against Rae (who's a better campaigner) or Dion (who would be formidable in Ontario and Quebec).

In about a year, one of those guys is going to share a podium with Harper for a similar debate. I didn't see Ignatieff touch the right nerves. Rae did, and Dion showed that he can when he touched the nerves of the old style Liberals in his closing speech.

That speech was ridiculous. I figure he gave it because his advisors have told him he's too right wing and not touchy-feely enough. Anyway, it didn't work.

Biblio, I don't know if you've ever been in a room with big egos but Rae's ego clearly dominated Massey Hall.

Look, I hope you're right and your guy wins because frankly, I think Harper will do very well against Ignatieff. I think Harper will have serious problems against Rae (who's a better campaigner) or Dion (who would be formidable in Ontario and Quebec).

In about a year, one of those guys is going to share a podium with Harper for a similar debate. I didn't see Ignatieff touch the right nerves. Rae did, and Dion showed that he can when he touched the nerves of the old style Liberals in his closing speech.

Yes Rae has an ego. But name a politician who doesn't? It's a requisite for the job. It would be impossible to face daily rejection & ridicule unless you thought you were pretty damned great.

Now Dion is charming ... but is there actually a Canadian who wants to see him represent Canada? Come on ... we're rubes ... but not that bad.

Ignatieff didn't touch your nerves, but I'll wager he touched (and will touch) alot of the nerves of people who find Harper lacking.

I think Harper's doing a good job ... but there are still quite a number of Canadians who just don't like him or the Conservatives. And they are allowed to vote.

Iggy will give Harper a real run for his money. It's a toss up who will win.

Well, I don't think any of them are too impressive, and I think that they would lose any election against Harper. Especially when Liberals rally against the tough on crime approach. But then again I think the Liberals will always prefer to put the rights of the criminal above the rights of another.

Why do they always go on about pitting one group against another, thats democracy. Especially when this party only seems to pit Canadian's against each other in order to gain votes.

What's your take?

Being in the US I didn't get to see it. Whatever helps Harper is good, and I suspect that Iggy will have trouble speaking with his Size 10 loafers buried in his teeth.

Being in the US I didn't get to see it.
I watched the debate on www.cpac.ca which is presumably available anywhere in the world, maybe even North Korea.

Thanks. I did ask earlier in the day if CPAC was going to carry it. No one knew.

Why do they always go on about pitting one group against another, thats democracy.

What an interesting way to describe democracy. I hope thats in practise and not your ideal democracy. I like to think of it as more of compromises between different groups (at least that would be true, idealistic democracy). One group beating out another and imposing its will doesnt sound democratic, sounds more like tyranny of the majority.

Guest Warwick Green

What's your take?

Being in the US I didn't get to see it. Whatever helps Harper is good, and I suspect that Iggy will have trouble speaking with his Size 10 loafers buried in his teeth.

Well, he may quote MLK but he sure is no King when it comes to speaking. In fact I thought Iggy had too much of the "outraged innocence" and Rae had that kind of smirk a guy has after snapping a girl's bra. :)

Maybe Don Martin of the National Post is right, "The winner was Harper".

I was not too keen on the format of the debate itself. The content all fell into line with the standard liberal policy sets with not too much new being brought to the podium. I think Canadians want more than the regular lines that the Liberals use. Citizens want substantial change that will provide benefit to them. In my opinion the Liberals need a dynamic leader with a big mitt full of fresh ideas to beat Harper.

More of the same old crap simply won't cut it with citizens. At least Harper offered a different direction and the public got on side with him.

IF it weren't for his NDP baggage, Rae would have this thing hands down and Harper would be shaking in his boots. But as long as he won't address that baggage he seems like he doesn't get it.

Iggy can't beat Harper, and he won't be invited to try.

Dion could beat Harper.

Kennedy is playing For the next round and he'll probably be the kingmaker this time.

I pray you're right because I'll never vote Concervative, Ignatieff or Rae!

I think your right. I didn't see the whole thing but thought Bob Rae would have wiped the floor with Iggy but he didn't. I believe Bob Rae would make a formidable opponent in the commons, but I still doubt that Ontario would accept him.

Guest Warwick Green

I think your right. I didn't see the whole thing but thought Bob Rae would have wiped the floor with Iggy but he didn't. I believe Bob Rae would make a formidable opponent in the commons, but I still doubt that Ontario would accept him.

More and more it is becoming obvious to me that Iggy doesn't have what it takes. Since I don't see Kennedy or Dion going anywhere it looks like our friend Rae will get the laurels.