Terrorist arrested after botched bombing

No, silly: not that kind of terrorist.

A man who told police he made a pipe bomb to attack an abortion clinic was arrested Thursday, shortly before the device went off in a friend’s home while authorities tried to disable it, according to court documents.

No one was injured by the explosion, which started a fire that burned the top floor of the Riverdale home, officials said.

According to an ATF affidavit, Weiler planned to bomb an abortion clinic in Greenbelt and use a .40-caliber handgun he had stolen from a friend to “shoot doctors who provided abortions.”

Let's see: home-made bombs, plot involving guns, radical religious beliefs...alll there. Yet I somehow doubt we'll be seeing any raids on whatever Riverdale church this nutter frequented or calls for "moderate Christians" to denounce the extremists in their midst.

No, silly: not that kind of terrorist

By not that kind of terrorism, you must be referring to the kind that puts thousands, potentially millions of innocent people at risk. If so, I wholeheartedly agree.

Also, I didn't read the part referring to "radical religous beliefs". Can you please link to that? Thanks.

When 20 guys like Timothy McVeigh fly airplanes into buildings, and some others plant bombs on transit systems and in bars, and all these people are linked in a common way to religious extremism, then I'd say we have a problem.

Pat Robertson is no Ayatollah Khomeini. I see a difference.

Again, can someone please link to where it states the man's religious beliefs? I haven't been able to find that part yet. Some of you seem to have access to additional information. If so, please share.

I'd also like to state that one can be against the practice of abortion for reasons other then religion. Mine are scientific.

By not that kind of terrorism, you must be referring to the kind that puts thousands, potentially millions of innocent people at risk. If so, I wholeheartedly agree.

What kind of terrorism is that? Never heard of it.

When 20 guys like Timothy McVeigh fly airplanes into buildings, and some others plant bombs on transit systems and in bars, and all these people are linked in a common way to religious extremism, then I'd say we have a problem.

The commonthread is religious extremism. Why are Msulim extremists considerd the norm among the 2 billion or so Muslims in the world, but kooks like this guy (and Pat Robertson) are regarded as abberations?

Again, can someone please link to where it states the man's religious beliefs? I haven't been able to find that part yet. Some of you seem to have access to additional information. If so, please share.

I'd also like to state that one can be against the practice of abortion for reasons other then religion. Mine are scientific.

I saw references to the accussed's religious bumper stickers, but can't locate hat particular reference now. In any case: would your "scientific" opposition to abortion compleee you to blow up a clinic or shoot doctors?

Pat Robertson is no Ayatollah Khomeini. I see a difference.

Pat Robertson is JUST AS DANGEROUS as any extremist muslim leader. What he spews from his mouth is nothing but unadulterated bigotry and racism. He has made his voice clear and heard. And people listen to him, THAT makes him just as dangerous. Any top religious leader had a duty to be the better man. Religion seems to promote more bigotry around the world than anything else.

God hates gays, God hates this, and that, and this and that. Does not sound like a very loving god to me at all. Not something I want to be a part of. I both in the same light (being agnostic/athiest) both are crazy and need to have their soap box and microphone taken away.

So many rumours and lies are spread by both religious leaders it really makes me sick.

What kind of terrorism is that? Never heard of it.

The commonthread is religious extremism. Why are Msulim extremists considerd the norm among the 2 billion or so Muslims in the world, but kooks like this guy (and Pat Robertson) are regarded as abberations?

Your arguement or postulation makes logical sense. We can't afford to generalize all people of the same religion because some in that religion are extremists or murderers, etc., however tempting it becomes. The problem is however, and we all know it, innocent people from the same racial or ethnic or religious groups are maligned when someone from their same category does something terrible. Our minds generalize and stereotype in a misguided attempt to try make that which is hard to explain, easy to explain.

• 4 weeks later...
A man who told police he made a pipe bomb to attack an abortion clinic was arrested Thursday, shortly before the device went off in a friend’s home while authorities tried to disable it, according to court documents.

No one was injured by the explosion, which started a fire that burned the top floor of the Riverdale home, officials said.

According to an ATF affidavit, Weiler planned to bomb an abortion clinic in Greenbelt and use a .40-caliber handgun he had stolen from a friend to “shoot doctors who provided abortions.”

Let's see: home-made bombs, plot involving guns, radical religious beliefs...alll there. Yet I somehow doubt we'll be seeing any raids on whatever Riverdale church this nutter frequented or calls for "moderate Christians" to denounce the extremists in their midst.

I agree with the man who bombed the clinic. He didn't kill anyone, but the people who were in there probably had a chance to kill hundreds of innocent babies who did nothing to deserve what they got.

I agree with the man who bombed the clinic. He didn't kill anyone, but the people who were in there probably had a chance to kill hundreds of innocent babies who did nothing to deserve what they got.

And you win the nutbar of the month award, friend! Step into the cell.(Clang) Step right up folks, a real live wackjob. Pokehimwithastick! Let's see what other delusions he's having.

Wow, someone who thinks that killing is wrong, but agrees with killing.

[The commonthread is religious extremism. Why are Msulim extremists considerd the norm among the 2 billion or so Muslims in the world, but kooks like this guy (and Pat Robertson) are regarded as abberations?

Because they are. Because Muslims support terrorism in large numbers while Christians rarely do.

Support for terrorism: All the Muslim populations polled display a solid majority of support for Osama bin Laden. Asked whether they have confidence in him, Muslims replied positively, ranging between 8% (in Turkey) and 72% (in Nigeria). Likewise, suicide bombing is popular. Muslims who call it justified range from 13% (in Germany) to 69% (in Nigeria). These appalling numbers suggest that terrorism by Muslims has deep roots and will remain a danger for years to come.

Pew Poll

It's the same kind of Terrorism as Al Qaeda, the IRA, ALF and ELF etc. Regardless of who commits it you can't split hairs.