So Emerson is Becoming Disenchanted with the CPC

Canadian Press

Apr 21, 2006

"Trade minister David Emerson says privately that he is frustrated by the policies of the Conservative government.... His main complaints are that 'the government is too partisan and too tightly controlled under Prime Minister Stephen Harper'....

Jay Epworth, who was Emerson's aide when he was with the Liberals, said Emerson told him that he was shocked by the Harper government's adversarial approach...'Behind closed doors, the Conservatives are worse partisans than the Liberals ever were'.

Epworth told the Star (Toronto) 'His words were that Harper's a hardass, that he was incredibly focused but has no people skills and that, if in the cabinet meeting he disagrees with the opinions of one or more of his ministers, he makes it perfectly clear that he believes the minister is wrong and that his way should prevail.'

The Globe (and Mail) said another source said Emerson has told other former associates that he is chaffing at the tight rein Harper is exerting over his cabinet ministers, whose public comments are controlled by the Prime Minister's Office.

The article goes on to say that Emerson was unavailable for comment (aka: bound and gagged) but that his communications director, Bill Klager, denies that Emerson ever made such remarks.

Normally, I would agree, except that this is exactly how Mr. Harper has operated during and after the election. I'm not surprised that Emerson, who has always disliked Partisan politics, would find the climate in the CPC cabinet meetings over the top. I'm just surprised that it took him so long to realize this.

The Canadian Press article may read like the National Enquirer, but I'm afraid we will see more of the same until Harper once again allows media access to his (our) elected officials.

Canadian Press

Apr 21, 2006

"Trade minister David Emerson says privately that he is frustrated by the policies of the Conservative government.... His main complaints are that 'the government is too partisan and too tightly controlled under Prime Minister Stephen Harper'....

Jay Epworth, who was Emerson's aide when he was with the Liberals, said Emerson told him that he was shocked by the Harper government's adversarial approach...'Behind closed doors, the Conservatives are worse partisans than the Liberals ever were'.

Epworth told the Star (Toronto) 'His words were that Harper's a hardass, that he was incredibly focused but has no people skills and that, if in the cabinet meeting he disagrees with the opinions of one or more of his ministers, he makes it perfectly clear that he believes the minister is wrong and that his way should prevail.'

The Globe (and Mail) said another source said Emerson has told other former associates that he is chaffing at the tight rein Harper is exerting over his cabinet ministers, whose public comments are controlled by the Prime Minister's Office.

The article goes on to say that Emerson was unavailable for comment (aka: bound and gagged) but that his communications director, Bill Klager, denies that Emerson ever made such remarks.

Normally, I would agree, except that this is exactly how Mr. Harper has operated during and after the election. I'm not surprised that Emerson, who has always disliked Partisan politics, would find the climate in the CPC cabinet meetings over the top. I'm just surprised that it took him so long to realize this.

The Canadian Press article may read like the National Enquirer, but I'm afraid we will see more of the same until Harper once again allows media access to his (our) elected officials.

And who told you this fantasy story, the Liberal fairy? The Liberal's just wish that Emerson was disenfransized by the CPC, because their ship has sunk and there are no survivors. The big problem with the Liberal Party is that they thought that they had some devine right to rule this country, and finding out that the people finally saw them for what they really are, liars, crooks, and outright thieves, they can't stand the fact that they are no longer calling the shots.

If you really believe anything coming out of the Liberal friendly press then you are very naive. If Canadian's listened to the Liberal friendly hype being published by the Canadian media, we would now have a majority Liberal government, and thank God the people of this country finally stopped believing everything they read, hear and see on the various media outlets.

Context to the article above:

One of his former Liberal aides, who now works for Opposition Leader Bill Graham, was quoted in print yesterday as saying his old boss is unhappy with the level of partisanship and control Prime Minister Stephen Harper is exercising. The aide also states the minister says he would have quit politics by now, but his wife would not allow it.

However, Mr. Emerson's office said the minister never made the comments. Mr. Harper also dismissed the report, telling journalists to consider the partisan source.

G & M

Or this:

Mr. Emerson said that far from being frustrated, he talked to Mr. Epworth about the differences between the Liberals and the Conservatives.

"I commented on how much more sophisticated [the Conservative Party] appeared to be," said Mr. Emerson.

He added that he likes the fact that cabinet meetings of the new government are "much more focused and businesslike."

Mr. Emerson also said he is pleased to work for a prime minister who is willing to say no.

"To me that is a positive contrast. It is not a negative contrast," he said

G & M

This is how the Liberals have been playing politics and it will have to change if they have any hope of returning to power.

BTW, provide a link to quoted articles.

Canadian Press

Apr 21, 2006

As the journalists have discussed on MDuffy, Emmerson was just stating the obvious regarding his partisan comment and tight reign by Harper on his ministers. Nothing new there.

As for him being a "hard-ass", that goes with being incredibly focused. And having steely resolve. At least he's not a wishy-washy unreliable leader who swings at every direction just to get votes. It's really a contrast between the former government and the new. Maybe that's why Emmerson is "chafing", since he's not used to this kind of true leadership. If, what was sensationally reported is true.

I like the fact that Betsy has accepted that the comments may have been made, and has decided to interpret for herself what it may mean. 'Hardass' is by no means an insult. Harper may well have to act that way to get past the challenges of the first term.

I don't like the habit of dismissing every piece of press that doesn't agree with your politics. Blind partisanship is just stupid. If somebody said something, then so be it. Let's consider it, then move on. The Globe and Mail is the most objective newspaper in Canada, and they will report what news they get - especially if they have limited access to what is going on.

And the CP is no Liberal fairy either.

"since he's not used to this kind of true leadership"

No Canadians are used to this kind of leadership, unless they at one time were living under Stalin. Harper is trying to run the country like a dictatorship.

HE decides who gets access to his cabinet and MP's. HE decides what stories to put out there. HE decides who gets to report those stories and HE decides what photo-ops are beneficial to cast him and his government in the best light.

Sorry - but this is not a dictatorship and if you want to keep your MP's happy, let them speak for themselves; and if you want to keep Canadians happy, let us hear what we elected them to say. I'm sure by now they've memorized the CPC handbook and will do just fine. Keeping them away from the media is only telling us that you do not trust their abilities and we will remember that next election. If Harper can't trust them, how can we?

What I've learned of Emerson, he will not be happy in a government that keeps him 'bound and gagged' and we already know that he is not the only one feeling the constraints. This type of media control does not work in a democracy.

I couldn't find a link, but the article was in my local newspaper (part of the Osprey Group) and was accredited to the Canadian Press so should be available there soon.

I can't believe the legs that have grown under such a non-issue. Get over it.

- H - Believe it! Dedicated Harper haters and left leaning Liberal lovers like ALLCRAP are desperate to find something, anything at all, to use to reverse the growing popularity gap between Harper and his new government and the leaderless, principleless, moneyless Liberals who are now fighting not to catch up to the Conservatives but just to stay a few points up on the NDP as the (distant) second place party.

- Since there has been hardly anything by way of early mistakes by the new government and PM, these dedicated folks must manufacture supposed mistakes and misstatements and embellish other occurences into looking like mistakes. Accordingly, we are here being asked to believe that an experienced senior executive with extensive CEO, deputy minister and ministerial credentials decided on the spur of the moment to sit down and spill his guts and vent his spleen about his boss and his organization with someone from the competition. Yes, a young Liberal backroomer desperate for another (political) leg up with his new boss Billy Graham just happened to get an earfull from Emerson and just happened to report the conversation to the Liberal house organ aka the Toronto Star. Gee, it must be true - have the Liberals and their house organ ever lied to us before?

- Much more credible is Emerson's version of what took place in which he told the young Liberal aide how impressed he was with Harper's focused, disciplined business-like leadership and the way cabinet meetings are run (compared with the well know unfocused, scatter brained, inefficient and usually useless bitching sessions of Captain Panama Paul Dithers) and - to be as charitable as possible to the young Liberal aide - said person heard what he wanted to hear and spun it the way he wanted to spin it.

- So it would be absurd to take the word of this Liberal aide over the word of an outstanding executive of Emerson's calibre, it would be absurd for Emerson to have made the comments the Liberal aide alleges that he made, and it would be reasonable to assume that Emerson as a former business executive of real talent and accomplishment regards as significantly better and more productive Harper's leadership and the Conservatives' cabinet sessions than Martin's leadership and the Liberal cabinet sessions.

- But you are right in that it really is a non-issue well worth getting over.

Good point. Seems like the Harper haters can't find anything traction with the Government's policies so they are trying to create a story. Not much of a story at that. All part of Emerson's learning curve. *Never* trust so-called loyal aides.

- H - Believe it! Dedicated Harper haters and left leaning Liberal lovers like ALLCRAP are desperate to find something, anything at all, to use to reverse the growing popularity gap between Harper and his new government and the leaderless, principleless, moneyless Liberals who are now fighting not to catch up to the Conservatives but just to stay a few points up on the NDP as the (distant) second place party. over.

That's the point Margrace. This story has lasted far, far, far longer than the Stronach floor-crossing story did. Iin large part because of the undisciplined and unfocused Martin government.

The media moved on to other stories with Martin's dithering, the sponsorship scandal and a paucity of a government agenda.

Harper is providing a focused government with a clearly definied policy agenda. So the media has to keep beating this dead horse.

Do you agree with that?

Harper is providing a focused government with a clearly definied policy agenda. So the media has to keep beating this dead horse.

- S - I simply cannot believe that the former CEO of Canfor the largest forestry products conglomerate in BC, the former head of the Greater Vancouver Airport Authority, the former deputy minister of finance in BC, and a former and current cabinet minister would be so indiscrete and irresponsible and suicidal (careerwise) as to sit down with the direct competition and unleash a barrage of criticism at his own boss and his own team, knowing it would be used against him by the competition.

- Nor can I believe that a cagey reader and leader of people like David Emerson was not already somewhat familiar with his fellow University of Calgary economics graduate PM Harper's personality and management style before he ever crossed the floor to work for him.

- But I can believe and I do believe that Liberal backroom boys, especially in these increasingly desperate times, will be highly selective in what they hear and in how they spin what they hear.

- I also can and do believe the Toronto Star has been the pampered pet of the Liberal Party for over a century and will eagerly report anything that will hurt the Conservatives and help the Liberals, no matter how flimsy and suspect the evidence may be, which is what they did here. After the Star ran it, first inb their satellite papers and then in the flagship paper, the Globe and others had no competitive option except to also run with the story. But let us be clear that it was originated by the Liberals and the Liberal loving Star.

I don't know if I would agree with you about Emerson.

Business and government is very, very different. A former aide to a senior exec wouldn't run to the media like that, in part because no one would care and it would be very tough to get another job after that. Top execs just don't face the scrutiny that cabinet ministers do.

I think Emerson really showed naivete in underestimating the backlash to his floor crossing.

He does have a reputation for saying inopportune things. What was that comment during the election? Layton have a dog's head smile or something along those lines...

That being said, it truly is a tempest in a teapot.

*If* Emerson can get an agreement on softwood that the Canadian forestry industry will accept, than it will be a major win for Harper. As it stands it is still a slight win. Despite the ten protesters who appear over and over, Emerson crossing has changed the dynamics of the house, i.e. the Government can survive with the support of any one of the opposition parties. That makes for much better relations in the House. Probably a big part of the reason why Harper has been able to run such a disciplined and focused government.

- S - I simply cannot believe that the former CEO of Canfor the largest forestry products conglomerate in BC, the former head of the Greater Vancouver Airport Authority, the former deputy minister of finance in BC, and a former and current cabinet minister would be so indiscrete and irresponsible and suicidal (careerwise) as to sit down with the direct competition and unleash a barrage of criticism at his own boss and his own team, knowing it would be used against him by the competition.

- Nor can I believe that a cagey reader and leader of people like David Emerson was not already somewhat familiar with his fellow University of Calgary economics graduate PM Harper's personality and management style before he ever crossed the floor to work for him.

- But I can believe and I do believe that Liberal backroom boys, especially in these increasingly desperate times, will be highly selective in what they hear and in how they spin what they hear.

- I also can and do believe the Toronto Star has been the pampered pet of the Liberal Party for over a century and will eagerly report anything that will hurt the Conservatives and help the Liberals, no matter how flimsy and suspect the evidence may be, which is what they did here. After the Star ran it, first inb their satellite papers and then in the flagship paper, the Globe and others had no competitive option except to also run with the story. But let us be clear that it was originated by the Liberals and the Liberal loving Star.

I guess the hardass Harper haters are all too eager to believe left wing hogwash. According to two other reports, it isn't true. The most likely source is of course - guess who - the Liberal party LOL

http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/news/s...d0-c8c61eb58080

"Minister Emerson said no such thing. This was said by the Liberal party," Mr. Harper said while in Montreal yesterday.

"I think that not just Minister Emerson, but I know all of my ministers are pleased not to be in the Liberal party these days," he said. "

Emerson is denying the claims and says the liberal aide is spinning it. Are we surprised LOL

Assuming that it's true, more likely scenario, Emmerson probably did say SOME of what was quoted...BUT they were spun around to fit the way the Liberals want it, as usual.

That "hard-ass" comment is actually a positive statement since it was referring to Harper being "incredibly focused". Just the usage of the word "incredibly" suggest some sort of admiration for this particular trait of Harper. Whether it was said grudgingly or not, it still was an acknowledgement.