My elderly family member just waited 18 hours in the ER to see a doctor

On the weekend I took an elderly family member to the emergency room, they were having some heart issues.  They have several other substantial health issues as risk factors and a new scary heart issue suddenly flared up, so their family doc told them to head to the ER.  I drove and waited with them.

I packed some water & snacks since waits in the ER are typically always long.  We got there around 6pm and expected to be there all evening, maybe 8-10 hours as has been typical in past years.  Unfortunately it took 18 hours from the time we registered to the time we saw a doctor!  Plus another several hours to get tests run etc, so about 22 hours total.  We arrived at 6pm and left at 3pm the next day.

They had only 1 doctor on staff in the ER the entire time we were there, and the province had recently cut back the # of ER doctors at that hospital, which was in a major Canadian city, not some small town joint.  The ER was steady but wasn't super busy at all.  It was so long that we were there overnight and we all had to sleep in our chairs.  I didn't sleep a wink.  Nobody was being seen, we were all there a very long time, it was moving so slow, it took them 3 hours just to see a single patient at times.  Everyone was PO'd.  We all started making friends with each other, there was nothing else to do.  Some people said they came because they couldn't get a family doctor.  There were lots of nurses at least, but they could only give out non-prescription meds like tylenol and took people's blood pressure to make sure nobody was dying.

It was a tragic sight seeing people suffering and waiting as long as we all were.  In the waiting room I saw:

- a disabled man fall out of his wheelchair onto the ground choking on his own saliva.

-a woman occasionally vomiting into a plastic bag

-A woman crying while holding her head because she kept getting very dizzy while waiting for hours with a head injury

- a man continually screaming in agony while laying on a stretcher, i'm not sure what happened to him

Our healthcare system is completely broken.  It makes me PO'd that this elderly family member paid into the system their entire life and now when they have to use it it's not there for them.  Disgraceful.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, CdnFox said:

In BC we fired 1200 medical professionals including doctors because  they wouldn't get vaccinated. 

Got fired for not taking the shot, while shooting oneself in the foot.

Sounds like our current leadership. 

"Forget about unintended consequences, we will throw money at it later."

• Like 1

I have seen and heard of so many doctors quitting. Not sure if this is a crisis nationwide, however but know its incredibly hard for some doctors who are stretched dangerously thin, to where they no longer can be expected to reasonably care for their patients.

I know a few people in Victoria who had that happen. My doctor quits in June. Sent me a courtesy email, highlighting his resignation.

Our medical system is a mess is not even appropriate enough.

Dumpster fire, would be sugar coating it, still o_O

22 minutes ago, Perspektiv said:

Got fired for not taking the shot, while shooting oneself in the foot.

Sounds like our current leadership. 

"Forget about unintended consequences, we will throw money at it later."

Exactly-  we can burn that bridge when we get there :) 

4 hours ago, CdnFox said:

In BC we fired 1200 medical professionals including doctors because  they wouldn't get vaccinated

Don't believe in medicine, can't call yourself a doctor.

Stupid conclusion believing bullshit by stupid antivaxxer

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, herbie said:

Don't believe in medicine, can't call yourself a doctor.

They turned out to be right according to the latest research.

And how many people died now because we can't keep er's and op rooms staffed? I know it's over a hundred. How do you justify killing over 100 people just so you can virtue signal like that?

1 hour ago, herbie said:

Ooh ee ooh ah ah Foxy say bwana's medicine is evil. Cut off that arm.

Sadly, that's the most intelligent thing you've said here :) 

It's not surprising that i melted your brain with a simple fact like that. You lefties just can't think even one step ahead. You're almost as much fun as eyeball when he melts down :)