Bank of Canada says the country faces a productivity 'emergency'

https://financialpost.com/news/economy/bank-of-canada-says-nation-faces-productivity-emergency

An economy with low productivity can grow only so quickly before inflation sets in. But an economy with strong productivity can have faster growth, more jobs and higher wages with less risk of inflation,” she said in a March 26 speech in Halifax, adding that other drivers of inflation will include changing demographics, the economic impact of climate change and global tensions.

“While U.S. spending continues to increase, Canadian investment levels are lower than they were a decade ago,” Rogers told her audience, adding that Canada has also fallen behind most of its G7 peers, with only Italy seeing a larger decline in productivity relative to the United States.

So now they're worried about productivity.

What would you say the chances of the April 15th budget containing new spending to deal with the 'competition crisis' or 'productivity panic' are? Think that got talked over with the bank a while back when they were looking for SOME sort of way to look like they were doing something without cutting spending?

We have a severe productivity problem but the answers are slow immigration and cut spending and taxes to encourage business investment and growth  and neither of those things will work for the libs.

• Like 1

Canada has always had a problem with productivity. A large part of which is ALL govt actively maintaining a low dollar policy.
Another is the CRA policies that take ages to revise, 10 year write downs on equipment that's often obsolete in 3 years. Other stuff that has to be depreciated wen it should be a 100% expense writeoff. Incentives are also needed for companies to provide worker training in many areas. I've been appalled for decades at the lack of computer skills of people hired to do jobs that require them.

Our infrastructure and geography also suck and sure don't help.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, herbie said:

Canada has always had a problem with productivity. A large part of which is ALL govt actively maintaining a low dollar policy.
Another is the CRA policies that take ages to revise, 10 year write downs on equipment that's often obsolete in 3 years. Other stuff that has to be depreciated wen it should be a 100% expense writeoff. Incentives are also needed for companies to provide worker training in many areas. I've been appalled for decades at the lack of computer skills of people hired to do jobs that require them.

Our infrastructure and geography also suck and sure don't help.

But we haven't. For years we did better than the us. Then in about 1993 ish we started to be closer to tied, then we started losing ground 1999.  After that we never recovered the lost ground

image.thumb.png.4e64ad8c0ee539ba46ea788123541fcf.png

Another way to measure productivity is the gdp per capita.  That also is an effective measure and once again - we used to do well but now we've crashed. Here we are compared to the states

image.thumb.png.54b99b4602d265f01c8637b1277b9eca.png

Canada is no longer one of the richest nations on Earth.

We are falling behind, we are becoming a bad place to invest. Businesses don't want to spend money here to make employees more valuable. Too many leftist wanting to 'tax the rich' and 'share the wealth' - if they put money into making more profits they just don't get the rewards.

So our country becomes like a slum building where there's no maintenance, no upkeep and in the end it's just a dump.

The only fix is to shrink our bloated government, scrap all the fluffy programs supporting special interest groups, deregulate, scrap carbon taxes and other ideological communist redistribution schemes.  Do I think any of this will happen?  Not really.  Not enough.  Canadians are afraid to say what they think because they’ve been told that doing so is dangerous or “alt right.”   They’re also used to letting government decide what to do with their earnings and what they deserve, which is basically more second rate healthcare and government programs.  I just want to try to get my kids out of Canada.  

3 hours ago, CdnFox said:

An economy with low productivity can grow only so quickly before inflation sets in.

And and an economy that grows to quickly will impact your environment which also causes inflation.

Things have been unsustainable for some time now. The most obvious canaries-in-the-coal-mine have been the collapse of major fisheries on both coasts. They alerted us to significant issues in our country's ecosystems, especially their mismanagement.

8 minutes ago, eyeball said:

And and an economy that grows to quickly will impact your environment which also causes inflation.

Not with higher productivity. Thats the point.  IF you have high productivity then you can have strong growth and avoid inflation AND excessive resource or environmental impact. That's kind of the point. All this left wing crap that's hurting our businesses is actually bad for the environment

1 hour ago, CdnFox said:

Not with higher productivity. Thats the point.

Meanwhile when faced with shortages of raw materials producers put less into the  packages for the same price.

1 hour ago, CdnFox said:

All this left wing crap that's hurting our businesses is actually bad for the environment

Nope, it's all this right wing crap helping our businesses that's hurting the environment.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

The only fix is to shrink our bloated government, scrap all the fluffy programs supporting special interest groups, deregulate, scrap carbon taxes and other ideological communist redistribution schemes.

Right... 19th Century solutions will solve modern problems, eh?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eyeball said:

Meanwhile when faced with shortages of raw materials producers put less into the  packages for the same price.

Well you can thank your boy Justin for shrinkflation :)

But it's kind of off topic,

Nope, it's all this right wing crap helping our businesses that's hurting the environment.

Sorry but that's just not correct.  Unions and the lack of business investment in canada means we have to rely more on resources. That's just the way it is.  Does a more efficient engine burn more fuel? or less fuel.  Sigh - you leftist never manage to get even the elementary stuff right.

3 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

Well you can thank your boy Justin for shrinkflation :)

But it's kind of off topic,

Pointing out things you don't know squat about is always on topic with you.

Shrinkflation is a tactic commonly used by the food industry, where manufacturers cut pack sizes without reducing prices, as they look to reduce their costs amid stubbornly high food price inflation. Galaxy's smooth milk chocolate bar was previously sold in a pack weighing 110g, but now tips the scales at 100g.Sep 26, 2023.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2023/sep/26/galaxy-chocolate-bars-now-10-smaller-amid-shrinkflation

The worldwide chocolate shortage comes on the heels of "changing weather" issues that "have threatened cocoa tree health and production," said a report by Wells Fargo. The phenomenon has caused major processing plants in Ghana and Ivory Coast to be unable to source their beans.

This Easter season, consumers can expect a spike in prices for their favorite chocolate treats as cocoa prices have reached historic highs due to dwindling supply caused by climate change, according to a recent report from Wells Fargo.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/food/2024/03/19/cocoa-prices-reach-historic-high-heres-what-consumers-can-expect/72887303007/

12 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

Sorry but that's just not correct.  Unions and the lack of business investment in canada means we have to rely more on resources. That's just the way it is.

Yes, I knew that decades ago when logging and fishing collapsed in my region and Canadians were being told to stop being hewers of wood and drawers of...fish, in my case. Remember the old cartoon about a service economy based on polishing one another's shoes?

Fortunately tourism took off and saved a number of us older workers. Just about all the new businesses I see starting up around here are by young people living the dream with their inheritances. Surf shops...pot shops...chocolate shops.

15 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

Sigh - you leftist never manage to get even the elementary stuff right.

This leftist gets it right a lot more than you ever do or could even if your life depended on it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, eyeball said:

Pointing out things you don't know squat about is always on topic with you.

Awww muffin ;)_   Have a cookie - you'll be fine :)

Shrinkflation is a tactic commonly used by the food industry, where manufacturers cut pack sizes without reducing prices, as they look to reduce their costs amid stubbornly high food price inflation.

Yep.  And our stubbornly high food inflation is thanks mostly to justin and his policies.

So - once again - you can thank your buddy justin for it.

Yes, I knew that decades ago

You haven't even figured it out now. You clearly didn't know it decades ago. You're still not getting it.

This leftist gets it right a lot more than you ever do or could even if your life depended on it.

Sure - the complete dumpster fire that is canada today is proof ofthat. 🙄

The left never gets it right. Its' always a disaster. And while my life might not depend on it the lives of the young people today are going to be much worse than they should have been because of it. Then the right steps in and things get better. Which is exactly what's going to happen now.

But you don't care about that - the little brats can suffer as long as you get to virtue signal a little harder, amirite!

2 hours ago, herbie said:

Right... 19th Century solutions will solve modern problems, eh?

Your answer is to raise taxes on working people to pay for more government programs.  How about letting people keep more of their earnings to spend it on what they value?  That’s what happens in free market democracies.

Edited by Zeitgeist

7 hours ago, herbie said:

Canada has always had a problem with productivity.....

Disagree.

In any country, productivity is hard to measure. In effect, it is GDP per capita.

=====

Canada is a successful society because foreigners want to live here.

43 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

So - once again - you can thank your buddy justin for it.

For the effects of climate change in Ghana and Ivory Coast.

LMAO!

This is what makes your ramblings so comparable to Marjorie Greene's and Q-anon.

49 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

You haven't even figured it out now. You clearly didn't know it decades ago. You're still not getting it.

Environmental/economic/social sustainability? I was an active participant in a community based association that actually had the word sustainability in its very name some 25 years ago now.

8 minutes ago, eyeball said:

For the effects of climate change in Ghana and Ivory Coast.

Yes because that's what shrinkflation is.  :)  You done smoked yourself retarded boy.

LMAO!

You're giving up already?

This is what makes your ramblings so comparable to Marjorie Greene's and Q-anon.

And that's what makes yours so comparable to pee wee herman.

Environmental/economic/social sustainability? I was an active participant in a community based association that actually had the word sustainability in its very name some 25 years ago now.

And yet we still have climate change! BUT HOW!!?!?!?!

Your nonsense aside, the topic was actually business investment and productivity.  See - this is why you failed to save the world - you have the attention span of a gold fish.

37 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

Yes because that's what shrinkflation is.

No, shrinkflation is a reaction to shortages. You seem to be of the belief that higher global prices for climate change related shortages on the other side of the planet are caused by Trudeau, which is retarded - like something Greene et al would say. 

50 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

Your nonsense aside, the topic was actually business investment and productivity.

Sure and I never disagreed that An economy with low productivity can grow only so quickly before inflation sets in.

I simply said that an economy that grows to quickly will impact the environment which also causes inflation.

For some reason that caused you to lose your shit.

11 hours ago, eyeball said:

No, shrinkflation is a reaction to shortages.

Your own source says you're wrong. Like - you took the time to go look it up but coulnd't bother to read it.

Shrinkflation is a result of inflation - instead of increasing prices they just reduce the product and hope people won't notice. it's 100 percent about inflation. Inflation CAN be about too many people competing for goods but that's not the definition at all, that's just one of the causes.

I would normally forgive you for not knowing - but you literally posted what i just said above in your cite.  You're a tard.

You seem to be of the belief that higher global prices for climate change related shortages on the other side of the planet are caused by Trudeau, which is retarded - like something Greene et al would say. 

it's certainly retarded to think that's my belief :)

Bananas are cheap. milk is expensive.  Where do we get milk from? Half way around the world? You think our beef comes from india? Our wheat from pakistan perhaps?  You're still a tard.

Sure and I never disagreed that An economy with low productivity can grow only so quickly before inflation sets in.

I simply said that an economy that grows to quickly will impact the environment which also causes inflation.

And i noted you were wrong. Thanks for playing.

For some reason that caused you to lose your shit.

Sure kiddo. :)

2 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

Your own source says you're wrong. Like - you took the time to go look it up but coulnd't bother to read it.

No you're just full of shit as usual.

Shrinkflation is a result of inflation

That's right, inflation that's increasingly caused by shortages due to climate change. 

Edited by eyeball

9 minutes ago, eyeball said:

No you're just full of shit as usual.

Awww muffin :)   you're butthurt about screwing up again :)  Understandable.

That's right, inflation that's increasingly caused by shortages due to climate change. 

Not really. And you certainly haven't shown that for canada.  I've posted dozens of stories about this from banks and leading experts - our inflation is caused by excessive gov't spening, excessive immigration and excessive taxation with the carbon tax being a prime culprit.

You could sort of say that high interest rates also add to inflation but we have high rates BECAUSE of inflation so it's a circular argument.  We woudln't have high interest if justin hadn't created high inflation.

Add those up and you get about 99 percent of our inflation or more.  And they're all in justin's control.  The scotia bank noted that if justin had cut spending by 3 percent we wouldnt' have needed to raise interest rates to get inflation under control.  Reducing immigration would have taken the severe strain off of housing.  Ditching the carbon tax would have made it cheaper to make and ship everything.

If global warming is in there - it's a tiny tiny tiny tiny fraction. Like i said - bananas are cheap.

Sorry - people are suffering due to left wing liberal policy when it comes to  inflation - not climate change.

Which is why it's going to be so easy for PP to look like a hero - spend less cut immigration and axe the tax and inflation goes bye  bye. 

4 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

Which is why it's going to be so easy for PP to look like a hero - spend less cut immigration and axe the tax and inflation goes bye  bye. 

No, it's like Queenmandy says, the easiest part is now. Good luck with it when PP is in power.

11 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

If global warming is in there - it's a tiny tiny tiny tiny fraction. Like i said - bananas are cheap.

It's 200 - 300% in the case of chocolate.

As for bananas...

Banana prices to go up as temperatures rise, says expert

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-68534309

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, eyeball said:

No, it's like Queenmandy says, the easiest part is now. Good luck with it when PP is in power.

Ummm - now is when the problem is happening.  The country is failing badly now.  The economy is suffering permanent damage now. People are going hungry now.

It WOULD have been easy to fix but leftes don't actually care - they PREFER people suffering because they're more reliant on the gov't then

The point in history where it will be easiest to address a bunch of this is when PP gets in and luck will not be a factor.  Basic competence is all it takes and he's got that in buckets.

15 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

Your answer is to raise taxes on working people to pay for more government programs.  How about letting people keep more of their earnings to spend it on what they value?  That’s what happens in free market democracies

Then how abour taxing what they spend more and what they earn less?

42 minutes ago, herbie said:

That just represses the economy. If people are penalized for buying things then they tend to either support the underground economy more or stop spending as much and guess what happens - businesses do bad and fail and people are out of work and pretty soon everyone's poor.

There is no way to tax people into prosperity.  The correct answer is you reduce tax burdens and help create more opportunity and encourage productivity investment.  Then more people get better jobs at higher pay and produce more doing it and things are good.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, herbie said:

How about stop taxing people so much, so they can keep more of what they earn?  Why are you hell bent on making Canada more communist than it already is?  Exorbitant taxation is theft.

Edited by Zeitgeist
  • Like 1