ANOTHER new study shows Woke people more likely to be depressed

https://nypost.com/2024/03/17/lifestyle/woke-people-more-likely-to-be-unahppy-anxious-and-depressed-new-study-suggests/

Psychological researchers in Finland have created an assessment to help measure an individual’s commitment to principles of social justice and made some surprising findings across the Finnish population — including a negative correlation between progressive ideals and levels of happiness.

Their findings, published in the Scandinavian Journal of Psychology, suggest other Western nations may see similar patterns among their socially conscious citizens.

However, the most concerning finding was the relationship between mental health and agreement with the scale. Specifically, researchers found a high prevalence of anxiety and depression in people who believe the statement “If white people have on average a higher income than black people, it is because of racism.” More broadly, they found that those who identified as left-wing were most likely to report lower mental well-being.

I think we all knew this was true. And other studies have lined up with this. Left wing woke social justice types are much more likely to be unhappy people will serious mental health concerns

• Like 1

In my opinion, you can only take on the weight of everyone's problems for so long before it takes a toll on you. 

We need to get back to civilized discourse on all sides. Trans aren't the enemy. First Nations aren't the enemy. White Christians aren't the enemy. All are people with worth as human beings.

One could argue these groups now labelled as "woke" have had a history of oppression and statistics would likely confirm to some degree discrepancies in housing, jobs, etc. The solutions are debatable (equity vs equality debate). 

There are some real world issues that require real solutions and understanding. 

Just my two cents.

Edited by West
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, West said:

In my opinion, you can only take on the weight of everyone's problems for so long before it takes a toll on you. 

We need to get back to civilized discourse on all sides. Trans aren't the enemy. First Nations aren't the enemy. White Christians aren't the enemy. All are people with worth as human beings.

Just my two cents.

That would be nice - but lets face it - as far as the trans and first nations are concerned we're the enemy.  And an industry has grown up around that and now it's being exploited - that won't be put down easily.

1 minute ago, CdnFox said:

That would be nice - but lets face it - as far as the trans and first nations are concerned we're the enemy.  And an industry has grown up around that and now it's being exploited - that won't be put down easily.

Their beefs are legitimate, such as rampant abuse that still cycles on. I'm not convinced the answer is more money as we have never spent more on social programs throughout our history than we have at this point. 

The solution is likely on a micro level now with folks learning to live in a place of common understanding.

• Like 1

Just now, West said:

Their beefs are legitimate, such as rampant abuse that still cycles on. I'm not convinced the answer is more money as we have never spent more on social programs throughout our history than we have at this point. 

The solution is likely on a micro level now with folks learning to live in a place of common understanding.

Everyone everywhere has a legitimate beef about something. There are jobs posted right now in canada that i can't apply for because of the colour of my skin.  I hear about how white cis males are the source of all evil in the universe and we should be taking everything they own because they don't deserve it all the time.  Neurodivergent people face a society that it's a severe struggle to live in and there's next to no sympathy. etc etc.

There comes a point where you have to look at it and set it aside and do what you can when you can and accept some people are bigoted asses.

So the problem is that some of these people want to say their beefs are the ONLY legitimate ones.  Women have no rights, just them. etc etc.  Who cares about your problems, i demand you address the issue of where i'm going to pee right now.

And until that changes, i just don't see how this can be anything but confrontational.

21 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

Everyone everywhere has a legitimate beef about something. There are jobs posted right now in canada that i can't apply for because of the colour of my skin.  I hear about how white cis males are the source of all evil in the universe and we should be taking everything they own because they don't deserve it all the time.  Neurodivergent people face a society that it's a severe struggle to live in and there's next to no sympathy. etc etc.

There comes a point where you have to look at it and set it aside and do what you can when you can and accept some people are bigoted asses.

So the problem is that some of these people want to say their beefs are the ONLY legitimate ones.  Women have no rights, just them. etc etc.  Who cares about your problems, i demand you address the issue of where i'm going to pee right now.

And until that changes, i just don't see how this can be anything but confrontational.

I see some of your point. I have pondered many of the same things. Political discussion by its nature is combative. The heated rhetoric isn't helping anyone at this point though  

53 minutes ago, West said:

One could argue these groups now labelled as "woke" have had a history of oppression and statistics would likely confirm to some degree discrepancies in housing, jobs, etc. The solutions are debatable (equity vs equality debate). 

Just my two cents.

That's right.  And this was how it was for the last several decades until recent years.  We had made a lot of progress with just about every marginalized group.  Good and reasonable people were honestly trying to understand and do what they could.  People like MLK were venerated heroes by both black and white people, we had a common understanding and relative social peace (shout-out to @Michael Hardner), or at least it was improving over the years and decades.

But now you're either a victim or an oppressor, every white person is called a racist etc, and it leads to divisive and toxic interactions like this:

Many of the woke people and their ideas are simply out of line and take things too far.  I've spent a lifetime doing what I can to help marginalized people and we were all doing it together.  But if the people I'm trying to help are going to start turning the aim of their barrel at me, attacking me and my race/ethnicity, trying to erase my culture, and denying me jobs or school admissions etc because of my race then my choice is to either be submissive to everything they say and  want, or I'm going to defend myself when I think something is unfair.  And if I'm labelled a racist or someone threatens my job and i'm insulted and yelled at or whatever just for defending myself and my rights then we're done here because nobody should put up with that nonsense.  Understanding and conversation ends and people are just going to retreat into their corners and growl because now it's a zero-sum game.  Woke people helped create people like Trump and DeSantis and it was totally predictable.

46 minutes ago, West said:

I see some of your point. I have pondered many of the same things. Political discussion by its nature is combative. The heated rhetoric isn't helping anyone at this point though  

well i remember the debates and discussions within the CPC back when it first formed over the whole 'gay marriage' issue and such and yeah things would get heated sometimes but there was a real sense of 'how do we address everyone's concerns'. And even with other political debates back in the day especially where there's no clean answer that everyone can be happy with (or at least equally mad about)  there's a sense of trying to understand where the other person is coming from and to be reasonable. And we just don't see that much anymore.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

woke.thumb.jpg.02d023f22c490c77bf5158fbf66a7b6a.jpg

I guess that's your way of saying "I  don't have an argument against this and i'm angry about it" :)

Why don't you show off how reasonable and mature you are by posting a picture of an ass with a face in it 10 times?  That'll REALLY make your argument :) 

4 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

I guess that's your way of saying "I  don't have an argument against this and i'm angry about it" :)

Why don't you show off how reasonable and mature you are by posting a picture of an ass with a face in it 10 times?  That'll REALLY make your argument :) 

Take a pill dude (or dudette) LOL

10 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

Take a pill dude (or dudette) LOL

Oh noes - butthurt leftie is butthurt!   LOL

I love the 'gay' or 'trans' reference - as if it's an insult :)  

The left - "WE MUST BE RESPECTFUL OF THE LBHQ2R People!!!!"

anyone else - Alwyas?

The Left " SHUT UP YOU HOMO!!!!"  

LOL - god you're always such a class act :)  

11 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

Oh noes - butthurt leftie is butthurt!   LOL

I love the 'gay' or 'trans' reference - as if it's an insult :)  

The left - "WE MUST BE RESPECTFUL OF THE LBHQ2R People!!!!"

anyone else - Alwyas?

The Left " SHUT UP YOU HOMO!!!!"  

LOL - god you're always such a class act :)  

OK, take 2 pills LOL

37 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

OHHHH such a clever boy :)   It must pain you to realize that even your insults to others make you look bad  :)  

OK, take as many pills as you need to mellow out. LOL

What insults? Hit you too hard? LOL

1 minute ago, ExFlyer said:

OK, take as many pills as you need to mellow out. LOL

Sure kid - the third time saying the same joke REALLY made it funny :) 

Hit you too hard? LOL

Why would it? I'm not homophobic, i don't think there's anything wrong with being gay.  So it really doesn't bother me.  It's like if you called me someone who eats pasta.  Sure -so what? Even if i don't it's not terribly offensive.

But obviously YOU think there's something wrong with being gay,  you think it's an insult to suggest someone's gay or trans.

Ahhh you lefties :) Always the hypocrite.  Why don't you ask your AI friend if it's ok to hate gays like you do?

I guess this really hammers home the point of the thread tho.   Here we have a leftist, exflyer, who is clearly an unhappy person.  He's also obviously got a bit of a mental conflict going on - he knows that as a leftist he's supposed to respect gays and trans people, but when it comes down to it he doesn't like them and thinks it's an insult to be though of that way.

That has GOT to create some internal turmoil and he'll be experiencing some cognitave dissonence (are you watching Robo? THATS what the word means :) )

So it's no wonder he's an unhappy person. This is a typical example of why the left are unhappy, depressed and suffer mental health issues.

1 hour ago, CdnFox said:

I guess this really hammers home the point of the thread tho.   Here we have a leftist, exflyer, who is clearly an unhappy person.  He's also obviously got a bit of a mental conflict going on - he knows that as a leftist he's supposed to respect gays and trans people, but when it comes down to it he doesn't like them and thinks it's an insult to be though of that way.

That has GOT to create some internal turmoil and he'll be experiencing some cognitave dissonence (are you watching Robo? THATS what the word means :) )

So it's no wonder he's an unhappy person. This is a typical example of why the left are unhappy, depressed and suffer mental health issues.

Oh wow...you sure got wound up by a little image from the internet

The person you speak of is all you if an image upsets you so much LOL

2 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

Oh wow...you sure got wound up by a little image from the internet

Wound up? This is just a little science experiment for me :)

Wound up is when you post an ass face 10 times in a row because you're having a hissy fit :)  See the difference?

4 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

Wow - i've done rendered you illiterate :) 

Here's the thing - you're desperate to think of me as 'upset' because YOU are upset and your projecting it on others. I'm actually fascinated by your little hissy fits and temper tantrums - we can learn a lot about the left observing people like you.

I am curious - why did you think it was an insult to question someone's sexuality?

4 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

Wound up? This is just a little science experiment for me :)

Wound up is when you post an ass face 10 times in a row because you're having a hissy fit :)  See the difference?

Wow - i've done rendered you illiterate :) 

Here's the thing - you're desperate to think of me as 'upset' because YOU are upset and your projecting it on others. I'm actually fascinated by your little hissy fits and temper tantrums - we can learn a lot about the left observing people like you.

I am curious - why did you think it was an insult to question someone's sexuality?

Science?? You?? LOL

It's an internet image LOL

I do not question your sexuality, I question your sanity and sense of civility LOL

Edited by ExFlyer

2 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

Science?? You?? LOL

Sure - i realize your experience with science is largely as being the guinea pig but some of us find it interesting :) 

Dude you have the emotional maturity of a 10 year old. You've shown that plenty. Normal mentally healthy males don't post ass pics repetitively on a forum as their way of coping with something they didn't want to hear. You're simply childish.  It's interesting to watch someone like you try to function in an adult setting.

32 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

Sure - i realize your experience with science is largely as being the guinea pig but some of us find it interesting :) 

Dude you have the emotional maturity of a 10 year old. You've shown that plenty. Normal mentally healthy males don't post ass pics repetitively on a forum as their way of coping with something they didn't want to hear. You're simply childish.  It's interesting to watch someone like you try to function in an adult setting.

Ha Ha Ha...

Another empty retort. Ha Ha Ha...

Oh and it ain't just any ole a ass pic, it is your assface selfie:)

35 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

Normal mentally healthy males don't post :) emojis 15 times in a single page lmao.

7 minutes ago, Black Dog said:

Normal mentally healthy males don't post :) emojis 15 times in a single page lmao.

Normal mentally healthy males don't ask for selfie photos on a single thread lmao.