2 minutes ago, blackbird said:

1. Why is "owned by the U.S." a big concern to you?  

1. Because they get Canadian government money, and take it offshore.  CBC money doesn't go offshore.  CBC takes a lot of s*** from people on here, sometimes the national post gets a pass.  That's all.

There are many, many issues with the CBC, but if we're going to criticize media, let's criticize all media.

1 minute ago, Michael Hardner said:

There are many, many issues with the CBC, but if we're going to criticize media, let's criticize all media.

The CBC is kind of like Radio Moscow was in the Soviet era.  It carries the government line and promotes Liberal government ideology yet is funded by all taxpayers regardless of political beliefs.

Are you opposed to singling out certain media as a problem?

Why even fund any media?  I am not sure media connected to U.S. is funneling money "offshore".   All multinational companies operating in Canada could be said to be "funneling money offshore".  So what?  That is the way the world is structured.  Business and companies of all kinds operate across borders.  We benefit from multinationals.  They create hundreds of thousands of jobs in Canada.  Our prosperity depends on them. 

They provide the money or investment to create companies and do business in Canada.  Without them, we would not have much and be very poor.  Much of our goods are manufactured in other countries.  We sell natural resources to other countries and buy from other countries.  Corporation based in other countries operate in Canada.  That's just how the world functions.

9 minutes ago, blackbird said:

1. The CBC is kind of like Radio Moscow was in the Soviet era.   

2. Are you opposed to singling out certain media as a problem?

1. Sort of but not to the degree people on here say.

2. Well, what's wrong with trying to name all media that are problematic?  Don't think that it's odd to decry government supported media and never mention the NP?

1 minute ago, Michael Hardner said:

1. Sort of but not to the degree people on here say.

2. Well, what's wrong with trying to name all media that are problematic?  Don't think that it's odd to decry government supported media and never mention the NP?

Yes government funding of all media is problematic, but especially so if the media being funded seems uncritical of the government doing the funding.

Look, CBC has had some great programming over the years, but we’ve lost some of the great interviewing, reporting, sports coverage, and home grown comedy in exchange for more preachy identify politics that’s based on imported US narratives.

What do you like on the CBC today?  What has gotten better instead of worse?

1 minute ago, Zeitgeist said:

1. Yes government funding of all media is problematic, but especially so if the media being funded seems uncritical of the government doing the funding.

2. What do you like on the CBC today?  What has gotten better instead of worse?

1. Thanks.  Trying to assess how critical any media is is difficult.  In the past I have pointed out that the CBC Brooks stories that hurt Trudeau, and the response I got from the board was... Well. They didn't have a choice.  So it's hard to be objective about what's going on in a newsroom that we have no visibility into.  Is the national post sitting on stories about Trudeau? Who knows?  For these kind of questions, I don't even trust my own instincts on what's happening, I look for objective signifiers wherever possible.

But thanks for the agreement.

2. The CBC is a horrible organization. I like local programming and some national content on CBC one radio. That's it. I don't watch the television networks.

1 hour ago, Michael Hardner said:

2. Well, what's wrong with trying to name all media that are problematic? 

There is lots wrong with that suggestion.  I don't have time to spend studying all the media.  There are many higher priorities in life.  

8 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

I understand wanting to find reputable sources, but the traditional trusted news sources are not as neutral as they used to be.  News sections that purport to be objective often read like opinion pieces.  The only credible major newspaper left in Canada is the National Post, mostly because its owners aren’t as dependent on or concerned about government funding.  I used to think it was a conservative paper, but all popular political options in Canada are middle left to radical left now.  Epoch Times is also quite good.  My former favourite for more local Toronto and Ontario news, the Toronto Star, sounds too much now like the Marxist-Leninist rags handed out free when I was in university.

For fair North American content I read Free Press on Substack, which is left leaning but very much open to a plurality of opinions. Rising on YouTube is also good but America-focused.  For the Catholic perspective I read Lifesite News, though it’s very critical of the Francis Pontificate, and I can see why.

Beyond that I mostly pull information from my daily Apple News feeds, which come from a variety of sources. YouTube is more fringe but quite censored. Rumble is even more fringe, but on those platforms you’ll find insightful interviews with people like Matt Taibi or Michael Shellenberger, who are serious journalists with important critiques.

All this says is you are in a echo chamber and proud of it. You're complaining about the supposed lack of objectivity in "traditional trusted news sources" but everything here is overtly right of centre so it's clear "neutrality" isn't what you're looking for, but reinforcement of your preexisting beliefs.

Edited by Black Dog
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Black Dog said:

All this says is you are in an echo chamber and proud of it. You're complaining about the supposed lack of objectivity in "traditional trusted news sources" but everything here is overtly right of centre so it's clear "neutrality" isn't what you're looking for, but reinforcement of your preexisting beliefs.

Try again, Hardner.

6 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

1. Because they get Canadian government money, and take it offshore.  CBC money doesn't go offshore.  CBC takes a lot of s*** from people on here, sometimes the national post gets a pass.  That's all.

Maybe we should talk about the subject in this feed, bill 367.

Edited by blackbird

6 hours ago, Black Dog said:

Inbreds, the lot of them.

the House of Hanover is the most successful dynasty in the history of the world

founders of the British Empire at Quebec in 1763

and even if George III lost America in the War of Independence

America itself is inherently Hanoverian 

the Scots - Irish Protestant Superpower

Nec Aspera Terrent