Pierre Poilievre releases four-point plan to tackle auto theft

When I do business in the rest of the world, I am now ashamed to admit to be Canadian.  The car theft thing is a joke.  Organized crime has a field day here stealing/exporting cars, importing drugs, running prostitution rings and so on.  They do this because they KNOW they are not likely to get caught and will never have to bother paying tax on their income.   Not just a Liberal problem, but their soft on crime, catch and release, etc. policies sure as Hell don't help fix anything

2 hours ago, herbie said:

the builders will sell for below fair market value?

No they won't.

However, to remove what is stopping part of what is keeping housing inventory very low, and building well below demand will keep prices high. Start meeting demand, and the prices will start coming down, and thus becoming more affordable.

I believe the government should simply remove part of the inhibiting forces, and and step back and allow our markets to recover on their own.

I see it the same for small businesses, which have been crushed under Trudeau's government.

Long story short--I will either vote Conservative and rejoice when they win, or we're prepared to move to Hong Kong or the Philippines. There is absolutely no way I live with another 4 years of Trudeau. He can continue destroying his country, I'll use my assets to build communities and businesses elsewhere.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Perspektiv said:

No they won't.

However, to remove what is stopping part of what is keeping housing inventory very low, and building well below demand will keep prices high. Start meeting demand, and the prices will start coming down, and thus becoming more affordable.

I believe the government should simply remove part of the inhibiting forces, and and step back and allow our markets to recover on their own.

I see it the same for small businesses, which have been crushed under Trudeau's government.

Long story short--I will either vote Conservative and rejoice when they win, or we're prepared to move to Hong Kong or the Philippines. There is absolutely no way I live with another 4 years of Trudeau. He can continue destroying his country, I'll use my assets to build communities and businesses elsewhere.

Yup.

as i said - gov't doesn't need to build houses - it just needs to get out of the way of those who do and give them the tools to do the job.

Now - cutting back on immigration till that happens helps a lot too.

And there's a number of things they can do to inspire builders to build.

But the free market is a VERY effective mechanism. Let it do it's job and it can solve the problem.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

it just needs to get out of the way of those who do and give them the tools to do the job.

Just the arrogance of Trudeau feeling he needs to be there for the market to sort itself out.

Canada has a great market. Its just harder to see its full potential, when its running under the weight of this government.

6 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

Now - cutting back on immigration till that happens helps a lot too.

Exactly. Using massive numbers to virtue signal, without accepting the unintended consequences doesn't show in my opinion, that a government genuinely cares about his country or immigration.

If you genuinely cared about the latter, you would want immigrants to come to Canada for opportunity--not struggle.

• Like 1

I hope someone is actually keeping track of all theses "plans and promises" PP is making for when it really counts.

All is fluff and hot air until it is really election time.

I think most of the stuff he is espousing will be forgotten by the time election rolls around.

This is politics. All parties blow smoke between elections but, the real deal won't happen till after the elections and then we start all over again with smoke.

Edited by ExFlyer

Car theft benefits car manufacturers who replace stolen cars, insurers who double their premiums, customs officers and the police who see their staff numbers and the money allocated to them increase, unions who benefit from an increase in workers and profits, then it is not possible to prevent car theft when those who are supposed to do it profit from it. You can't have God and money, it's one or the other.

3 hours ago, ExFlyer said:

This is politics.

I will risk a politician blowing hot air on the potential he makes good on some of his promises. 

I have a hard time keeping the keys to the house in the hands of someone who has done nothing but blow hot air, but choose to shame and additionally tax us for our troubles. 

32 minutes ago, Gaétan said:

You can't have God and money

You clearly haven't seen Mormon churches around here.

45 minutes ago, Perspektiv said:

I will risk a politician blowing hot air on the potential he makes good on some of his promises. 

I have a hard time keeping the keys to the house in the hands of someone who has done nothing but blow hot air, but choose to shame and additionally tax us for our troubles. 

You clearly haven't seen Mormon churches around here.

The risk is 2 years away and the smoke will have dispersed LOL

So, at present,  we have 2 people blowing smoke LOL

On 2/9/2024 at 1:17 PM, ExFlyer said:

The risk is 2 years away and the smoke will have dispersed LOL

So, at present,  we have 2 people blowing smoke LOL

I prefer a politician selling hope, vs one fully having removed it. Beauty of a democratic country.

Poilievre has 4 years to show he knows what he's doing, after years of pointing out Trudeau's incompetence. Failure of doing so, gets him voted out. If he's smart, he knows people won't give him the pass Trudeau has enjoyed. He will be expected to deliver results.

3 hours ago, Perspektiv said:

I prefer a politician selling hope, vs one fully having removed it. Beauty of a democratic country.

Poilievre has 4 years to show he knows what he's doing, after years of pointing out Trudeau's incompetence. Failure of doing so, gets him voted out. If he's smart, he knows people won't give him the pass Trudeau has enjoyed. He will be expected to deliver results.

Hope is as in the clouds as promises. Neither is anything.

We all loved Justin when he took out Harper. We hoped he would do as he promised. Unfortunately, he did LOL. We all wanted legalized marijuana so we paid no attention to the  rest of his agenda. Now he is doing as he promised and we are all pissed. We could have a;so voted out Justin but no, we kept him on...and on....

My point is, a speech, proposal, promise or pre election rhetoric is worth nothing.

9 hours ago, Perspektiv said:

That is always the biggest problem being a conservative leader in Canada.  IF you're a lib you can lie your ass off and crash and burn the country and your supporters will still vote for you.  But a conservative isn't allowed to lie and must deliver or the conservative voters will punish them.

Liberals and ndp are basically fine with corruption and failure on a federal level. For the libs it's practically a prerequisite.

• Like 1

On 2/11/2024 at 9:17 AM, ExFlyer said:

Hope is as in the clouds as promises. Neither is anything.

We all loved Justin when he took out Harper. We hoped he would do as he promised. Unfortunately, he did LOL. We all wanted legalized marijuana so we paid no attention to the  rest of his agenda. Now he is doing as he promised and we are all pissed. We could have a;so voted out Justin but no, we kept him on...and on....

My point is, a speech, proposal, promise or pre election rhetoric is worth nothing.

Do you really think justin got elected on making pot legal...what of all the rest of his promises ? What has the liberals done in the last 8 years that has been of any great value to this country...promises that they made and kept, not anything that the NDP blackmailed them with...but actual promises made during election times...

This liberal government has done more harm than good, and i will give them credit not everything they have done is sh*t they have done some good things...but overall i would have to give them a failing grade over the last 8 plus years..

And that is on the Canadian voters as well they own just as much of the liberal failure as justin does...

That should be a huge red flag to all Canadians, when the person you're voting for can't manage to keep his word...But somehow that has been become a normal practice because the typical voter either votes along party lines, or is really gullible...or stupid you pick...

We as a nation deserve exactly what we get, because we don't take an interest in politics as much as we should and we are content to live in our bubbles and let people who should not be running a corner store let alone the country get voted in...

Canadians are to lazy, and not very intelligent when it comes to our country issues..  

30 minutes ago, Army Guy said:

Do you really think justin got elected on making pot legal...what of all the rest of his promises ? What has the liberals done in the last 8 years that has been of any great value to this country...promises that they made and kept, not anything that the NDP blackmailed them with...but actual promises made during election times...

This liberal government has done more harm than good, and i will give them credit not everything they have done is sh*t they have done some good things...but overall i would have to give them a failing grade over the last 8 plus years..

And that is on the Canadian voters as well they own just as much of the liberal failure as justin does...

That should be a huge red flag to all Canadians, when the person you're voting for can't manage to keep his word...But somehow that has been become a normal practice because the typical voter either votes along party lines, or is really gullible...or stupid you pick...

We as a nation deserve exactly what we get, because we don't take an interest in politics as much as we should and we are content to live in our bubbles and let people who should not be running a corner store let alone the country get voted in...

Canadians are to lazy, and not very intelligent when it comes to our country issues..  

I am not and cannot argue this but, am I sure legalizing pot was the reason for his first election? For sure! More voters in 2015 since 1993. 30% increase in the 18 to 34 year olds :)

Has the liberal government done more harm than good? Well, 3 elections later says no, they did no harm. (sarcastic). You are so right, we deserve what we get and since 2015, we wanted Justin.

I am far from a Justin fan but really, what has the opposition had to offer?  I personally think PP will win the next election by default. I do love winding up the republicans ...er, I mean conservatives on this forum though. :)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

am far from a Justin fan but really, what has the opposition had to offer?

Fiscal responsibility.

Unity instead of dividing the country for votes

sane immigration policies that don't drive up inflation and make homes unaffordable

Growth of business productivity which directly impacts quality of life.

the elimination of corruption.

Airports and passport offices that work.

The restoration of our reputation on the world scale.

Trade agreements and more trade with existing partners.

Was that enough? Did you need more?

The liberal excuse of 'well we had to vote for corruption because what else was there" is  disgusting.  Saying "i'm not a fan but.... " is saying "I'll accept corruption and the destruction of the next generations future.".