Canada's criminal justice system gets failing grade

The McDonald-Laurier Institute has come out with their 'report card' on our criminal justice system and after years of Trudeau and his soft-on-crime policies, it's - not good.

But then, would we expect it to be? A system that prioritizes racial virtue signaling over justice could hardly be expected to be fair. A legal system run by judges appointed for their progressive views can hardly expect to deliver stern punishment to offenders. Laws written by virtue-signaling fools can hardly expect to keep Canadians safe.

The homicide and sexual assault rates are the highest they've been in thirty years, with the violent crime index the highest it's been in 16 years. Police, hamstrung by new laws, are solving fewer cases, and fewer of those are actually resulting in punishment. Court cases are taking longer, too.

https://macdonaldlaurier.ca/report-card-criminal-justice-system/jsrc2023/

• Like 1

SHOCKED! SHOCKED AM I that releasing violent criminals back into the public the moment they're arrested doesn't prevent them from offending again!!

I've heard from police i know that they just don't bother anymore. There's literally no point in risking their lives or safety to catch a bad guy when he'll be out pointing at them and laughing in an hour.

That definitely has the ring of truth.  And when bad guys don't fear being caught or punished there's nothing to hold them back

Just now, OftenWrong said:

I read that violence in Toronto is through the roof. The premier's suggestion? Sleep with a baseball bat...

Well that's about the best he can do till someone tells the courts to get serious about locking criminals up. With justin's 2017 changes to the laws there's squat anyone can do

my baseball bat was made by winchester :)  

11 hours ago, CdnFox said:

Well that's about the best he can do till someone tells the courts to get serious about locking criminals up. With justin's 2017 changes to the laws there's squat anyone can do

He could help the cities hire more cops, even require them to. He could build more courtrooms so it doesn't take three years to get a court date. Maybe then it would enable them to keep more people in jail on bail until their trials.

3 hours ago, I am Groot said:

He could help the cities hire more cops, even require them to.

Why?  The cops are sick of bothering. They catch a guy today and it is FREQUENT - FREQUENT that it's out that afternoon committing the SAME CRIME.  I posted a number of examples and the cops i know well are just heartbroken because what do you say to your buddy who just dones't bother taking a criminal in when he says 'what's the point, i caught this guy twice last week".

So what would it do.  It's not like the police AREN"T catching them - they ARE catching them.  So what's more police going to do.  Seriously how would it help.

He could build more courtrooms so it doesn't take three years to get a court date.

Even provinciala court judges are federally funded and appointed - unless trudeau agreed to more funding and more judges you would not have more provinical court judges.  How would more buildings help. And if all the judges are going to do is release them anyway that afternoon what's the point?

The federal government appoints and pays for both the judges of the federal courts and the judges of the superior appellate and trial level courts of each province. The provincial governments are responsible for appointing judges of the lower provincial courts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Court_system_of_Canada

So it's still a federal funding problem if you want to get court cases done faster.

Maybe then it would enable them to keep more people in jail on bail until their trials.

Keep.... more.... people... in  jail on bail. Yeah - that's not how bail works - they're not in jail.

Right now trudeau's law passed in 2017 basically requires that all people regardless of how violent their crime or how many times they've offended or how likely they are to reoffend MUST be granted bail.

You arent' solving this provincially. This is a federal problem.

I guess the criticism is all by who you disagree with?

Every side has a story....

The courts and the numerous appeals systems and the lawyers representing the accused have their opportunities to prove themselves, regardless who is appointed by whom.

1 hour ago, CdnFox said:

Why?  The cops are sick of bothering.

In some cases, yes, especially lower level street crimes, but that doesn't mean we don't need more cops. As a recent column by a guy in the Globe who is mostly left center said, quoting Toronto's police chief:

He says the time it takes police to respond to high-priority calls has reached 22.6 minutes, up from 12.8 minutes in 2010. “We had 600 more officers back then, with 5,615 total uniform strength and nearly half a million fewer citizens to serve,” he wrote in the Toronto Star.

In one recent case, he said, a resident had to wait 50 minutes for police after calling to say that three suspects were trying to steal his truck. In the meantime, the thieves kicked in the door and threatened to shoot him. “The current reality experienced by our residents keeps me up at night,” wrote the chief.

Police aren’t crying wolf this time - The Globe and Mail

1 hour ago, CdnFox said:

So what would it do.  It's not like the police AREN"T catching them - they ARE catching them.

But, according to the data posted above, they're catching them less often.

1 hour ago, CdnFox said:

Even provinciala court judges are federally funded and appointed - unless trudeau agreed to more funding and more judges you would not have more provinical court judges.  How would more buildings help. And if all the judges are going to do is release them anyway that afternoon what's the point?

Because more court rooms staffed with all the people you need EXCEPT the judge is up to the province, and I've been hearing a lot lately about trials postponed because courtrooms weren't available.

1 hour ago, CdnFox said:

Keep.... more.... people... in  jail on bail. Yeah - that's not how bail works - they're not in jail.

I know how it works. It was a slip of the tongue in writing. My point was they SHOULD be in jail, but if the trial won't be for three years how do we keep "innocent" people locked up that long?

16 hours ago, CdnFox said:

Mine as well, but be prepared to spend a long time in jail if you use it, and injure someone......i had a friend of mine try and stop 4 youths from breaking into his garage, he came out with his double barreled shotgun, that was broken in half with no shells in it...he assumed 4 against one the sight of a gun would be the equalizer...and it worked when RCMP showed up all the youths were laying face down on his lawn, he was sitting on the curb, his shotgun laying in the grass...he was arrested the youths were let go, He had all his weapons' seized, he spent a couple days in jail....and fined, he to this day has not got his weapons back, they are still being held temporarily that was almost 2 years ago...

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, I am Groot said:

In some cases, yes, especially lower level street crimes, but that doesn't mean we don't need more cops. As a recent column by a guy in the Globe who is mostly left center said, quoting Toronto's police chief:

He says the time it takes police to respond to high-priority calls has reached 22.6 minutes, up from 12.8 minutes in 2010. “We had 600 more officers back then, with 5,615 total uniform strength and nearly half a million fewer citizens to serve,” he wrote in the Toronto Star.

Yeah and i'm sure the ones there are 'rushing' to the scene to catch the guy so they can put them back on the street 5 minutes later.

Dude there's just no point until the justice system is willing to deal with them

f.

Police aren’t crying wolf this time - The Globe and Mail

But, according to the data posted above, they're catching them less often.

Because more court rooms staffed with all the people you need EXCEPT the judge is up to the province, and I've been hearing a lot lately about trials postponed because courtrooms weren't available.

I'm just not buying it.  But we still come back to the same point - if we have an infinite number of active judges and courtrooms, if the violent repeat offender is immediately released again then what is the point?  Oh you got them in and out of the system a tiny bit faster. Yay.   Trudeau did this on PURPOSE to avoid having to build prisons.

You're trying to take a sliver out of a finger while there's a machete stuck in the gut.  If you fix the laws and fund the judges and pick ones who dont' think castro was the victim then we can start to tune the rest of it successfully but you can't the way things are and that's just not ford's fault.

Vancouver put more money into policing, held summits did safe supply a bunch of stuff - really hasn't fixed the problems. A rapist was arrested in the morning recently and re-raped the same minor that afternoon.

If you REALLY give a damn about this topic, take a look at the "most wanted" lists region by region.  You will find a huge portion of those individuals are clearly immigrants or from immigrant families from cultures that are - to say the least - not exactly of same value set as the population of this country over most of the last two centuries.  Another significant group is aboriginal Canadians, but less so on the "most wanted" list as they simply walk in and out of the Liberal "catch and release" system only pausing to stab a few dozen people along the way (as happened in SK last year) that takes them off of the "most wanted" list.

With $1.4 TRILLION in racked up debt from buying votes with future taxpayers' money there is no consequence for doing so, thus we "voters" get what we deserve - i.e. what we elected.  The country has become a failed nation/state and we are along for the ride.

Worth noting that the US, EU and UK have similar problems with globalized and looney left virtue signaling immigration, violent crime, drugs and debt as we do.

Edited by cannuck