Canada & NATO

On 3/3/2024 at 7:20 PM, August1991 said:

Historical Note:

The Finns allied with Hitler because Stalin invaded them.

The Swedes remained neutral during both World Wars. "Not my problem!"

The Norwegians collaberated - Google: Quisling.  

Quisling led a collaboration government in spite of being opposed by the King who fled to Britain. Norway resisted Germany's invasion and continued to resist throughout the war.

Shetland Bus

The Kings Choice

Good movie. I recommend it.

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, herbie said:

which reminds me:

Try our new body lotion from Vichy - it collaborates with your skin.

When Norway got its independence from Sweden they asked the brother of the King of Denmark to take the throne. When the Germans invaded Norway they pressed him to accept German rule like his brother. He refused and fled to Britain where he headed the government in exile and resistance to the German occupation. Just as the Dutch queen did when she and her family fled to Canada and set up a government in exile.

Edited by Aristides

Had a couple customers, older Norweg\ian and a Finn that would come with coffees and chat me up with war stories. The Finn had a photo album from thr war repainting Russian tanks a unit hijacked and later chasing out Germans on skis. The other guy serviced Spitfires in Britain.
Both are now so damn old they called me to fix their landlines and I had to remind them that was my job 30 years ago...

wonder if there's any other dubious Brand Names relying on 'market memory loss' ?

On 3/27/2024 at 3:18 PM, herbie said:

which reminds me:

Try our new body lotion from Vichy - it collaborates with your skin.

You imagine a world as in the 1930s. Facing Hitler, appeasement. Churchill.

I strongly disagree,

IMHO, we currently live in a world like the Titanic of 1912 - prior to August 1914.

An elite is clueless.

23 hours ago, herbie said:

Had a couple customers, older Norweg\ian and a Finn that would come with coffees and chat me up with war stories. The Finn had a photo album from thr war repainting Russian tanks...

Finns? Russians? 

Many thoughts.

We Canadians landed in Dieppe.

• 4 weeks later...

The Western world (i.e. NATO) has Putin, Xi, Khamenei and Kim - all with or very near full nuclear capability and all led by people a few bricks short of a load.   Damn straight we need NATO - just that since the Turd...uh....TRUdeau dynasty has dedicated its every effort into turning or military into some social engineering experiment instead of keeping up and in synch with our allies' defensive technology.

27 minutes ago, cannuck said:

The Western world (i.e. NATO) has Putin, Xi, Khamenei and Kim - all with or very near full nuclear capability and all led by people a few bricks short of a load.   Damn straight we need NATO - just that since the Turd...uh....TRUdeau dynasty has dedicated its every effort into turning or military into some social engineering experiment instead of keeping up and in synch with our allies' defensive technology.

I disagree so strongly.

The Economist magazine is now talking about conscription in Western countries.

====

This is not the 1930s.

This current situation reminds me of the events in 1912-1913 with various Balkan wars.

A clueless diplomatic elite is leading ordinary people into total disaster.

4 minutes ago, August1991 said:

I disagree so strongly.

The Economist magazine is now talking about conscription in Western countries.

====

This is not the 1930s.

This current situation reminds me of the events in 1912-1913 with various Balkan wars.

A clueless diplomatic elite is leading ordinary people into total disaster.

I actually think a term of compulsory service would be a good thing for young people. Doesn’t seem to have hurt the Scandinavians or Swiss. When a referendum was held in Switzerland to ban conscription 73% voted to keep it so they must see some good in it. Canadians seem to think their country owes them. 

2 hours ago, Aristides said:

I actually think a term of compulsory service would be a good thing for young people.

Compulsory military service is a tax. To our credit, we in Canada have never had such a federal tax.

======

To return to my post that you quoted:

-Biden -like Amazon - seems to want to change the world.

-Trump -like WalMart - seems to want to get me a good deal.

On 4/22/2024 at 11:01 AM, Aristides said:

So you don't believe in taxes either.

I believe in taxes. To have a civilised society, we must force people to pay.

I just don't think that a civilised society imposes such a tax where only young men pay it.

----

But to return to my OP, I am terrified that so many in the US elite - Republicans and Democrats - want to start a war.

They want regime change in Russia.

This is madness.

56 minutes ago, August1991 said:

I believe in taxes. To have a civilised society, we must force people to pay.

I just don't think that a civilised society imposes such a tax where only young men pay it.

----

But to return to my OP, I am terrified that so many in the US elite - Republicans and Democrats - want to start a war.

They want regime change in Russia.

This is madness.

Russia wants regime change in Ukraine. They already started a war.

1 hour ago, August1991 said:

Disagree.

There is eastern Ukraine and western Ukraine. Like the Balkans,

===

IMHO, Russia did not start this March 2022 war.

It started because of a failure of diplomacy. Like August 1914.

It started because Putin wants a bunch of Ukraine if not all of it. He annexed Crimea in 2014 and had been fighting a proxy war in Donbas ever since. They even shot down a Malaysian airliner. You would sell out your grandmother to avoid standing up to a tyrant. This is more like 1939 than 1914.

Edited by Aristides

2 hours ago, Aristides said:

It started because Putin wants a bunch of Ukraine if not all of it. He annexed Crimea in 2014 and had been fighting a proxy war in Donbas ever since. They even shot down a Malaysian airliner. You would sell out your grandmother to avoid standing up to a tyrant. This is more like 1939 than 1914.

Disagree.

Ukraine? You describe a Balkan War of nationalism.

And then, as in summer 1914, diplomats/elites said the war would be short.

======

This is not 1938 when ordinary people suffered the bad decisions of an elite. 

It is 1912. Our elite is clueless and about to lead us into another disaster.

Edited by August1991

6 hours ago, Aristides said:

From what I've read, if the U.S. hadn't meddled in Ukrainian politics, quite possibly playing a military role in the Euromaidan Coup, Russia would have left Ukraine's borders alone.

A good article on this:

U.S Sponsored Neo-Nazi Ukraine 2014 EuroMaidan. The Hiring of Snipers | Global Research

Afterwards, Russia accepted Crimea's referendum request to leave Ukraine:

Return to Russia: Crimeans tell the real story of the 2014 referendum and their lives since | Mint Press News

After 2014, civil war broke out in Ukraine between western Ukraine and the Donbass region of Eastern Ukraine. Russia tried hard to resolve this war politically, but to no avail. I think that former Swiss Intelligence officer Jacques Baud wrote a good article on this time period, as well as the leadup to Russia finally deciding that the only way to properly resolve this conflict was to intervene militarily. His article is here:

Former NATO Military Analyst Blows the Whistle on West’s Ukraine Invasion Narrative | Scheerpost

I have a little trouble with the situation in Ukraine.  When I was last there (;90s) hardly anyone East from Kiev even spoke Ukrainian - due to the fact that the Crimea was part of Mother Russia until Kruschev gave it to Ukraine (to lock them forever together - so he thought).   Part of the heavy Russian presence in the East was historically slavic and part was due to USSR shipping in people.   As much as I detest the Joe Stalin wannabe in Moscow there is SOME rationale for Russia's interests.