Ontario Teachers to go on Strike Again

Here we go again.

Ontario elementary, secondary teachers to hold strike votes

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ont-teachers-strike-votes-1.6936205

Already one of if not the highest paid and for sure a gold plated pension and all the benefits as well as only having to work for what? 170 days a year??

Ontario teachers making more than $100K per year more than doubled between 2020 and 2020. "The number of teachers earning $100,000 or more is at "historic highs," Sarkaria wrote, with 65,510 in 2022, up from 29,975 in 2022."

https://www.cp24.com/mobile/news/ontario-has-released-its-so-called-sunshine-list-for-100k-earners-267-000-people-made-the-cut-1.6328013?cache=396

Edited by ExFlyer
date correction

This would go over like a lead balloon.

My son is supposed to start school this fall. 

That being said 1% increases are a bit of a joke considering the inflation we've seen. 

I would hope the government wouldn't be that cheap-ass. Inflation has most certainly increased their revenue. 

Salary levels would need union busting to lower them.  If you're going to bust teachers, then you should bust cops and especially firefighters who never get criticized and have a sweetheart deal.

Training and inflation increases are reasonable, and if the give wants to strongarm them of course they're going to strike.

37 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

Salary levels would need union busting to lower them.  If you're going to bust teachers, then you should bust cops and especially firefighters who never get criticized and have a sweetheart deal.

Training and inflation increases are reasonable, and if the give wants to strongarm them of course they're going to strike.

Lemme see, how many teachers solve crime or put themselves in danger? Or, how many teachers put out fires and save people and property? How many cops and firefighter have nice indoor jobs year round? And both cops and firefighters work more than 170 days per year.

Also, I am sure you are aware that the province gives the boards the money to operate and the board decides salary and infrastructure etc with that money. that is why there is differences in salary among the boards in Ontario.

Lastly, like the saying goes, "The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else" and who get less and where do you want to cut?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

Lemme see, how many teachers solve crime or put themselves in danger? Or, how many teachers put out fires and save people and property? How many cops and firefighter have nice indoor jobs year round? And both cops and firefighters work more than 170 days per year.

Also, I am sure you are aware that the province gives the boards the money to operate and the board decides salary and infrastructure etc with that money. that is why there is differences in salary among the boards in Ontario.

Lastly, like the saying goes, "The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else" and who get less and where do you want to cut?

Firefighters also spend a good chunk of their paid time sleeping. 

Teachers are tasked with educating children. It's an important job. It's ignorant to imply otherwise. 

Regardless a Cost-of-Living increase is the bare minimum in this climate for any employee, of any job, let alone one with such an important job. A McDonalds employee would laugh at a 1% increase these days. 

1 minute ago, Nationalist said:

I would have...and did feel the same when they were in school and these brats did this crap.

Fire their asses and see how they back-peddle as fast as they can.

It's a legal strike, they're without a contract. I'm sure courts would have something to say about that. 

25 minutes ago, Boges said:

Firefighters also spend a good chunk of their paid time sleeping. 

Teachers are tasked with educating children. It's an important job. It's ignorant to imply otherwise. 

Regardless a Cost-of-Living increase is the bare minimum in this climate for any employee, of any job, let alone one with such an important job. A McDonalds employee would laugh at a 1% increase these days. 

Yeah well, firefighters are on duty 24 per day as opposed to the 9 to 3 that teachers are and work all year long and not just 170 days per year.

It is even more ignorant to compare cops and firefighter that face danger all the time to a teacher sitting in a school.

Yeah well, a McDonalds employee is not on the sunshine and making more then $100K per year like over half of the teachers in Ontario. https://www.cp24.com/mobile/news/ontario-has-released-its-so-called-sunshine-list-for-100k-earners-267-000-people-made-the-cut-1.6328013?cache=396

54 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

1. Lemme see, how many teachers solve crime or put themselves in danger?

2. that is why there is differences in salary among the boards in Ontario.

3. Lastly, like the saying goes, "The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else" and who get less and where do you want to cut?

1. Uh, sorry.  The idea that people should be paid according to danger in the job isn't practical.  How about required training?  How about overall importance to society?  Or maybe just leave it to the institutions that operate openly in the public sphere... This is just a non starter.

2. I don't see the relevance, but if you can explain I'd be open to listening.  And I think that it may be wrong anyway.  ETFO has grades based on experience, education achievements but not location afaik.

3. A better way to look at it is that people are compensated for how they contribute to society.  Some services make more sense to be publicly provided, others privately.  

1 minute ago, ExFlyer said:

Yeah well, firefighters are on duty 24 per day as opposed to the 9 to 3 that teachers are and work all year long and not just 170 days per year.

I'm sure they've collectively bargained that. As the teachers are collectively bargaining. I think it makes much more sense to have them on regular rotating 12-hour shifts. 

It is even more ignorant to compare cops and firefighter that face danger all the time to a teacher sitting in a school.

Sure and they're well compensated. And firefighters don't face dangers "All the time". A good chunk of the time you see a fire truck going down the street, lights blaring, it's to a medical call to beat out a paramedic because insurance dictates that fire stations should be regularly distributed throughout a city or town. 

Yeah well, a McDonalds employee is not on the sunshine and making more then $100K per year like over half of the teachers in Ontario. https://www.cp24.com/mobile/news/ontario-has-released-its-so-called-sunshine-list-for-100k-earners-267-000-people-made-the-cut-1.6328013?cache=396

Have you done any critical analysis as to how many of those are teachers. 

Families making over $100,000 are, by no means rich, in this inflation era we live in. 

1 minute ago, Michael Hardner said:

1. Uh, sorry.  The idea that people should be paid according to danger in the job isn't practical.  How about required training?  How about overall importance to society?  Or maybe just leave it to the institutions that operate openly in the public sphere... This is just a non starter.

2. I don't see the relevance, but if you can explain I'd be open to listening.  And I think that it may be wrong anyway.  ETFO has grades based on experience, education achievements but not location afaik.

3. A better way to look at it is that people are compensated for how they contribute to society.  Some services make more sense to be publicly provided, others privately.  

1. So Michael, you are saying using a cop and firefighter year long work is a valid comparison to that of a teacher?

2. You are wrong, there are differences in teacher pay depending on boards.  https://www.jobbank.gc.ca/marketreport/wages-occupation/15904/ON

3.So, police and firefighters are less than teachers?

3 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

No, spoken like a person that is tired of allowing teachers using kids as a weapon to get more money.

Public Sector unions do what they do. I concede that. But in this inflation era, a 1% increase is a joke. It's essentially a huge pay cut. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

No, spoken like a person that is tired of allowing teachers using kids as a weapon to get more money.

That's just how unions work.  They're there to protect against unfairness from the government.  If they were cutting to zero, would you expect them to just accept it?

Union busting is the only way out.  Which means all unions, general strikes and so on.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Boges said:

I'm sure they've collectively bargained that. As the teachers are collectively bargaining. I think it makes much more sense to have them on regular rotating 12-hour shifts. 

Sure and they're well compensated. And firefighters don't face dangers "All the time". A good chunk of the time you see a fire truck going down the street, lights blaring, it's to a medical call to beat out a paramedic because insurance dictates that fire stations should be regularly distributed throughout a city or town. 

Have you done any critical analysis as to how many of those are teachers. 

Families making over $100,000 are, by no means rich, in this inflation era we live in. 

Cops and firefighters are in dangerous jobs and can be in danger any time of the day and any time of the year. If they are not in any given day, they are happy and lucky but, they are still placing themselves in situations every day.

It is union number and the list identifies them as teachers. I y ou have evidence to dispute, feel free to enlighten,.

3 minutes ago, Boges said:

Public Sector unions do what they do. I concede that. But in this inflation era, a 1% increase is a joke. It's essentially a huge pay cut. 

I have yet to hear what is being offered and more important, I have yet ot hear what the union is asking.

We just hear the union leaders speeches indicating how hard done by they are and how the kids will suffer

12 minutes ago, Boges said:

Life must be so simple in your world, LOL. I'm sure teachers coming out of Teacher's College would love to be seen as Scabs. 

Simplicity does tend to produce the best, most repeatable results. I tell the techs and IT architects I manage...Keep It Simple Stupid...all the time.

I'm sure teachers coming out of Teacher's College, would love an opportunity to work in their chosen profession.

10 minutes ago, Nationalist said:

Simplicity does tend to produce the best, most repeatable results. I tell the techs and IT architects I manage...Keep It Simple Stupid...all the time.

I'm sure teachers coming out of Teacher's College, would love an opportunity to work in their chosen profession.

As we see with Ontario Nurses, good working conditions produce good employees.  Good nurses flock to places that pay more and treat them better. We have a nursing shortage in Ontario because the government capped their wages. 

1% annual raises in times of high inflation is not a good working condition. 

I would not suggest that being a teacher in Ontario, currently is bad. They have one of the must lucrative pensions funds in existence. But firing them all for not essentially taking a pay cut, won't attract the best teachers I reckon. 

Edited by Boges
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Nationalist said:

Having retired and new teachers in my family, it is a constant argument why the new teacher is not working and why the retired teacher gets called to substitute almost every day.

They both are not pro union stance.

Edited by ExFlyer
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ExFlyer said:

1. So Michael, you are saying using a cop and firefighter year long work is a valid comparison to that of a teacher?

2. You are wrong, there are differences in teacher pay depending on boards. # HC.   https://www.jobbank.gc.ca/marketreport/wages-occupation/15904/ON

3.So, police and firefighters are less than teachers?

1. They used to make far less.  Less education was one reason.  And check out the hours firefighters work

2. Will read it.

3. It's a non starter to start doing a Soviet style assessment of danger vs education. Police and fire are not ranked as the most dangerous occupation in the lists I see.  Usually its fishers @eyeball