Pierre Poilievre polishes his image as poll shows his Tories well ahead of Liberals (latest polls)

OTTAWA — Justin Trudeau may have shaken up the Liberals’ front bench, but a new poll suggests he remains on shaky ground with voters.
Results from a new Abacus Data survey provided exclusively to the Star suggests that if an election were held today, 37 per cent of Canadians would vote Conservative, compared to 28 per cent for the Liberals.
The new data comes as Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre is doing some shaking up of his own — reframing his image and launching a series of ads to take advantage of his party’s momentum.
The poll also probed respondents on their views of the government’s performance; 31 per cent approve of the job the Liberals are doing, while 54 per cent disapprove, with that number up two percentage points since the last survey on July 25.
That’s the lowest approval rating since Trudeau won his first mandate from voters nearly eight years ago, Abacus CEO David Coletto told the Star.

Nanos just released polling numbers on August 4th as well,  and they're almost identical.

37-28 ....  it's official, the CPC is polling into majority territory.  BARELY a majority but that would most likely be a majority plus or minus a few seats.

And PP is getting stronger every single month it seems.

There's a bunch of other interesting polling results in the article, worth a read.

The CPC is launching a new ad campaign and we'll see how that goes.  

I loved his response when the reporters asked him about his new look and why he wasn't wearing glasses any more and switched to contacts -  "Either way i'm still the leader with the best vision" LOL -  silly as it sounds its little soundbites like that which get people's attention.

7 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

Conservatives have been ahead in the polls before.... then comes election day.

PP has a lot to do to get Canadians (Quebecois, Ontario and Maritimers) on board.

Isn't this a big part of Canada's problem? Representation by population has always left the people of western Canada fcked. IMO, Polievre should make a bunch of French language ads in which he attacks Pixie-Dust relentlessly.

14 minutes ago, Nationalist said:

Isn't this a big part of Canada's problem? Representation by population has always left the people of western Canada fcked. IMO, Polievre should make a bunch of French language ads in which he attacks Pixie-Dust relentlessly.

Why? Representation by population is exactly what democracy is all about.

You can't have the Yukon with only a few people govern the country.

I get what you are saying but, majority rules.

36 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

It brings about the ignoring of western issues. Why do you think there's so much desire to separate in Alberta and Saskatchewan?

2 hours ago, ExFlyer said:

Democracy on it's own is a bad idea.   Democracy is two wolves and a sheep deciding what's for dinner.  It's the tyranny of the majority.  Slavery is fine under a pure democracy as long as you enslave the smaller group.

Democracies must be temperred to be effective and fair.  Which is why we have a constitutional democracy, where the democracy is limited by personal rights and freedoms.

Originally the idea was that the senate would be based more on geography and would be an effective counter to majority rule, which is tyranny without limits. 

But of course that got nerfed and it's basically just another version of the political parties that are chosen by popular vote.

From canada's creation till just after ww1 there was a very serious policy to severely limit the growth of the western provinces for fear they would compete with ottawa and quebec.

This is an issue that needs to be addressed some day one way or another.

I'm not sure we can vote Trudeau out. I feel like we now have a "dictator for life" situation, for these reasons:

1. Ontario and the Maitimes will not stop voting for him. They just won't. The handouts and freebies guarantee it. So it doesn't matter what the rest of Canada wants or what's good for the country as a whole. Ontario and the Maritimes can't see past Trudeau placing crumbs into their outstretched palms.

2. I do think our election system is compromised. 

3. Last election, nothing mattered - not the environment, not the economy, not inflation, not the myriad of Liberal scandals, not the treatment of our military vets.....nothing. Trudeau won on a campaign of hate for "anti-vaxxers", the Lib website said they plan on using that same platform. The coronamaniacs are in charge and they have NOT changed their views. I see the fear-mongering ramping up again now. It's New Variant Day - again! -  everyone run screaming in circles with your hair on fire! Shut down society! Fire everybody! Shove children to the frontlines to save yourself! Kill and gas those who don't comply!

We learned nothing.

Moreons. 

4. I don't see an end to the NDP/Lib coalition. A vote for the NDP is a vote for Trudeau.

This country is fuqued.

That's how I feel today.

3 minutes ago, Goddess said:

I'm not sure we can vote Trudeau out. I feel like we now have a "dictator for life" situation, for these reasons:

1. Ontario and the Maitimes will not stop voting for him.

The cpc is currently polling well ahead of him in both places.

2. I do think our election system is compromised. 

There's no evidence that it's compromised to the point where more than a few ridings are 'flipped'.  That's very very bad, don't get me wrong, but a) that only works if the ridings are close and b) it doesn't prevent a cpc victory overall

3. Last election, nothing mattered - not the environment, not the economy, not inflation, not the myriad of Liberal scandals, not the treatment of our military vets.....nothing. Trudeau won on a campaign of hate for "anti-vaxxers", the Lib website said they plan on using that same platform.

The polling indicates that is beyond a dead issue, and its' been recognized for it's divisive nature. It is extremely rare for a politican to win on the same platform as the last time in ANY case.  That would be a severely losing plastform and PP would knock that pitch out of the ballpark.

People are desperately concerned about the economy, jobs, being able to afford a home to live in, etc.  They don't care about covid.

4. I don't see an end to the NDP/Lib coalition. A vote for the NDP is a vote for Trudeau.

If you mean right now, probably not.  The coalition will most likely survive until at least mid 2024.  I doubt that either side will want it to go beyond that, for the very reason you mentioned. The libs won't want voters thinking they might as well vote ndp if they feel like it and the ndp DEFINITELY does not want to wear all the liberal gaffes and be seen as their 'house-boys"

If you mean after the next election - there is an excellent chance that between them they woudn't have enough votes.  Remember they tried that 'coalition' crap under harper as well and it failed.

Right now two major successful pollsters have the CPC polling into the edge of majority territory. And PP goes up every month, and is about to launch a major ad campaign which is something erin and scheer both failed to do but should have.

There is EVERY reason to believe that the cpc will win a majority in the next election. There is significant reason to believe that it will be a HUGE majority and the libs and dips may be severely reduced. So that will likely lead to 8 years of conservative gov't, possibly slightly more.

Harper was in for 9 years. and that wasn't long ago. And most of his terms were minorities.  People are starting to hate justin and see him for the loser he is.

Have some faith.

Currently two major pollsters are showing the

5 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

They don't care about covid.

They will once Trudeau ramps it up again.

There's still too many moreons who believe their 6 jabs aren't working because Goddess didn't get any and no amount of medical studies or patient, simplified explanations of how an immune system works will change their mind if "Trudeau says so."  They fell for it last time - it worked - blind hatred overshadowed any actual governing-the-country concerns.

I hope you're right and I'm wrong, though.

14 minutes ago, Goddess said:

They will once Trudeau ramps it up again.

No they won't.  That's done.  If anything mentioning it brings up bad memories and regret for most people and they want to forget about it. They know it deeply divided people and their families.  It would be the complete death of the liberal party to run on that again.

15 minutes ago, Goddess said:

There's still too many moreons who believe their 6 jabs aren't working because Goddess didn't get any and no amount of medical studies or patient, simplified explanations of how an immune system works will change their mind if "Trudeau says so."  They fell for it last time - it worked - blind hatred overshadowed any actual governing-the-country concerns.

Nonsense.  Vaccination rates are down to like 20-30 percent and those are the elderly at risk people.  Nobody is demanding vaccine shots for work anymore and nobody wants to again.  It's a completely dead issue.

If anything PP is going to beat justin over the head about how he divided canada with that at a time when he should have been bringing Canadians together.

1 minute ago, CdnFox said:

Nobody is demanding vaccine shots for work anymore

Untrue. I know of many who are being forced to boost right now.

I have a young dance student from Ottawa living with me right now and she's in tears because the studio is forcing these age 20-25 young people to get boosted or lose their contract with the dance company.

6 minutes ago, Goddess said:

Untrue. I know of many who are being forced to boost right now.

well lets just say that's pretty rare to say the least. The vast majority of employers everywhere are not requiring that, including provincial and federal.  You should go to the papers with the one who is and make a story out of it. 

Sorry but it's a dead issue.  The number of people who would vote for "bring back the vax mandate" is probably below 1 percent.  And the vax booster rates right now prove that - the only people getting boosters are those who are in specific high risk groups like the elderly. And even there its no where near 100 percent.

And that's just going to go down over the next two years.

NOBODY is interested in reliving that, certainly not in enough numbers to even win a single riding.

• Like 1

Just now, Goddess said:

Did you see the article today about the Jordan Peterson/Bjorn Lomborg creation of an ARC - Alliance for Responsible Citizenship?

That looks interesting at first glance. 

More responsible citizens, less fear-and-hatred-brain-addled gullible lemmings can't be bad.

I didn't but i've just looked at the website to see what you were talking about.

https://www.arcforum.com/   For those who dont' feel like looking it up.

At first glance absolutely, anything we can do to promote the voluntary acceptance of and ability to deliver on their responsibility to all citizens past present and future  would be a good thing.

People today treat politics like a sports team, and always seek to defend their 'team' without logic or reason in far too many cases.  That is a very real problem.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Nationalist said:

Quebec is a different story. They're part of the reason the prairies do speak of separation.

Prairies speak a lot but, in the end, they are a landlocked entity. Could never stand on their own (I lived a number of years there so am not unfamiliar with their whining.)

2 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

Prairies speak a lot but, in the end, they are a landlocked entity. Could never stand on their own (I lived a number of years there so am not unfamiliar with their whining.)

I was born and raised there. I know their complaints quite well.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nefarious Banana said:

With Manitoba and BC included, separation would be viable . . .

Also born and raised there.  Their concerns have merit.

As are Quebecs, ...... in their opinion :)

East opinion, Quebec opinions, Ontario opinions and the Wests opinions. Clearly, everyone has one :)

22 minutes ago, eyeball said:

Do tell.

?

Awwww muffin - don't get mad because i can explain my reasoning for supporting something without lying or foaming at the mouth :)    But hey - give an example where i wasn't able to offer any kind of defense for a position i took in favour of the cpc.