State of Free Speech in Ontario Education

Durham district school board trustees Paul Crawford and Linda Stone were punished by the contraversial school board for questioning racist terms like " white supremacy" being included in their human rights policies and for raising other reasonable concerns.

https://www.durhamregion.com/news/durham-trustee-censured-over-white-supremacy-comments/article_dd8067d1-4970-59e5-9be8-7991cee7a8de.html

https://www.durhamregion.com/news/we-must-hold-ourselves-to-the-highest-standard-oshawa-trustee-linda-stone-censured-following-controversial/article_27fee759-351a-523b-b341-839fd6e4e45e.html

By the way, South Asians, not white students, dominate all academic areas in Durham so there is NO evidence of white supremacy or systemic racisms.

https://www.durhamregion.com/news/achievement-gap-new-ddsb-data-shows-black-students-faring-worse-than-their-classmates/article_36791356-924a-5ea4-9f08-c43422ea1868.html

Principal Bilkszto took his own life after being attacked for questioning absurd allegations of the level of racisms in Canada by a DEI race baiting grifter. Richard Bilkszto, 60, worked for the TDSB for 24 years, primarily in adult education and was run out of town for standing up to a race baiting grifter.

The sessions were led by Kike Ojo-Thompson, founder of the KOJO Institute, a consulting firm that provides anti-racist training to organizations The  DEI presenter wanted the audience to accept and believe that Canada is more racist than the US and espouse other left wing nonsense that cannot withstand fact checking. She made her claims despite the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Charter outlawing racism and the fact that Canada never had slavery as England ended slavery in 1833 while Canada had yet to become a nation. In fact, many parts of the British colony had ended slavery sooner. Canada has programs that provide free home ownership and free business support just for Black people so it is unclear how Canada is Racist.

By the way, Asians dominate the TDSB in all academic areas, not whites.

But the point is clear, don't challenge the radical woke left as they will destroy anyone who relies on facts. 

https://tnc.news/2023/07/25/ontario-review-tdsb-principal/

Remember MP Singh calling a fellow MP racist for wanting to see a report before declaring the RCMP racist? MP Therrien was the only one who took a reasonable approach and wanted to read the evidence first and he was labelled a racist by Singh and his race baiting grifter crew.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/beta.ctvnews.ca/national/politics/2020/6/17/1_4988470.html

The public interest issues are clear.

The government with your tax dollars are destroying free speech and the ability to challenge people with racist programs and hateful idealologies. Chairman Mao would be proud.

Edited by antiwoke
  • Like 1

New data from the Durham District School Board (DDSB) shows Black students are faring worse academically than their white and South Asian classmates.

“This data shows that our system imposes barriers that disproportionately and negatively impact students who identify as Black,” said Jonelle Mitchell, a member of the board’s student census development team, speaking at the DDSB’s Feb. 16 board meeting.

https://www.durhamregion.com/news/achievement-gap-new-ddsb-data-shows-black-students-faring-worse-than-their-classmates/article_36791356-924a-5ea4-9f08-c43422ea1868.html

I don't understand how someone could reach a conclusion on what the causation variable is for black students doing more poorly in school based on that one statistic, and how people are continually allowed to express unsubstantiated social science claims like this without being challenged on it.

A lot of black students have never met their fathers, while south asians rarely get divorced and rarely have children out of wedlock.  This has a lot to do with the education and income gaps.  Political correctness means these claims are never questioned.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Moonlight Graham said:

https://www.durhamregion.com/new

I don't understand how someone could reach a conclusion on what the causation variable is for black students doing more poorly in school based on that one statistic, and how people are continually allowed to express unsubstantiated social science claims like this without being challenged on it.

A lot of black students have never met their fathers, while south asians rarely get divorced and rarely have children out of wedlock.  This has a lot to do with the education and income gaps.  Political correctness means these claims are never questioned.

Well your first paragraph is correct, but your second doesn't provide answers either.

It would be better if they just stopped at the observation, and didn't look for a cause. And the same for your second paragraph.

These students need help, that much is clear.  

6 hours ago, Moonlight Graham said:

What does that tell you???

6 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

Well your first paragraph is correct, but your second doesn't provide answers either.

It would be better if they just stopped at the observation, and didn't look for a cause. And the same for your second paragraph.

These students need help, that much is clear.  

The causes are multiple, but a lot of it comes down to poverty and income and education support in the home.  Single parents make lower incomes than 2 parents, and have less time and energy to be able to help their children with homework.  It is a fact that single parent families and are quite high among the black population.

4 hours ago, ExFlyer said:

What does that tell you???

That a lot of black students live in single parent households that have lower incomes and less education support.

42 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

Your conclusion is different than mine, does either one offer more insight as to how to help?

What is your conclusion?

Well if the problem isn't so much caused by anti-black racism in schools and mostly lies elsewhere then only focusing on reducing anti- black racism will not solve the other causes that exist.

I'm aware that you use your real name on here and even if you wanted to agree with me you can't because you could lose your job or upset friends and family.  This is the culture we've built that creates political correctness that suppresses the truth in order to spare people's feelings.  Social science shouldn't care about offending people.  My motivation isn't to deny racism, it's to help black students.  Ignoring a key variable contributing to their problems is harmful, not helpful, to the black community in the longterm.

My conclusion is that if we want black students to have similar education outcomes as Asian and south Asian students, then they need to be exposed to similar conditions and environments from ages 0-18.  Focusing only on what's happening in schools and not what's happening in the home for all of these groups/ individuals is illogical because we're ignoring important variables that influence outcomes.

Edited by Moonlight Graham
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Moonlight Graham said:

That a lot of black students live in single parent households that have lower incomes and less education support.

I do not agree.

You already said they have no fathers so, that is moot.

All students get the same educational support. I suspect they get less parental support....mothers or fathers.,

2 hours ago, ExFlyer said:

I do not agree.

You already said they have no fathers so, that is moot.

All students get the same educational support. I suspect they get less parental support....mothers or fathers.,

You don't agree with what?  That a disproportionate % of black students live in single-parent households than most other racial groups?

15 hours ago, Moonlight Graham said:

1. What is your conclusion?

Well if the problem isn't so much caused by anti-black racism in schools and mostly lies elsewhere then only focusing on reducing anti- black racism will not solve the other causes that exist.

2. I'm aware that you use your real name on here and even if you wanted to agree with me you can't because you could lose your job or upset friends and family.  This is the culture we've built that creates political correctness that suppresses the truth in order to spare people's feelings.  Social science shouldn't care about offending people. 

3. My motivation isn't to deny racism, it's to help black students.  Ignoring a key variable contributing to their problems is harmful, not helpful, to the black community in the longterm.

4. My conclusion is that if we want black students to have similar education outcomes as Asian and south Asian students, then they need to be exposed to similar conditions and environments from ages 0-18.  Focusing only on what's happening in schools and not what's happening in the home for all of these groups/ individuals is illogical because we're ignoring important variables that influence outcomes.

1. Well, even if the cause is what you say: they could be co-causes.  Racism could cause family issues, or be a cofactor, or ... maybe not.  While I agree focusing solely on racism doesn't help I don't think that's happening.  There are more practical things being done behind the words.

2. No,no,no Graham... You should know from the other board that I use a nom de plume right?  While you are right about my unwillingness to publicly make controversial statements, there's more to it.

-I censor myself from making statements from the left AND the right on my personal feed. 

-The right wingers come after me harder when I don't and I'm talking about friends. 

-And this happens to people of all stripes. 

-And... and on here that does not apply.  I am my true honest political self here.   You can find me on Facebook as Michael Hardner.

3. I believe you, but I don't think that the system is going to combine the issue of single parent homes, for example, with race.  There are practical problems with that but it's a topic for another thread.  You can help them without creating the distraction of the political discussion that would bog everything down...

4. There are smarter people than you and I looking at such things, and I would be astonished if they haven't looked at these factors.  The real work is done far away from the yelling and grandstanding.

10 hours ago, Moonlight Graham said:

You don't agree with what?  That a disproportionate % of black students live in single-parent households than most other racial groups?

That you assumption that black students get "less education support" because they are of single parent families.

16 hours ago, ExFlyer said:

All students get the same educational support.

Thats part of the problem. Some students have varying educational needs.

I was dirt poor growing up. They teach you math, when our realities force us to become adults quicker. Math will not help you, with a growling stomach because you're hungry. 

There is no school for this.

The poverty creates a need where most of these kids know they won't have enough money for college.

Entrepreneurial skills aren't taught. Life skills. Survival skills. Skills critical to survive in city slums, or find away out of poverty.

I dropped out of school, because financial needs were far more pressing. I hated school, because I wasn't taught anything beyond grade 6. I learned the ropes out in the real world, on how to run a business, and make money.

Am one of few in my community who realized the mistake, and corrected it. I got a high school diploma as an adult and went to college to get a diploma, while working full time. 

I pulled myself out of the cycle of poverty I was destined to.

There is a reason the drop out rate is incredibly high in my community. The schools may support all students the same, but many of our needs aren't met in them. 

Am definitely seeing the erosion of our freedoms of speech.

Many are afraid to speak truth, because the consequences of offending others can now end a career.

Challenging the establishment should be a protected freedom.

The moment you erode this, or freedoms of speech, you no longer can in good faith look down on a dictatorship since you have then become one yourself.

Many are afraid to speak truth, because the consequences of offending others can now end a career.

I agree. The principal who committed suicide is a good example. We all know slavery had nothing to do with disparities in 2023 and we all see Jewish, Japanese, Chinese success in Canada despite what happened many generations ago.

We also see all groups with the right work ethic and attitude succeed but we must pretend there are imaginary forces holding 2 groups back....

On 7/29/2023 at 3:40 PM, Michael Hardner said:

Your conclusion is different than mine, does either one offer more insight as to how to help?

His conclusion is based on fact and reason. Yours seems to be based on pure emotionalism.

Edited by I am Groot

On 7/31/2023 at 8:19 PM, antiwoke said:

We also see all groups with the right work ethic and attitude succeed but we must pretend there are imaginary forces holding 2 groups back....

It's because the Left doesn't believe in personal responsibility. We see that on every topic, from education to crime. If you go wrong then society is at fault. The lower economic outcomes of the Black community here, in the US, in the UK, in Australia are due to the behavior of those communities. And what prejudice exists against them is largely a result of their own behaviour. But the white knights can't accept that any other group can be held liable for its own misbehaviour and so have to find some alternative explanation in which they blame the white community. All the while they avert their eyes from the success, educational and economic, of various Asian communities and pretend that doesn't completely counter their arguments about 'white supremacy'. 

How many tens of billions have we forked over to the natives since Trudeau came to power? Is anyone even keeping track? This money will lower the economic well-being of all Canadians over the next decades - except the grifters in the native rights industry, of course, who will wind up with a  huge chunk of that money.

People come from all over the world without language or job skills and thrive here but somehow natives, who can speak the language perfectly well can't drive to nearby cities to get free post-secondary education and then work for a living. Instead reams of nonsense are written about the plight of the 'impoverished natives' living in the boonies far from jobs and any economic reason for existence. These reserves get massive amounts of money which is largely stolen and/or misspent by the grifters in charge of their reserves These reserves should be shut down and the natives moved to cities. It will be hard on the present generation but the next will likely begin to thrive. Though only if they avoid the problems of Blacks, which they share. Namely, missing fathers and high crime rates.

Try saying any of that in public, though, and watch the outrage and attempts to cancel you.

Edited by I am Groot
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...

There is absolutely no free speech Canada's education system period. Anything opinion contrary to "diversity, inclusion and reconciliation" is branded "hate speech" or "offensive" and ruthlessly prosecuted. Offensive being something that they don't want to hear. Interesting that "their" offensive sensibilities carry such weight while mine are merely "racists' rants" and ignored. 

23 minutes ago, paradox34 said:

There is absolutely no free speech Canada's education system period. Anything opinion contrary to "diversity, inclusion and reconciliation" is branded "hate speech" or "offensive" and ruthlessly prosecuted. Offensive being something that they don't want to hear. Interesting that "their" offensive sensibilities carry such weight while mine are merely "racists' rants" and ignored. 

Do you have an example for us to discuss or is this just your opinion ?

I have several. Why are tax dollars being used to promote the social, political agenda of special interest groups, LGBT? If that is policy than why is not the MADD flag flying one month or perhaps the Ukrainian the next.

Why are schools spending thousands of dollars for "inclusive" play grounds. Playgrounds are to allow children to "blow of steam" and exercise young bodies. Physically handicapped children are unable to do so and "dumbing down" playgrounds does the majority of students a disservice while providing very little benefit to the handicapped.

The "woke" indoctrination of primary school age children is totally unacceptable. Public schools in BC often have a list of "human rights" posted on the entrance wall. This list includes, clean drinking water, free education, medical care and respect to name just a few. My question to the school board as to when they had begun to advocate slavery was met with shocked silence. I explained that forcing an individual to provide time, effort and money to provide free goods and services for others was the definition of slavery. I then raised the previous points and was hysterically lectured on the "social contract" before being ejected from the meeting.

Edited by paradox34

4 hours ago, paradox34 said:

1. I have several. Why are tax dollars being used to promote the social, political agenda of special interest groups, LGBT? If that is policy than why is not the MADD flag flying one month or perhaps the Ukrainian the next.

2. Why are schools spending thousands of dollars for "inclusive" play grounds. Playgrounds are to allow children to "blow of steam" and exercise young bodies. Physically handicapped children are unable to do so and "dumbing down" playgrounds does the majority of students a disservice while providing very little benefit to the handicapped.

3. The "woke" indoctrination of primary school age children is totally unacceptable. Public schools in BC often have a list of "human rights" posted on the entrance wall. This list includes, clean drinking water, free education, medical care and respect to name just a few. My question to the school board as to when they had begun to advocate slavery was met with shocked silence. I explained that forcing an individual to provide time, effort and money to provide free goods and services for others was the definition of slavery. I then raised the previous points and was hysterically lectured on the "social contract" before being ejected from the meeting.

1. 2. 3. 4. None of this has anything to do with free speech other than maybe you getting ejected from the meeting.  But I am curious as to the stated reason...

Anyway, thanks for trying.  Inclusion is an important social message to teach the next generation.  Your opposition to it is noted, I suppose.

Of course it does. Raise any of these topics in a school with a contrary opinion and you are shouted down, punished (if your a teacher), warned if your a student. My eldest son had the gall to publicly suggest that his high school had no right to make his graduation contingent upon a "holocaust" assembly participation. He was suspended for three days. The school only relented after I threatened legal action. 

34 minutes ago, paradox34 said:

1. Of course it does. Raise any of these topics in a school with a contrary opinion and you are shouted down, punished (if your a teacher), warned if your a student.

2. My eldest son had the gall to publicly suggest that his high school had no right to make his graduation contingent upon a "holocaust" assembly participation. He was suspended for three days. The school only relented after I threatened legal action. 

1. Yes if you teach your own opinions rather than approved curriculum then you will get in trouble. That's irregardless of politics. You're not allowed to teach that communism is the best form of government for people either. Nor are you allowed to teach that Remembrance Day celebrates killers.

2. Did you also want him to state in class the Holocaust wasn't real? Because he wouldn't be allowed to do that either. 

In other words, your free speech is limited in a school.  But your claim that there is absolutely no free speech is worthy of ridicule.

Thank you. You've just reiterated my point. Schools are pushing a government narrative promoted by special interest groups. I'm not paying to have my kids indoctrinated. I'm paying schools to teach my kids critical thinking and analysis skills, how to think for themselves and be self sufficient. The entire education system seems to be geared towards producing obedient tax cows. You want a holocaust remembrance day? Then lets also hear about the millions Stalin and Mau starved and butchered. How the Khmer Rouge butchered millions. You want to educate students about mans atrocities then do it properly not just promote the social political agenda of one special interest group.