Sexual Orientation and the Canadian Voter

An interesting survey conducted in 2004 and covering a wide range of issues showed that only 1% of Canadians consider themselves to be gay. This is surprising since gay activism has always held that 10% of the population is gay at least. Here is some of the relevant data:

CCHS Cycle 2.1 is the first Statistics Canada survey to include a question on sexual orientation. This information is needed to understand differences in health-related issues between the homosexual (gay or lesbian), bisexual and heterosexual populations. These issues include determinants of health, such as physical activity, mental health issues, including stress, and problems accessing health care.

Among Canadians aged 18 to 59, 1.0% reported that they consider themselves to be homosexual and 0.7% considered themselves bisexual.

http://www.statcan.ca/Daily/English/040615/d040615b.htm

Gay marriage vs civil unions has proved to be a real hot button issue for some, so it's interesting to quanitify what numbers in Canada are directly affected.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

An interesting survey conducted in 2004 and covering a wide range of issues showed that only 1% of Canadians consider themselves to be gay.  This is surprising since gay activism has always held that 10% of the population is gay at least. Here is some of the relevant data:

CCHS Cycle 2.1 is the first Statistics Canada survey to include a question on sexual orientation. This information is needed to understand differences in health-related issues between the homosexual (gay or lesbian), bisexual and heterosexual populations. These issues include determinants of health, such as physical activity, mental health issues, including stress, and problems accessing health care.

Among Canadians aged 18 to 59, 1.0% reported that they consider themselves to be homosexual and 0.7% considered themselves bisexual.

http://www.statcan.ca/Daily/English/040615/d040615b.htm

Gay marriage vs civil unions has proved to be a real hot button issue for some, so it's interesting to quanitify what numbers in Canada are directly affected.

I do not believe the number is that low (somebody please tell the Liberals :D )

But seriously, I just don't

Clearly, the SSM issue is a symbol of other beliefs. I suspect that many young people use it as a way to distinguish themselves from older people. Gay issues are a fad, like radical chic.

Gay rights are ultimately a question of freedom. I am heartened when I see many people not directly concerned standing up for the rights of others. (Of course, we still don't know if anyone would sacrifice anything substantive to defend these rights.)

I do not believe the number is that low
Neither do I. But then, I don't believe the number is that much higher either.

Being that it's a survey, the respondants were completely free to answer without embarrassment. I find that the gay agenda to put a gay character in every tv show and movie to be an unrealistic representation of their presence in society. That's probably far more inaccurate than this survey result.

Clearly, the SSM issue is a symbol of other beliefs. I suspect that many young people use it as a way to distinguish themselves from older people. Gay issues are a fad, like radical chic.

Gay rights are ultimately a question of freedom. I am heartened when I see many people not directly concerned standing up for the rights of others. (Of course, we still don't know if anyone would sacrifice anything substantive to defend these rights.)

I do not believe the number is that low
Neither do I. But then, I don't believe the number is that much higher either.

Do you really think that 1 in 10 people you know, among friends, family, co-workers, annoying neighbours - do you really think 1 in 10 is gay? That number has always struck me as being way too high. I think 1% is much closer to reality.

They didn't do the study in Calgary. :) According to one study performed by researchers at the University of Calgary, 15.3% of men aged 18-27 in Calgary reported being homosexual to some degree. Link:

http://www.youth-suicide.com/gay-bisexual/homodemo.htm

My point here is not that there's something unique about Calgary but rather that the 1% cited in the first post is absurdly low. Far higher numbers have been published in numerous other studies. Here's an article which deals with the issue, cites some of those numbers and points out why consistent figures aren't reported:

http://www.plu.sg/main/facts_05.htm

What the heck is:

being homosexual to some degree.

I guess it depends on how the questions are asked...

"Have you had a homosexual experience in the past 12 months?"

"Do you live with a homosexual partner?"

"Would you consider yourself to be homosexual?"

I suppose they could yield vastly differing results.

What the heck is:

being homosexual to some degree.

Click on the link I provided for the Calgary study and you'll find exactly how that was defined.

But here's a very simplified answer if you prefer. When asked the question "Are you homosexual?", 2% might say yes. When asked the question "Have you ever engaged in homosexual behavior?", 15% might say yes. The 15% would include bisexuals who are homosexual to some degree as well as heterosexuals who are homosexual or have been homosexual in their behaviour to some degree.

Unless one uses an extremely narrow definition of homosexuality, Harper has unequivocally and irreversibly offended a very significant percentage of the Canadian population by:

(1) promising to revisit the same sex marriage issue

(2) voting to exclude sexual orientation from hate crimes legislation

(3) making a homophobic comment about Svend Robinson in the House of Commons

What difference does it make what percentage of the population they are? Even if it were .0001%, that wouldn't justify letting people who can't mind their own business to continue to discriminate against them by not allowing SSM.

It makes no difference to me but Harper apparently has a problem with minority rights with respect to this particular population.

BubberMiley

You wrote- " Even if it were .0001%, that wouldn't justify letting people to mind their own buisness to continue to discriminate against them by not allowing SSM.

This is a matter of how you view SSM and it's divisive nature to destroy existing beliefs associated with Christianity, morals and the teachings of two completely different lifestyles, one adhering to traditonal heterosexuals, the one all of society is based on.

The other homosexuality bears no resemblence and conflicts with Christianity, morals and perverse sexual relationship that could include the raising of children affecting beliefs and teachings of children raised by heterosexuals.

I don't believe there is any discrimination involved at all in this matter as this is not against the individual homosexual but about their conflicting lifestyle imposed on the majority.

The interesting thing is, the survey considered both behavior and identity, whether a person considered themselves gay. It was taken by Stats Canada no less, who has no axe to grind on this or any issue, they just want to get as accurate a picture of Canada that they can.

And to have some activists in Canada squawking so loudly about gay rights when we lead the world seems like misplaced priorities.

I would submit by the gay movement deifinition that just because a person has a homosexual experience one night does not make them gay. Remember, you are born gay, not changed over by an encounter, so using that is completely bogus by that Calgary study. Either you are gay or not, being born that way or not. They seem to be trying to pad numbers.

This is a matter of how you view SSM and it's divisive nature to destroy existing beliefs associated with Christianity, morals and the teachings of two completely different lifestyles, one adhering to traditonal heterosexuals, the one all of society is based on.

The other homosexuality bears no resemblence and conflicts with Christianity, morals and perverse sexual relationship that could include the raising of children affecting beliefs and teachings of children raised by heterosexuals.

I don't believe there is any discrimination involved at all in this matter as this is not against the individual homosexual but about their conflicting lifestyle imposed on the majority.

Stephen Harper couldn't have said it better. :)

Well it's a good thing SSM doesn't change Christian beliefs: it's a civil institution.

Yeah: gay parents will make kids gay, just like straight parents are so successful at making their gay kids straight. :lol:

"Imposed on the majority"? Let me clear something up for you: same sex marriage doesn't require anyone to marry someone of the same sex. There's no imposition involved.

The interesting thing is, the survey considered both behavior and identity, whether a person considered themselves gay.  It was taken by Stats Canada no less, who has no axe to grind on this or any issue, they just want to get as accurate a picture of Canada that they can.

And to have some activists in Canada squawking so loudly about gay rights when we lead the world seems like misplaced priorities.

I would submit by the gay movement deifinition that just because a person has a homosexual experience one night does not make them gay.  Remember, you are born gay, not changed over by an encounter, so using that is completely bogus by that Calgary study.  Either you are gay or not, they seem to be trying to pad numbers.

Being that it's such a small part of the population as well, I think our media has better things to worry about since all Harper would do is take a free vote on whether gay marriage should become civil unions.

Being that it's such a small part of the population as well, I think our media has better things to worry about

Yeah, why would any political party care about minorities? :lol:

THey obviously do care abotu minorites if you look at how much they have spent on them in the past, Italians, Chinese, Aboriginals.

THey obviously do care abotu minorites if you look at how much they have spent on them in the past, Italians, Chinese, Aboriginals.

Who's they?

The political parties which is what I was refering to when I answered you question :huh:

Being that it's such a small part of the population as well, I think our media has better things to worry about

Yeah, why would any political party care about minorities? :lol:

Uh, you quote me, but still manage to miss what I said? That particular point was on the media. On day one they bring up gay marriage when there are so many more important issues.

Uh, you quote me, but still manage to miss what I said?  That particular point was on the media.  On day one they bring up gay marriage when there are so many more important issues.

So you blame the media for bringing up a topic which is relevant only to a minority? Are you saying that the media should only bring up topics relevant to the majority?

Are you aware that today three CPC candidates in British Columbia, Reid, Wong and Cummins, broke with Harper on his position about financial compensation for the Chinese community. They want Harper to give more money than the Liberals have to the Chinese community for past injustices. The Chinese, like gays and lesbians, are a minority. Should the media bring up this story or should they ignore it?

How 'bout we stay on topic. Start a new thread on this Chinese thing. I know to you the gay marriage thing is the most important issue in Canada, but to most of us its not as important as tax issues, day care plans, and whether Quebec will separate. Did the media ask any questions about these? No, Harper had to bring them up. The gay issue has already been solved by Martin, but asking Harper about it on week 3 or so seems about right.