Sarah Palin loses in a Special Election due to Ranked Choice Balloting

https://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/maddowblog/sarah-palins-loss-alaskan-special-election-matters-rcna45831

This was, after all, Alaska’s first congressional election using the state’s new ranked-choice system. For those unfamiliar with ranked-choice balloting — also known as instant-runoff balloting — NBC News recently explained that the process allows voters to rank the candidates in order of preference. If one candidate wins a majority in the first round, he or she wins.

But if no one gets a majority, the last-place candidate is eliminated, and his or her supporters’ second-choice votes are allocated accordingly. If that still doesn’t produce a winner with a majority, then the next lowest vote-getter is eliminated, and so on.

In this case, Peltola prevailed and is headed to Congress because a significant chunk of the voters who backed a different Republican candidate — Nick Begich III — preferred the Democrat to Palin.

I'm not really interested interested in the fact that Palin lost. It's that this election used the Ranked Choice Model. 

The Dem was able to win with 40% of the popular vote. Sound familiar? 

This is kind of the only way Conservatives can win in Canada these days. With the Dippers and Liberals splitting the Left vote. 

My question about Ranked Choice is how many Liberals would pick the Conservative as their second choice and would the Conservative ever select the Liberal as their second choice? 

2 hours ago, Boges said:

https://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/maddowblog/sarah-palins-loss-alaskan-special-election-matters-rcna45831

I'm not really interested interested in the fact that Palin lost. It's that this election used the Ranked Choice Model. 

This is kind of the only way Conservatives can win in Canada these days. With the Dippers and Liberals splitting the Left vote. 

My question about Ranked Choice is how many Liberals would pick the Conservative as their second choice and would the Conservative ever select the Liberal as their second choice? 

You seem to be mistaken about the way it worked.  After the first round, the 3rd place candidate was dropped from the ballot and the 2nd choices on their ballot was distributed to the other candidates.  

After the count, the winner had 51.5% of all votes cast vs 48.5%.

So, if all Republicans who voted for the other Republican chose Palin, she would have gotten 60%, as that was how it went based on the first vote.

Edited by TreeBeard

It wasn't just the new ranked choice voting that was the problem. It was unverified mail-out ballots.

Can't blame the Dems this time though. It was the RINOs.

Doesn't matter. Murkowski's crowd sold out Alaska. Alaska is a Democrat state now. Most likely forever. It's California north.

And the RINOs are to blame. Something has to be done about them. The midterms in general are in jeopardy for Republicans now if McConnell and that whole crew of RINOs don't get some major pushback.

Edited by Infidel Dog
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Infidel Dog said:

I really worry about Georgia now too.

After they voted back ratburger I said to myself they're the next Alaska.

Alaska is a solid red state, that will remain so for the foreseeable future

Georgia is a swing state trending blue, due to the growth of Atlanta and the surrounding suburbs

Edited by Yzermandius19

2 hours ago, Infidel Dog said:

You see what is but you don't see what's happening. Stick around and keep your eyes open.

I see what is happening

you're dooming over an Alaskan special election

when Republicans will win the seat in November

Republicans got almost 60% of the vote

there is zero evidence that Alaska is getting competitive, let alone becoming a solid Blue State

get a grip

5 hours ago, Yzermandius19 said:

I see what is happening

there is zero evidence that Alaska is getting competitive, let alone becoming a solid Blue State

get a grip

Don’t you see??  Mail in ballots!   

(I have no idea what the conspiracy is with mail in ballots, but it’s fun to participate in the craziness….   Sometimes I feel so left out here!)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TreeBeard said:

Don’t you see??  Mail in ballots!   

(I have no idea what the conspiracy is with mail in ballots, but it’s fun to participate in the craziness….   Sometimes I feel so left out here!)

Maybe you should join the Canadian Conservative Party and vote in their upcoming leadership election.

By mail-in ballot....

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Boges said:

Maybe I'm just confused, but didn't they previously have a FPTP system like us? 

Because after the first round of counting the Democrat had 40% of the vote to Palin's 31%. So no ranked ballots would have still given the seat to the Democrats.

7 hours ago, Yzermandius19 said:

I see what is happening

get a grip

I have to be honest. You're not wrong.

This is me a bit. w1roaUS.gif

But not paying attention to what going on, like how the RINOs slipped unverified mail-ins and ranked choice into the election process in Alaska, giving Murkowski another kick at the can and dumping Palin, or what's happening in Georgia seems dangerous. Some seem to have forgotten Stacey Abrahams dirty trick squad in Georgia. She never admitted she lost the governorship and she seems to be able to manipulate the sleaze that is Raffensberger. We were pretty confident last time that we would have those two senate seats. Then we didn't.  I can forgive Georgia for Kemp but bringing back Ratburger - never. Something's fishy in Georgia when that happens.

And it's not just Georgia or Alaska. Did you notice how McConnell is slacking on the funding to Arizona's and other populist candidates? Or how he's calling them "weak candidates." Pelosi might not like the Squad but you'll never hear her publicly suggest you shouldn't vote for them.

There should be a red wave in November but the RINOs are doing their shoot their own party in the foot thing. Overconfidence while sitting back and watching them do it can be a mistake. 

Edited by Infidel Dog

1 hour ago, TreeBeard said:

I have no idea what the conspiracy is with mail in ballots

It isn't mail-in ballots. It's unverified mail-out ballots. But yeah I get why you wouldn't object to that. The hard left don't see what the fuss is all about there. What's a little ballot box stuffing between friends, right? As long as your candidate has the most votes at the end, right?

1 minute ago, Infidel Dog said:

It isn't mail-in ballots. It's unverified mail-out ballots. But yeah I get why you wouldn't object to that. The hard left don't see what the fuss is all about there. What's a little ballot box stuffing between friends, right? As long as your candidate has the most votes at the end, right?

I take a balanced approach with respect to ballot box stuffing…

I am against ballot box stuffing. 

I am also against accusations of ballot box stuffing with zero evidence by crazy conspiracy theorists whenever they lose. 

Edited by TreeBeard
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, TreeBeard said:

I take a balanced approach with respect to ballot box stuffing…

I am also against accusations of ballot box stuffing with zero evidence by crazy conspiracy theorists whenever they lose. 

so you are against accusations of the other side cheating when their side loses?

36 minutes ago, TreeBeard said:

Refusing to notice the evidence is not the same thing as there not being any. 

And it's not just not noticing what's in front of your face, it's ignoring common sense or at least pretending to or suggesting others do.

If you send out ballots to all without asking for any kind of verification on return you're offering cheats an open door to cheat.

Did you never see the O'keefe's investigation of Ilhan Omar's district where her cousin was bragging about all the ballots he'd collected. He showed us the piles of ballots on his car seat.

With a big shit-eating grin on his face.

I imagine not. You're not allowed to watch video evidence if it comes from O'keefe, right?

The sacred texts of Prog like Mediabiasfactcheck have judged them Haram, right?

Edited by Infidel Dog

29 minutes ago, Yzermandius19 said:

so you are against accusations of the other side cheating when their side loses?

No…. I’ll make this simple for you….  If my side is winning and their side cheats, but their side accuses my side of cheating, and I accuse them of cheating even though I won…. That’s the kind of thing I’m against. 

Just now, TreeBeard said:

No…. I’ll make this simple for you….  If my side is winning and their side cheats, but their side accuses my side of cheating, and I accuse them of cheating even though I won…. That’s the kind of thing I’m against. 

That was simple, was it? Something was "simple" about it. I'll give you that.

11 minutes ago, TreeBeard said:

so you're only against accusations of cheating when your side is being accused and they won?

but if your side accuses the other side of cheating when your side lost, then it's totally fine?

Edited by Yzermandius19

Just now, Yzermandius19 said:

so you're only against accusations of cheating when your side is being accused and they won?

but if your side is accuses the other side of cheating when your side is lost, then it's totally fine?

No…. Wait….  I think I got the sides mixed up…. My side cheats, but your side wins, yet …. No….  Your side loses, but my side doesn’t cheat, but your side accuses me of cheating, but in 2020 my side said you cheated and then you won…. That’s bad, I think.  

Let’s look at what I said originally…. 

51 minutes ago, TreeBeard said:

Ok…. This seems simple enough.  To paraphrase:  

No accusations without evidence.  And conspiracies are dumb. 

What was confusing to you?

12 minutes ago, TreeBeard said:

No accusations without evidence.  And conspiracies are dumb. 

What was confusing to you?

what's confusing is how you go on and on about it when Republicans do it

yet I never hear you voice any problem with any of the times the Democrats did it

why is that?

Edited by Yzermandius19

8 minutes ago, TreeBeard said:

Ok then. Democrats or their supporters shouldn’t make baseless accusations either. 

indeed but they do

and the Democrats have done it more often than Republicans have

so don't go around pretending like it's behavior unique to Republicans

and if you're going to bash Republicans for it

try bashing the Democrats for it every now and then too

unless you want to come across as a Democrat shill who only cares about the standard when Republicans don't live up to it

Edited by Yzermandius19