Do you agree that to increase school safety, a “school hardening strategy” should be considered?

8 hours ago, Aristides said:

An overwhelming number of Americans are in favour of extended background checks and assault weapon bans but

If it was overwhelming they should be able to vote in the governors and senators that support these views. Maybe it’s not so overwhelming then. 

Maybe it’s like yer ‘bigger gun’ theory, if you ascertain my meaning. My gun’s gotta be bigger than yours. 

Or maybe it’s too late for that now... pandora’s box was opened, and the iniquity that flows from it cannot be put back in again. Guns, I mean.

27 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

If it was overwhelming they should be able to vote in the governors and senators that support these views. Maybe it’s not so overwhelming then. 

Maybe it’s like yer ‘bigger gun’ theory, if you ascertain my meaning. My gun’s gotta be bigger than yours. 

Because so many of them are so wrapped up in culture wars they will vote against their own interests instead of a different  party. Just look at some of the clowns and crazies who are in Congress.

Yup, I get it and that is certainly true of some. They guys going to the grocery store with an AR strapped to their chest are definitely lacking somewhere else.

Or maybe it’s too late for that now... pandora’s box was opened, and the iniquity that flows from it cannot be put back in again. Guns, I mean.

Maybe so but doing more of the same is just nuts.

Edited by Aristides

47 minutes ago, Aristides said:

Because so many of them are so wrapped up in culture wars they will vote against their own interests instead of a different  party. Just look at some of the clowns and crazies who are in Congress.

Yup, I get it and that is certainly true of some. They guys going to the grocery store with an AR strapped to their chest are definitely lacking somewhere else.

Maybe so but doing more of the same is just nuts.

I understand that even when Titanic sank, there was gunplay...

• 1 month later...
On 6/21/2022 at 1:24 PM, Michael Hardner said:

Police performance was under heavy criticism in that tragedy, so how do people think a few teachers are supposed to do better ?  It seems like a dumb alternative to the obvious - which is to enact background checks and controls.

There already are background checks. I don't know if you have ever purchased a firearm. There are already 1000s of laws on state a federal levels, what controls are you talking about that will make such a difference. 

A gun on site held by a responsible and trained teacher or security gaurd is a deterrent and a start. Not making the shooters famous would be a good benchmark as well.  Lastly, we need to address the mental aspect and how to limit it's causes- that is that these shooters mostly come from broken homes and parents who create a toxic environment for their kids.