The new gun bill

On 6/5/2022 at 10:18 PM, eyeball said:

Yes Liberals are quite right-wing too.  It was a Liberal who brought prohibition to Canada in the first place.

So where were Conservatives when that travesty of freedom and liberty was committed? 

Overseas fighting the Kaiser. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, eyeball said:

Where were they when they came back? Same place as the Liberals.

Where are they now? Still much the same place.  

It ended when they did come back.lol

35 minutes ago, eyeball said:

You're saying conservatives ended the prohibition of pot after they defeated the Kaiser's?

What history book are you reading from?

Actually it was a joke. Chill out chum.

On 6/1/2022 at 11:44 AM, Queenmandy85 said:

So, they take our guns. Yah, that sucks, but is it really the end of the world? What do we really need guns for? I used to do a lot of target shooting but that can't match skiing as the purpose of life.  And I'm not going to kill anyone skiing.( maybe driving to Kimberley or Jasper, but not skiing.)

Hunting? We have grocery stores.

We talk about law abiding citizens vs criminals, but the regs will have an impact on murders commited by law abiding citizens who are just pissed off at someone like me who is a lousy driver, or someone stealing your bike. Killing someone is the most terrible thing a human can do.

I get it in your world, guns are not a priority and you go with the flow. The number of murders committed by law-abiding gun owners is really pretty small. less than 10 % of all murders by firearms. Believe it or not, most people commit suicide by firearm rather than commit murder. How much have we heard in the media about the government's direction to curb illegal guns in Canada say compared to new gun laws meant to punish law-abiding citizens it is very telling where they are concentrating their efforts. 

Have you seen the price of beef lately? You are still free to go to any store you wish, so why do hunters need to give up hunting rifles. 

Stealing property, for the most part, is an insurance claim, very very little chance the police will recover anything and your rates will go up. Kill someone with a firearm for defending your property or family, and you will be arrested and charged with murder/ manslaughter and held without bail until you get a court date and are proven innocent. 

The act of killing is not the most terrible thing a human can do. I could kill your entire family in a car while drunk /stoned or cold sober and get a very small sentence. everyone calls it an accident, but it required you to take an action you knew could result in someone dying. and yet our justice system is full of examples of people serving very little time for killing your family. So here in Canada, killing is not treated equally in regard to sentencing and there are other crimes that have tougher sentencing.  

• 4 weeks later...

Canada introducing temporary ban on handgun imports

Is this going to help? I think not becasue anyone who want a pistol will get one anyway. 

The interesting, and surprising to me,  statistic is "Government trade data shows Canada imported $26.4 million worth of pistols and revolvers between January and June _ a 52 per cent increase compared to the same period last year."

https://globalnews.ca/news/9039570/canada-handgun-import-ban/