Norway - Collective Wealth

Are you saying oil reserves are infinite?

Geo thermal is a possible contributor but can it produce the massive amount of energy we are going to need in the future. Nuclear, both uranium and thorium fueled reactors can supple all the power we need, provided there is enough lubricating oil to keep the generators running and enough coal and iron to make the steel to make the machinery. Eventually, they may perfect a viable system for fusion power.

I worry about the problem of reducing greenhouse gases. It isn't just the challenge of getting the global population to start recucing carbon emissions. We have to hold the emissions down permanently. Considering the problems getting people to respond responsibly to Covid for just two years, I can imagine what is going to be the response when people learn their sacrifices will be needed for thousands of years. As soon as the temperature drops for a few years due to volcanic activity, some bozo is going to announce the crisis is over and we will be back to square one.

On 7/2/2022 at 3:39 AM, Queenmandy85 said:

Are you saying oil reserves are infinite?

More or less.

We have the technology and available oil sands in civilized places to provide energy far into the future.

Remember the hysteria of peak oil? 

======

But CO2 emissions?

On 7/2/2022 at 3:39 AM, Queenmandy85 said:

I worry about the problem of reducing greenhouse gases.

I don't.

1. In 1890 New York City, someone worried about horse manure. Given traffic, by 1940 the person predicted, New York would be inundated with horse manure.

2. In 2060, if all goes well, they'll be smarter and richer. This problem will be cheap to solve.

And after all, we are supposedly solving their 2060 problems, not our 2020 problems.

Imagine.

Edited by August1991

14 hours ago, August1991 said:

1. In 1890 New York City, someone worried about horse manure. Given traffic, by 1940 the person predicted, New York would be inundated with horse manure.

2. In 2060, if all goes well, they'll be smarter and richer. This problem will be cheap to solve.

3. And after all, we are supposedly solving their 2060 problems, not our 2020 problems.

4. Imagine.

1. The equation of street rumours about horses to a global scientific project is the height of peasantry.  "Oh the king will take care of it all in the end, or God will"
2. It's solvable now but not if people act like peasants.
3. "I don't need to pay my bills today, that's a problem for later when the sheriff comes to evict"
4. Imagine with wisdom and forethought, don't dream that a magical science wizard will fly in and save us.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/6/2022 at 9:46 AM, Michael Hardner said:

1. The equation of street rumours about horses to a global scientific project is the height of peasantry.  "Oh the king will take care of it all in the end, or God will"
2. It's solvable now but not if people act like peasants.
3. "I don't need to pay my bills today, that's a problem for later when the sheriff comes to evict"
4. Imagine with wisdom and forethought, don't dream that a magical science wizard will fly in and save us.

Michael,

I started this thread with one point. It's morphed into another.

Point One: Practical, rich people like Norwegians care in their own way.

Point Two: It will be cheaper to solve this problem in the future.

On 7/17/2022 at 8:09 AM, -TSS- said:

Would some Canadian provinces be better off as countries of their own than being part of Canada and if so then which ones? 

1. Canada would be better off if it were practical. (Heck, unlike Greece, we have our own currency.)

2. Like Norway, Alberta would probably have its own currency if it had access to the sea.

3. As I recently explained to a German and a Greek (and an American about the 2008 bailouts), in Canada, we do these pay-outs every year.

My thoughts: In the midst of a calamity, what to do?

In 1932? After war, financial crisis. I would have listened to Keynes.

In 1805? After revolution. in the midst of European wars - I would not have listened to Ricardo. 

=====

It has always astonished me that people today do not understand that when the war started in 1914, no one then believed that it would last so long and it would change Europe.

(I can barely imagine what Europeans thought in 1790 and what was to befall them.)

When this war continued in 1939 - or for Russians/Americans. 1941 - it was obvious what was going on.

Yet, in the summer of 1914, many Europeans believed that it was just another minor dispute.

-----

If I had been alive at the time, June 1914, I likely would have predicted that there may be war but it will be short; a few changes of territory in the Balkans.

When the war started in August 1914, everyone at the time thought it would be short.

As they say, hindsight is 20/20.

Edited by August1991