Historical Movies...Feature Length Documentaries...etc.

DogOnPorch

Just now, Charles Anthony said:

Help! 

I am looking for a film from about 40 years ago.  Soviet, Afghanistan, nasty, guy abandoned on a rock. 

Does that ring any bells? 

The Beast of War (1988)

Not a very good copy, I'm afraid.

4 minutes ago, Charles Anthony said:

Mercy buckets!   What a face! 

You're welcome. They used a real T-62, if I recall...good old Tank Boy (George Dzundza). He was very intense. 

Edited by DogOnPorch

29 minutes ago, Charles Anthony said:

Yikes!  You took the words right out of my mind. 

The "under the tracks scene" still haunts me. 

Yes...gruesome. Track butter...tankers call it.

That Brest Fortress flick might be to your liking. I found it quite compelling. Similar tank scene...

Much of the film was made at the real fortress...an 19th century Vauban star fort.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brest_Fortress

Edited by DogOnPorch

To add about the Brest Fortress...

It was right on the demarcation line of the 1939 co-invasion of Poland. The Nazis & Soviets split Poland down the middle and this old fort was on the confluence of the Bug and Mukhavets Rivers. It's rail and road bridges vital to Operation Barbarossa.

It was a stronghold for the local NKVD as well as having several thousand Red Army soldiers stationed there. The movie pretty much skips over the NKVD's activities...but includes several NKVD officers (Commissars...Blue hats and pants) as protagonists. 

The NKVD were pretty much like the SS...enforcing Party Orders dictated by Stalin & Beria. There was a firm 'No Retreat' order at Brest...and the NKVD were supposed to shoot you if you did. The movie ignores that...

Oddly, it was one of the few setbacks on Day One for the Germans. They had neglected to assign armor or Luftwaffe support to this, expecting the infantry to do the job. No go...

00d691b9415003bb9a8f4d186bc8cfc0.thumb.jpg.d57bdf09ac9e3b9628ede7e540e00f6a.jpg

unnamed.thumb.jpg.f5a46a5350d36f5c7f7b937dd4f46ed2.jpg

Edited by DogOnPorch

I found this oldie which I think was an inspiration to Tears of The Sun (Bruce Willis).  It stars Rod Taylor and is about mercenaries and Simba rebels during the Congo crisis.   It's titled "Dark of The Sun." Critics at the time, condemned it for its graphic depiction of violence and torture.  But it was reality.

Fifty years ago, Stanleyville in the Congo was the scene of one of the most savage crimes of the last century, the cold-blooded massacre of hostages by the Simba rebels.

Mercenary soldiers from 5 Commando under the leadership of Lt Colonel Mike Hoare, probably the most famous merc officer since World War 2, had been unable to prevent the tragedy. But in the days to come, they saved hundreds of hostages from a tortured death, and helped restore peace to that troubled land.

https://www.sofmag.com/the-stanleyville-massacre/

https://ok.ru/video/1405086141126

Edited by betsy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, betsy said:

Thanks for those titles - I'm actually collecting titles from different genres.  A lot of the oldies are priceless for the simple reason of doing actual locations,  and knowing that they were done before high tech. 

Zeppelin is good for that...the model is 35 feet long...no CGI.

• Like 1

• Tell a friend

Love Repolitics.com - Political Discussion Forums? Tell a friend!
  • Popular Now

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    paradox34

• paradox34 earned a badge
      Collaborator
    • User went up a rank
      Apprentice
    • paradox34 went up a rank
      Rookie