The Presidential Debate

Here's my round-one scorecard. Trump and Biden both exchanged some heavy blows, and landed some dirty shots too. Trump seemed frustrated throughout the first round. He didn't get to land much cleanly. Biden held his ground well, and was able to get his message across a number of times.

Biden 10, Trump 9

(in the ten-point must system...)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Shady said:

Me too.  It's almost as bad as the Canadian debates where you have 4 or 5 people all talking over eachotther.

2 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

Here's my round-one scorecard. Trump and Biden both exchanged some heavy blows, and landed some dirty shots too. Trump seemed frustrated throughout the first round. He didn't get to land much cleanly. Biden held his ground well, and was able to get his message across a number of times.

Biden 10, Trump 9

(in the ten-point must system...)

Trump was not on his game...for certain. Which was too bad as this was his chance to be the reasonable one to a bunch of new people.

Nobody was reasonable last night...moderator included.

That it has come to this...me supporting Trump...it shows how far they've gone left on the Democrat side. I can not and will not endorse Communism in America...even if it is disguised as an old fool with Mao's Red Guard behind him pulling the strings. It doesn't sell well to this cowboy. Unlike the kids all riled-up on the streets, I can recall WHY my neighbors are Hungarian and Czech.

Edited by DogOnPorch
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, DogOnPorch said:

Trump was not on his game...for certain. Which was too bad as this was his chance to be the reasonable one to a bunch of new people.

Nobody was reasonable last night...moderator included.

That it has come to this...me supporting Trump...it shows how far they've gone left on the Democrat side. I can not and will not endorse Communism in America...even if it is disguised as an old fool with Mao's Red Guard behind him pulling the strings. It doesn't sell well to this cowboy. Unlike the kids all riled-up on the streets, I can recall WHY my neighbors are Hungarian and Czech.

Trump has plenty of important achievements that he can call upon in a debate. Instead he approached the debate more as a reality-politics style, going low. Biden could then go high.

Trump would do well to distance himself from the likes of Rudy Guiliani as his coach. He shouldn't have him in his corner.

I agree, Trump MUST win, for the sake of the future of the free world. Else we shall all quickly become face-mask wearing virus slaves, who must kneel before China.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OftenWrong said:

Trump has plenty of important achievements that he can call upon in a debate. Instead he approached the debate more as a reality-politics style, going low. Biden could then go high.

Trump would do well to distance himself from the likes of Rudy Guiliani as his coach. He shouldn't have him in his corner.

I agree, Trump MUST win, for the sake of the future of the free world. Else we shall all quickly become face-mask wearing virus slaves, who must kneel before China.

Agreed my friend.

I will not bow to Communist China. We're still technically at WAR with these pricks. Korea never ended. That the dirty Reds in Canada feel the dirty Reds in Chicom are the guys to emulate...makes me rather angry. These assholes used to take the supplies WE hauled over the Himalayas and used them to attack their fellow Chinese rather than the Japanese invaders says all one needs to say about them...though I could go on.

Edited by DogOnPorch

2 hours ago, OftenWrong said:

The biggest failure of the night was the moderator, IMO. He should have anticipated this. You don't open the debate the way he did, with these guys. You lay out the law right at the beginning, and then you enforce it.

Trump was like a sulky toddler every time Wallace tried to explain the rules to him. I mean, if you looked at his face, that was the exact look of a kid sulking. And then he simply went back to ignoring the rules immediately.

The truest words spoken on the evening were when Wallace was pointing out to Trump how his side agreed that there would be two minutes uninterrupted for a candidate to answer a question, and Biden said "He doesn't keep his word." No, he never has, throughout his life. He's cheated everyone who he ever dealt with and his name meant nothing on a signed contract. Cheated on his wives, too. Honorable men keep their word but Trump has never been that.

Edited by Argus

10 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

Trump is Putin's bitch, and everyone even reasonably unbiased knows it. As to China, he's done virtually nothing to check China's continued rise as a world power or its influence in the US. His sole focus has been on trade. "Show me the money" is all he knows.

• Like 1

Putin's Bitch....

These guys can't even recover their own nuclear bombers w/o cruise missiles going everywhere let alone figure-out central heating. But yeah...they control the world.

What's radioactive today? Let's grab the Geiger counter...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DogOnPorch said:

Putin's Bitch....

These guys can't even recover their own nuclear bombers w/o cruise missiles going everywhere let alone figure-out central heating. But yeah...they control the world.

I didn't say they controlled the world. I said they controlled Trump. I also agreed China was a big threat. You know I've posted many times about it. But what has Trump done about China? He's attacked them on trade issues, and that's pretty much it. And even that is only because Trump wants to be seen as a winner, forcing China to bow to his demands so he can strut on the stage. But China doesn't play that game. You aren't ever going to force them to bow down in public.

A long while ago I made a post from a foreign diplomat talking about how at every international meeting China sends a full team of a dozen or so people empowered to offer deals and make agreements to schmooze the place. The Americans generally send one junior staffer with no authority at all. That's how you spread influence. Meanwhile, Trump has spent his time attacking and insulting all America's allies and sucking up to dictators because he admires them for their power.

The Chinese are hacking their way through every important US computer system because the US government won't spend the money to secure its own computers, and won't set up a coordinated, well-funded effort at protecting the computers of private sector companies, even those doing top secret research for them. Their spies on the ground are everywhere, and they're funnel ling money into the pockets of politicians, not just in the US but throughout the world. None of the American efforts, weak as they are, at confronting them have come from Trump. As one intelligence guy said of him, he responds to every suggestion of doing something with "What's in it for me?"

If there really was a deep state it would have killed him three and a half years ago so Pence could make the decisions.

Edited by Argus
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Argus said:

Trump was like a sulky toddler every time Wallace tried to explain the rules to him. I mean, if you looked at his face, that was the exact look of a kid sulking. And then he simply went back to ignoring the rules immediately.

Biden was incoherent.

23 minutes ago, Argus said:

Trump is Putin's bitch, and everyone even reasonably unbiased knows it. As to China, he's done virtually nothing to check China's continued rise as a world power or its influence in the US. His sole focus has been on trade. "Show me the money" is all he knows.

And Biden is China's bitch.  And the far left, and immigration advocates, etc, etc.

Edited by Shady

5 minutes ago, Shady said:

Biden was incoherent.

Uh huh. That's like watching a learned scholar attempt to give a speech while a retarded fat boy runs around the room screeching insults and making fart noises, and blaming the scholar.

Edited by Argus

The Times of London probably put it best.

"The clearest loser from the first presidential debate between Donald Trump and Joe Biden was America. This was not a debate in any meaningful sense but rather an ill-tempered and at times incomprehensible squabble between two angry septuagenarians who palpably loathe each other".

Second place to the Times of India

"The US embarrassed itself before the world for 100 minutes."

Edited by Argus
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Argus said:

The Times of London probably put it best.

"The clearest loser from the first presidential debate between Donald Trump and Joe Biden was America. This was not a debate in any meaningful sense but rather an ill-tempered and at times incomprehensible squabble between two angry septuagenarians who palpably loathe each other".

Second place to the Times of India

"The US embarrassed itself before the world for 100 minutes."

I agree with that.  There should be better pickings than two men almost 80 years old.

At no time did the moderator assume control of the debate. He just stumbled on to the next question. He should have stopped the dialogue altogether, and gave them both a good berating to follow the rules.

1. One person at a time.
2. No one speaks when I speak.

In short, he should have embarrased them.

Hopefully next debate will be moderated by someone more of the Drill-Sargeant kind.