Re: CORONAVIRUS

So many questions about this virus.

No one really knows much about this virus, right?

Are we being given an accurate information by CHINA regarding stats?  It's all about saving face with China, therefore the possibility that the stats of contamination, and death rates are quite higher than what they say, is very real.

Politicking also plays a big part with countries, and WHO......therefore, no one questions the reliability of China's information.  Or, they don't say it publicly. 

They don't want to cause panic - and especially"racism?"  Liberal ideology can cloud their better judgement?

How can we trust the screening process at entry points,  if the incubation period is 14 days?

If it's being "contained," how come it's still spreading in other countries?

2 hours ago, bcsapper said:

If a person is contagious for up to 14 days before showing symptoms, it cannot be contained. 

Unless everyone stays at home for a fortnight.  I'm up for that, as long as I still get paid.

China has allegedly quarantined cities, and yet it's still spreading.

Furthermore, someone came up with a good point - if an authoritarian regime like China cannot stop the spread of this virus, what more with democratic countries (that can't  prevent people from exercising their freedom)?  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2020 at 6:44 AM, betsy said:

So many questions about this virus.

No one really knows much about this virus, right?

Are we being given an accurate information by CHINA regarding stats?  It's all about saving face with China, therefore the possibility that the stats of contamination, and death rates are quite higher than what they say, is very real.

Politicking also plays a big part with countries, and WHO......therefore, no one questions the reliability of China's information.  Or, they don't say it publicly. 

They don't want to cause panic - and especially"racism?"  Liberal ideology can cloud their better judgement?

How can we trust the screening process at entry points,  if the incubation period is 14 days?

If it's being "contained," how come it's still spreading in other countries?

They know enough to know it mutated from dirty hands processing meat and its easy to know how it spreads, sneezing, coughing, dirty hands touching and leaving the germ on where it touches. Given the crowded over-concentrated populations, the lack of space literally between human bodies and the lack of hand washing are ideal conditions to spread it.

The virus itself can not be cured. What has to happen is the manufacturing of a small dose of the virus into your body with the right mix, to then allow your body to fight it and come up with its own system to then defeat the virus. So as we speak they are probably working on a vaccine. In the interim, people die but less from this virus than the flu and the people who do die, die because they get run down then contract a lung infection which kills them because their bodies can't fight the infection. This happens with people with compromised immunity systems from being aged, having diabetes, cancer, heart disease, lupus, other such illnesses that make your immunities non existent or weak. A typically healthy person will if given sufficient hydration and vitamins and alcohol rubs or other measures to contain the body's heat level from rising too high will fight off the infection on its own.

It sounds worse than it is. In close quarters you bet it spreads. But will it kill you? Probably not unless you are vulnerable.

That said China or any nation processing meat with unsanitary conditions presents the ideal pathway to spread viruses. Once upon a time the kosher and halal diets for example enforced strict rules handling meat which is why you do not see this in the Middle East as you do in China. You do not see it in India also with huge condensed populations due to Hinduism-vegetarianism and Islam limiting the handling of meat. You do see it in China, Latin America-Mexico and some countries in Asia but not for example like in Singapore  or Japan with strict health conditions or Indonesia or Philippines where halal rules still prevail in large parts.

The sad thing is we know why China serves as a pathogen for these viruses but politically you can't burn down China.

It's hard to know exactly what to believe!   Somebody from China says there are at least 100 cremations a day!

CBC showed store shelves in Wuhan getting empty - you wonder if they'll get replenished, and how long it'll take? 

Btw, I tried to get some N95 masks - Home Depot is out of stock,   The salesperson says people were buying them like crazy.  Our Chinese student says he couldn't find any too in Ottawa.  He ordered from the internet.  As much as possible, I want to see what I'm getting before I buy it   I found some at Rona.

Edited by betsy

On 2/10/2020 at 6:06 AM, betsy said:

The salesperson says people were buying them like crazy.  Our Chinese student says he couldn't find any too in Ottawa.  He ordered from the internet. 

I heard a good quote something like people are going nuts trying to get face masks, when only 2 people in the whole country are reportedly infected.

IOW we are all stupid...

12 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

Yeah, I'll get right on it...

You do that, get back to me with what you find out. Wouldn’t want to spread more rumours and fake news that might get people to panic. Next up we’re kicking chinese off the buses.

Edited by OftenWrong

4 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

You do that, get back to me with what you find out. Wouldn’t want to spread more rumours and fake news that might get people to panic. Next up we’re kicking chinese off the buses.

Don't panic.  You'll probably be okay.  And if you're not, well, that's okay too.

6 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

Don't panic.  You'll probably be okay.  And if you're not, well, that's okay too.

We are all ok for a while, until we’re not.

Meanwhile I have looked up some data.

https://www.marketwatch.com

So far this “season” the United States CDC has recorded 19 million cases of influenza, and 10,000 have died. Yawn, not even a bad year. Eh? Coronavirus you say? Carry on

12 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

We are all ok for a while, until we’re not.

Meanwhile I have looked up some data.

https://www.marketwatch.com

So far this “season” the United States CDC has recorded 19 million cases of influenza, and 10,000 have died. Yawn, not even a bad year. Eh? Coronavirus you say? Carry on

Actually I don't.  I just wanted a couple of weeks off.  I'm glad you know it all, though.  It's reassuring.

15 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

Actually I don't.  I just wanted a couple of weeks off.  I'm glad you know it all, though.  It's reassuring.

What I wrote is not about you, or me, other than your tendency to spread fake news. But that’s  not your fault. You are being duped by forces far more powerful than your  addled pate can fathom. I’m talking about the big pharma conglomerates, of course.

3 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

What I wrote is not about you, or me, other than your tendency to spread fake news. But that’s  not your fault. You are being duped by forces far more powerful than your  addled pate can fathom. I’m talking about the big pharma conglomerates, of course.

Ah, I thought you were.  Of course, I might have failed in my bid to spread fake news wide enough to have global effects by limiting it to this site.

Damn!

Edited by bcsapper

12 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

Ah, I thought you were.  Of course, I might have failed in my bid to spread fake news wide enough to have global effects by limiting it to this site.

Damn!

You still might deceive lots of people in the future... those who come to this site and read all the old threads.

Just now, OftenWrong said:

You still might deceive lots of people in the future... those who come to this site and read all the old threads.

Well I hope so.  With any luck, that could run into the dozens!

On 2/11/2020 at 9:56 AM, OftenWrong said:

I heard a good quote something like people are going nuts trying to get face masks, when only 2 people in the whole country are reportedly infected.

IOW we are all stupid...

OTOH if stupid is as stupid does and with everyone wearing masks and gloves maybe the incidence of flu will go way down.

49 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

How to model a viral pandemic...and other fun things with math:

I'm interested in how to model a world-wide viral pandemic as an economic force, such that it shuts down a country's borders, no people allowed in or out, shuts down trade and damages their economy, maybe their entire brand, all without firing a single shot. Self inflicted wound, the final outcome of an inherently dysfunctional society, couldn't come at a better time for the US/ Donald Trump. China now has no choice but to contain the outbreak by isolation.

5 hours ago, OftenWrong said:

China now has no choice but to contain the outbreak by isolation.

That is the choice they have made. They have the choice of not containing it. Give credit where it's due.

On 2/12/2020 at 5:47 AM, OftenWrong said:

You are being duped by forces far more powerful than your  addled pate can fathom

Don't give credit where it's not due.

On 2/9/2020 at 8:48 PM, Rue said:

Once upon a time the kosher and halal diets for example enforced strict rules handling meat which is why you do not see this in the Middle East as you do in China.

The animals reportedly sold at the market were all haram. Muslims don't eat wild animals.