Is climate change, a major concern for Canadians ....

Is climate change important to canadians   

22 members have voted

1. 1. How much would you be willing to give or contribute through taxes or donation to climate change

• Nothing, either you don't care or are not convinced yet
    • more than $100.00, but less than $ 200.00, i care but it is not a top priority
    • more than $ 200.00 but less than 500.00 , I do care
    • Anything it takes as we are in a climate emergancy...

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/02/2019 at 02:12 PM

3 hours ago, Yzermandius19 said:

If Alberta's oilsands are profitable, then the free market will take care of it, if the oilsand's aren't profitable then the government shouldn't be propping them up to make them profitable. Economic nationalism is for rubes.

The government isn't proppping them up, it's standing in their way with ever increasing regulations and taxes.

3 hours ago, jacee said:

But don't fret, we've already solved it: We remove public subsidies from the fossil fuel industries, because they're not profitable without it. Investors flock to green industries, renewable energy.

Done.

Then stop whining. All our problems are solved! We can stop caring about global warming now!

2 hours ago, jacee said:

I distinguish between healthy capitalism and predatory capitalism.

Predatory capitalism lies to people and corrupts governments to promote products that are destructive to people and environments. 

I'm not sure how we address that, but the distinction is absolutely necessary. 

How do you distinguish? Because to me it seems like free market activity that supports a product you don't like is predatory and free market activity that supports a product you do like is healthy, and you don't seem very able to distinguish what types of free market activity are actually healthy and which are predatory. It's just seems like, "I don't like Fossil Fuels, therefore predatory".

Edited by Yzermandius19

4 minutes ago, Argus said:

The government isn't proppping them up, it's standing in their way with ever increasing regulations and taxes.

They are also subsidizing them, but I agree the taxes and regulations aren't helping. Level the playing field, and let the best product win.

Edited by Yzermandius19

3 hours ago, bcsapper said:

But that aside, I still think you are talking hope and pray, not reality.  I'll believe we are going to renewables when the car companies stop producing vehicles with internal combustion engines.  They won't make them if they don't think they can sell them.

Do you know what percentage of the world's energy (excluding hydro and nuclear) comes from renewables? Less than 1%

By comparison, coal is 28%

2% of cars are electric.

3 minutes ago, Yzermandius19 said:

They are also subsidizing them, but I agree the taxes and regulations aren't helping. Level the playing field, and let the best product win.

Most of what the left calls 'subsidies' is derived by deciding how much pollution or health issues are caused by using fossil fuels in power plants and in cars and trucks, and then saying that since the government is not taxing that amount back from oil producers that amounts to a subsidy.

Edited by Argus

2 hours ago, jacee said:

"mass immigration" is caused by predatory capitalists destroying other countries to steal their natural resources.

Countries that are screwed up are screwed up because of their ignorance, corruption and ultimately, their values.

That the far left constantly looks for some white guy to blame for all the developing world's problems is due to the inherent bigotry of the Left in emotionally equating non-whites to ignorant, helpless, innocent children incapable of taking care of themselves or making their own decisions.

3 minutes ago, Argus said:

Most of what the left calls 'subsidies' is derived by deciding how much pollution or health issues are caused by using fossil fuels in power plants and in cars and trucks, and then saying that since the government is not taxing that amount back from oil producers that amounts to a subsidy.

Yeah but there are actual subsidies too, not just the fake kind, and they should go.

Edited by Yzermandius19

3 hours ago, PPC2019 said:

Well the environmentalist don't think $1.70 a liter is expensive enough. Why don't you pay $3 for your carbon tax. I'm sure the Marxists would be happy. Until mommy and daddy kick them their of the basement, and they look at $25 steaks and realize.... F'c that... I don't want my entire paycheck going to food.

If Alberta was allowed to sell to Ontario, and we actually built refineries... If you got rid of the stupid regulations, We could have gasoline at $65 cents.

Quebec does not want to buy oil from Alberta but it has no problem buying oil from America and Islamic Saudi Arabia. Go figure, eh?  It is not hard to see that Quebec is very, very anti-Alberta. It's time for Alberta to start to kick Quebec's ass. Alberta does not need Quebec. It is Quebec that needs Alberta. Quebec only wants their money. Alberta needs to stop giving their money to Quebec. Quebec is only a spoiled and childish little divisive province in Canada. Quebec has done not a dam thing to try and make Canada great. 

Trudeau is very anti-oil and very anti-Alberta. As you said, we could be paying 65 cents a liter, or even less, if it were not for Trudeau and the wacko environ"mental"ists like Suzuki. Those three alone will never be happy until they see us all driving around in vehicles like Fred Flintstone use to drive around in. :D

1 minute ago, Yzermandius19 said:

Yeah but there are actual subsidies too, not just the fake kind, and they should go.

What industry doesn't get some kind of subsidy in Canada? Renewables get massive subsidies. And when those subsidies are removed, renewables become unaffordable.

Just now, Argus said:

What industry doesn't get some kind of subsidy in Canada? Renewables get massive subsidies. And when those subsidies are removed, renewables become unaffordable.

Get rid of all the energy subsidies, level the playing field, let the market sort out the winners and losers, not National Helicopter Mommy.

Guest PPC2019
1 minute ago, taxme said:

Quebec does not want to buy oil from Alberta but it has no problem buying oil from America and Islamic Saudi Arabia. Go figure, eh?  It is not hard to see that Quebec is very, very anti-Alberta. It's time for Alberta to start to kick Quebec's ass. Alberta does not need Quebec. It is Quebec that needs Alberta. Quebec only wants their money. Alberta needs to stop giving their money to Quebec. Quebec is only a spoiled and childish little divisive province in Canada. Quebec has done not a dam thing to try and make Canada great. 

Trudeau is very anti-oil and very anti-Alberta. As you said, we could be paying 65 cents a liter, or even less, if it were not for Trudeau and the wacko environ"mental"ists like Suzuki. Those three alone will never be happy until they see us all driving around in vehicles like Fred Flintstone use to drive around in. :D

I mean there selling it dirt cheap to the states. We should be begging Alberta for their cheap oil. We should get a discount for buying in bulk.

3 hours ago, jacee said:

Hey, taxme and PPC ... the thread is about climate change. 

Overpopulation is not the problem.

Fossil fuels are the problem.

But don't fret, we've already solved it: We remove public subsidies from the fossil fuel industries, because they're not profitable without it. Investors flock to green industries, renewable energy.

Done.

You can start another thread about overpopulation. :P

Overpopulation is the problem, silly. More population means more pollution. It is as simple as that. Geez, some people's kids. :rolleyes:

3 minutes ago, Yzermandius19 said:

Get rid of all the energy subsidies, level the playing field, let the market sort out the winners and losers, not National Helicopter Mommy.

I'm entirely in favour of eliminating all corporate welfare. That was one of the policies of the PPC which caused me to vote for them.

Guest PPC2019
6 minutes ago, taxme said:

Overpopulation is the problem, silly. More population means more pollution. It is as simple as that. Geez, some people's kids. :rolleyes:

It shows the true hypocrisy of anyone claiming to be an environmentalists.

Let me ask you Taxme... You're From Vancouver.... Do you feel like you're missing out on any action, because Vancouver isn't big enough?

Is there not enough restaurants to eat at, or shopping malls to go to when your bored? If there not enough beautiful condos? Do you need to see the entire southern coastline covered in them?

Are you not happy with the cheap houses... Do you wish the average home would cost $3 million instead of $1.5?

We're running out of room right? Should we bulldoze Stanley park, and build a bunch of Town houses?

Or should be continue to bring in the rich Multi Millionaire Asians to make sure people like your grand-kids never have a shot at buying a home?

Didn't Vancouver have a serious water shortage a few years back, and the reservoirs were drying up? Should we build more houses, so those reservoirs can dry up even faster?

Edited by PPC2019

2 minutes ago, PPC2019 said:

I mean there selling it dirt cheap to the states. We should be begging Alberta for their cheap oil. We should get a discount for buying in bulk.

Sell it to Canadians who will gladly buy Alberta oil and pay 60 cents a liter for it. Think Canada, and not the rest of the world for a change. Alberta does not need to market their oil. Just sell their oil in Canada and to Canadians and they still can make plenty of money. they do not need to become a billion dollar oil industry. 

Guest PPC2019
6 minutes ago, taxme said:

Sell it to Canadians who will gladly buy Alberta oil and pay 60 cents a liter for it. Think Canada, and not the rest of the world for a change. Alberta does not need to market their oil. Just sell their oil in Canada and to Canadians and they still can make plenty of money. they do not need to become a billion dollar oil industry. 

I heard somewhere that we ship our oil to the states, because we don't even have our own refinery's.

So we basically ship it them, just to have them refine it, and ship it back to us?

Wouldn't building a few refineries province thousands of jobs?

If I was on a native community.... I would be begging for a refinery to be built. They could cash in so fast, their heads would spin.

Edited by PPC2019

1 minute ago, PPC2019 said:

I heard somewhere that we ship our oil to the states, because we don't even have our own refiners.

So we basically ship it them, just to have them refine it, and ship it back to us?

Wouldn't building a few refineries province thousands of jobs?

If I was on a native community.... I would be begging for a refinery to be built. They could cash in so fast, their heads would spin.

Canada has 14 refineries, the largest is in New Brunswick.  I think you may have been misinformed.  

1 minute ago, PPC2019 said:

It shows the true hypocrisy of anyone claiming to be an environmentalists.

Let me ask you Taxme... You're From Vancouver.... Do you feel like you're missing out on any action, because Vancouver isn't big enough.

Is there not enough restaurants to eat at, or shopping malls to go to when your bored? If there not enough beautiful condos? Do you need to see the entire southern coastline covered in them?

Are you not happy with the cheap houses... Do you wish the average home would cost $3 million instead of $1.5?

We're running out of room right? Should we bulldoze Stanley park, and build a bunch of Town houses?

Or should be continue to bring in the rich Multi Millionaire Asians to make sure people like your grand-kids never have a shot at buying a home?

Vancouver is big enough. Vancouver council keeps whining about housing but yet wants more Asian millionaires who have been responsible for the high prices of homes in Vancouver, and now else where in BC. BC does not need anymore Asian millionaires anymore. It is the BC politicians that seem to want more Asian money to come buy up BC. Geez, for those Asian communists, they seem to be doing quite well here in BC. 

I am not happy with anything that the politicians are doing here in BC these days. All we seem to get from those bunch of bozos in Victoria is more taxes, more government, more immigration, and less freedom. And this present day BC government has gone really wacko over climate change and who appears to be in the minority when it comes to believing in climate change. But in BC and Canada, the minority seems to always win over the majority? Why is that? 

Guest PPC2019
4 minutes ago, Cannucklehead said:

Canada has 14 refineries, the largest is in New Brunswick.  I think you may have been misinformed.  

Well apparently we don't have enough... and that's why we pay way more for gasoline than the Americans. We're not able to get all our oil refined. We should be building refineries for American oil... Ship it back to them, but I don't think Donald Trump would like that idea.. He can be a very smart businessman.

It cost me $27 Canadian to fill My tank in Delaware, and $44 Canadian here.

Edited by PPC2019

Guest PPC2019
Just now, taxme said:

Vancouver is big enough. Vancouver council keeps whining about housing but yet wants more Asian millionaires who have been responsible for the high prices of homes in Vancouver, and now else where in BC. BC does not need anymore Asian millionaires anymore. It is the BC politicians that seem to want more Asian money to come buy up BC. Geez, for those Asian communists, they seem to be doing quite well here in BC. 

I am not happy with anything that the politicians are doing here in BC these days. All we seem to get from those bunch of bozos in Victoria is more taxes, more government, more immigration, and less freedom. And this present day BC government has gone really wacko over climate change and who appears to be in the minority when it comes to believing in climate change. But in BC and Canada, the minority seems to always win over the majority? Why is that? 

Get yourself on steemit.com sometime, make a little crypto currency with your posts and comments :) You shouldn't be giving away this free advice.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/nationalpost.com/news/canada/if-canada-has-so-much-oil-why-is-our-gasoline-so-expensive/amp

The number one reason for high Canadian gas prices, by a long shot, is taxes. Road tax, carbon tax, federal excise tax, GST, HST and, in some cases, a municipal transit tax. Metro Vancouver, for one, keeps its SkyTrains running with a 17 cent per litre municipal gasoline tax. According to the Washington, D.C.-based Tax Foundation, the highest gas taxes in the United States are in Pennsylvania, where the total government take on a litre of gasoline is equivalent to $0.26 CDN. Compare that to Montreal where drivers are paying$0.32 per litre in federal excise tax, provincial fuel tax and local transit tax. And that’s before the 15 per cent sales tax.

That plus the dollar makes all the difference.  

3 minutes ago, PPC2019 said:

Well apparently we don't have enough... and that's why we pay way more for gasoline than the Americans. We're not able to get all our oil refined. We should be building refineries for American oil... Ship it back to them, but I don't think Donald Trump would like that idea.. He can be a very smart businessman.

Many of Canada's refineries cannot economically upgrade bitumen, so it is cheaper to send dilbit by pipeline to the Americans instead, them import the upgraded distillates.   And the refineries that Canada does have mostly do not run at capacity.  

Canada's economy operates far more north > south than west > east...been that way for a long time.

Guest PPC2019
1 minute ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Many of Canada's refineries cannot economically upgrade bitumen, so it is cheaper to send dilbit by pipeline to the Americans instead, them import the upgraded distillates.   And the refineries that Canada does have mostly do not run at capacity.  

Canada's economy operates far more north > south than west > east...been that way for a long time.

That you build refineries that can upgrade bitumen. That means thousands of jobs. I don't even care if it's an expensive process. That just means more jobs for Canadians!

3 hours ago, Yzermandius19 said:

The immigrants have more kids, and they don't need incentivizes to have them. If Canadian whites need to be bribed into having kids, and the non-white immigrants don't, then it will save Canadians a lot of money to bring in more immigrants than bribe the White Canadians into having kids, and it will mean less government interference in our lives too.

Sorry but your preference for the National Helicopter Mommy over bringing in more immigrants makes you a bigger problem to Canada than the immigrants you scapegoat for all of Canada's problems. The problem is National Helicopter Mommy, not the immigrants, stop making a deal with the devil to address an issue that is far less important by empowering the devil. You are not helping.

So, if the new immigrants are having more kids then white people are having then why are we bringing in more new immigrants by the hundreds of thousands every year into Canada then we need too? I am pretty sure that the births in Canada are on par with the deaths in Canada. Births might even be higher than deaths in Canada with the amount of new immigrants being allowed into Canada these days or years. 

No my boy, you are just not getting the picture yet. You just want to see Canada have a population of 50 million in the next decade or so. You refuse to want to avoid the damage that kind of immigration will cause for Canada and Canadians. If anyone here who is not helping it is you. You appear to be more in favor of massive chaos traffic grid rather than less.  

I am not quite sure as to what the real meaning is of "National Helicopter Mommy", so I cannot comment on those words when others here use those words. I think that I have an idea but not really sure about that idea. If you are going to throw those words at me well you better explain what those words really mean.