Permanent tariffs on China could create 1m jobs in the US alone

This is not my conclusion, but the conclusion made by a study conducted by economists, for a scenario in which China's exports were dutifully taxed 25%.

https://www.prosperousamerica.org/press_release_new_study_shows_china_tariffs_could_creat_up_to_one_million_jobs

Why aren't we, in Canada, trying to backstab China as they do so often to us, and make our working class richer?

26 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

There oughta be a law, just for fun;  let's call it the Hawley-Smoot Tariff Act. :)

Contrary to the Hawley-Smooy Tariffs inflicted on trade partners, it would be a deadly blow to a trading opponent. I singled out China on this thread because they are not economic partners in any way shape or form.

China is Canada's second largest trading partner, if they aren't economic trading partners in any way shape or form, then Canada has no trading partners aside from America. The only tariffs that would hurt Canada more than tariffs on the Chinese, would be tariffs on American goods and services.

Edited by Yzermandius19

12 minutes ago, Yzermandius19 said:

China is Canada's second largest trading partner, if they aren't economic trading partners in any way shape or form, then Canada has no trading partners aside from America. The only tariffs that would hurt Canada more than tariffs on the Chinese, would be tariffs on American goods and services.

RB Bennet don't care, Smoot-Hawley naow, lol.

1 minute ago, Yzermandius19 said:

As long as it hurts China, if it hurts Canada even more, the RB Bennett's of the world are down. 

F*ck Chinaberta lets shoot ourselves in the foot, that'll show those Chicoms.

lulz

The parallels with the 1920's are getting eerie naow

Return to Normalcy,  Warren G!

5 minutes ago, Yzermandius19 said:

Even Biden running on a Return to Normalcy, even though Warren G. Harding 2.0 is in the White House.

Canadians had Warren G. Harding Derangement Syndrome back in the day, same rally around the Nanny State propaganda back then too, eerily the same.

The same stupid shit just keeps coming around again and again.

Domino, muthahfuckahs.

Edited by Dougie93

3 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

Canadians had Warren G. Harding Derangement Syndrome back in the day, same rally around the Nanny State propaganda back then too, eerily the same.

Wonder if Trump's second term will be Coolidge-esque, given the twenties parallels.

Keep Cool With Trump-idge.
Keep-Cool-idge.jpg

Edited by Yzermandius19

So you realize it's not just "sticking it to China"? It's sticking it to the struggling low-wage consumers who survive on their products.

Why are fake conservatives suddenly so enamored with the power of taxation? I thought they were opposed to high taxes on low-income people. They're really only in favour of tax cuts when they benefit the super wealthy and want to jack them up on the poorest people? 

That seems like a winning political strategy.

18 minutes ago, Yzermandius19 said:

Doing so would slow down the rate at which every class grows richer, particularly the least wealthy classes.

Our grandparents sacrificed 25% of their GDP in the war against tyranny. I think they'd be disgusted at how much our GDP now depends on tyrants.

10 minutes ago, eyeball said:

Our grandparents sacrificed 25% of their GDP in the war against tyranny. I think they'd be disgusted at how much our GDP now depends on tyrants.

I don't think they'd be disgusted, because they see the wealth we have now, and don't want to go back to that, just so you can feel that Canada is doing the "right" thing.

I can assure you that my grandparents aren't disgusted and have possessions that were made in China, they ain't much for the virtue signaling you project on them, that's a millenial thing.

You know who isn't disgusted? The average consumer who loves cheaper products. You want to punish them so you can feel better about "standing up to tyranny", while deluding yourself into thinking only the rich benefit from trade in China, so you can pretend you're doing them a favor when advocating for shooting them in the foot.

Edited by Yzermandius19

27 minutes ago, Yzermandius19 said:

You know who isn't disgusted? The average consumer who loves cheaper products. You want to punish them so...

We try to alter public behaviour to produce better outcomes all the time using taxes.  If we want people to produce less CO2 we put a price on doing so.  If we want less tyranny in the world we tax people who support tyranny.  See how it works? 

You want to punish them so you can feel better about "standing up to tyranny", while deluding yourself into thinking only the rich benefit from trade in China, so you can pretend you're doing them a favor when advocating for shooting them in the foot.

No, I actually just want less tyranny in the world.

4 minutes ago, eyeball said:

We try to alter public behaviour to produce better outcomes all the time using taxes.  If we want people to produce less CO2 we put a price on doing so.  If we want less tyranny in the world we tax people who support tyranny.  See how it works? 

No, I actually just want less tyranny in the world.

I am not in favor of sin taxes, including a carbon tax, they don't work.

Putting tariffs on Chinese products won't result in less tyranny in the world, it will result in more tyranny. That doesn't work.

Higher taxes won't produce the behavior you desire, you just misguidedly think it will.

Edited by Yzermandius19

6 minutes ago, Yzermandius19 said:

I am not in favor of sin taxes, including a carbon tax, they don't work.

Putting tariffs on Chinese products won't result in less tyranny in the world, it will result in more tyranny. That doesn't work.

Higher taxes won't produce the behavior you desire, you just misguidedly think it will.

Yes they will, at least according to expert guidance I've read on the subject - a guidance that seems to outweigh that which is offered by their critics.

In any case, empowering and enriching a dictatorship is just wrong, especially when it's done for profit.

32 minutes ago, eyeball said:

Yes they will, at least according to expert guidance I've read on the subject - a guidance that seems to outweigh that which is offered by their critics.

In any case, empowering and enriching a dictatorship is just wrong, especially when it's done for profit.

Pragmatism > Virtue Signaling

2 hours ago, Yzermandius19 said:

Doing so would slow down the rate at which every class grows richer, particularly the least wealthy classes.

Wait, so having more jobs for uneducated men and women, having more manufacturing jobs, which drives the wages and working conditions up, is bad for the poor?