Pricing: $3.47

Now that we no longer have 1 cent coins and even the 5 cent and the dime seem totally irrelevant, we go to a store like Wal-Mart, or any other store to find price tags reading like.........well lets leave the pictures speak for themselves:

IMG_0634.JPG

IMG_0635.JPG

IMG_0636.JPG

IMG_0637.JPG

IMG_0638.JPG

IMG_0639.JPG

IMG_0640.JPG

IMG_0641.JPG

• Like 1

This is to make a person think the price is a result of some real calculation involving production and transportation costs, profit margin and what not, but no, now we can be sure all is pure guesswork and manipulation to extort to the highest amount of cash from our pockets.

Not that I can do much about it, but when at the end of the shopping I go to the automated self-check out, where the voice of their Siri starts reading the prices in her mechanical voice and after each one keeps saying "and ninety seven cents" , I start thinking, why the heck did we not have a banknote like the one below to begin with and make calculations easier???  !!!

10_97_Dollars.jpg

Edited by cougar
  • Like 1

I'm pretty sure it's $4.97 because at first glance it seems closer to $4 than $5. But there's always tax anyway, so that isn't even what you wind up paying.

Awesome looking bill though. I like that building on the back. I like strolling to the top of it in the winter.

Seems kind of odd Walmart would set prices with the price ending in "7," considering it would be rounded off to "5."  If anything, one wonders why the prices are not rounded off to the nearest "8." Leaving the consumer to think prices are really cheaper than they are, when in fact since Canadian prices are rounded off to the nearest 5, it makes the product appear more expensive, considering a $4.97 item will be rounded off to $4.95 (sans taxes), as opposed to pricing an item at $4.98, and having it rounded off to $5.00

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BubberMiley said:

It's only rounded if you pay cash and nobody does that anymore.

Of course people pay cash.  I just went and withdrew $200 as I am going to Gimli this weekend. Did you want to join us?

Edited by J4L

12 hours ago, BubberMiley said:

I'm pretty sure it's $4.97 because at first glance it seems closer to $4 than $5. But there's always tax anyway, so that isn't even what you wind up paying.

Psychologically, when you see a 10 instead of an 11 at the start, you do think it's cheaper. Intellectually you know it's 11, but it still 'feels' cheaper. That's why everyone does it.

11 hours ago, J4L said:

Seems kind of odd Walmart would set prices with the price ending in "7," considering it would be rounded off to "5."  If anything, one wonders why the prices are not rounded off to the nearest "8." Leaving the consumer to think prices are really cheaper than they are, when in fact since Canadian prices are rounded off to the nearest 5, it makes the product appear more expensive, considering a $4.97 item will be rounded off to $4.95 (sans taxes), as opposed to pricing an item at $4.98, and having it rounded off to $5.00

ya, they all have the same number of rounded up. The '7' must be the  new '9' :P.

items \ ending 6 7 8 9
1 6 7 8 9
2 12 14 16 18
3 18 21 24 27
4 24 28 32 36
5 30 35 40 45
6 36 42 48 54
7 42 49 56 63
8 48 56 64 72
9 54 63 72 81

16 hours ago, cougar said:

This is to make a person think the price is a result of some real calculation involving production and transportation costs, profit margin and what not, but no, now we can be sure all is pure guesswork and manipulation to extort to the highest amount of cash from our pockets.

Not that I can do much about it, but when at the end of the shopping I go to the automated self-check out, where the voice of their Siri starts reading the prices in her mechanical voice and after each one keeps saying "and ninety seven cents" , I start thinking, why the heck did we not have a banknote like the one below to begin with and make calculations easier???  !!!

10_97_Dollars.jpg

It should say $10 Canadian, 70 cents American. :lol: 

15 hours ago, BubberMiley said:

Awesome looking bill though. I like that building on the back. I like strolling to the top of it in the winter.

I prefer the old ten dollar bill with the picture of our first Prime Minister of Canada Sir John A. Macdonald on it. Replacing the first PM of Canada and putting an unknown woman on it was a disgrace. But this is the new Canada of today, don't you know. Try and erase our British history.  :( 

What is that building anyway? Just wondering. 

On 7/13/2019 at 11:50 AM, taxme said:

What is that building anyway? Just wondering. 

Appears to be the Canadian Museum for Human Rights as shown in  a 2014 stamp edition:

DHA-i.jpg