Have we abolished Christmas?

1 minute ago, dialamah said:

I think in some cases they should not, due to lack of food resulting in potential safety issues.

Perhaps in hard manual labour; but then I'd imagine that the Qur'an would allow them to eat at least in moderation. I'd have to refer to the Qur'an again for this, but I can't imagine that no exception would have been made for such a situation.

1 minute ago, Machjo said:

Perhaps in hard manual labour; but then I'd imagine that the Qur'an would allow them to eat at least in moderation. I'd have to refer to the Qur'an again for this, but I can't imagine that no exception would have been made for such a situation.

Hard to say, I know there are exceptions for sick people, and I think for pregnant/nursing women and young children.  Good question, think I will ask someone.

9 minutes ago, dialamah said:

Hard to say, I know there are exceptions for sick people, and I think for pregnant/nursing women and young children.  Good question, think I will ask someone.

And I remember reading an exception for the elderly too. I don't profess Islam anyway; but I can imagine that a hard manual labourer would need to think seriously about adopting Islam if it didn't allow him to eat even in moderation in the daytime during Ramadan.

I'm part of a secret liberal 'culture target' demolition crew.  We are actually the ones who started 'Happy Holidays' and got Soros to fund the Starbucks cup that removed baby Jesus from the manger.

Next phase of the plan is to have people wishing each other 'Happy Sojourn', to have government mandate flexible stat holidays, to work with PETA to emphasize the donkey and other manger animals, and to promote a non-materialistic holiday with fewer presents.  We will also merge with Hannukah.

I am so confident in the mainstream media's hold on the public that I can publicize our plan here in the full knowledge that it will get zero coverage.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Machjo said:

Is a common day off really the epitome of a common culture? How will we ever integrate shift workers?

The day off is only a small part of it. It's the whole month long cultural festival of eating, partying, gift-giving, music, decorations, visits and shopping which leads up to it.

9 minutes ago, Argus said:

The day off is only a small part of it. It's the whole month long cultural festival of eating, partying, gift-giving, music, decorations, visits and shopping which leads up to it.

You just proved my point. Even though most of December is not a statutory month-long holiday, people still manage to celebrate it. So why do they need Christmas as a statutory holiday to celebrate that too? In fact, it's somewhat insulting to Christians. It's like saying that they couldn't find the time to celebrate it without entrenching it into the law even though people still find time to celebrate halloween and other religious holidays.

Edited by Machjo

15 hours ago, Machjo said:

You just proved my point. Even though most of December is not a statutory month-long holiday, people still manage to celebrate it. So why do they need Christmas as a statutory holiday to celebrate that too? In fact, it's somewhat insulting to Christians. It's like saying that they couldn't find the time to celebrate it without entrenching it into the law even though people still find time to celebrate halloween and other religious holidays.

You are focusing on the stat holiday even though the mandated day off wasn't the intent of the OP in launching this discussion.

13 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

I bought a Ramadan Reindeer ornament today. Hi.

There's something about the Left which requires its members to prove their virtue by needlessly mocking Canadian traditions. Never understood this.

Edited by Argus
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, -TSS- said:

It is nowadays happy holidays instead of merry christmas. That offends nobody as there days not offending anyone is the main priority.

I have given and received "Merry Christmas" several times this year already, certainly more than "Happy Holidays".   This "nobody can say Merry Christmas any more" is as big a myth this year as it was last year, and the year before and the uear before that.

12 hours ago, dialamah said:

I have given and received "Merry Christmas" several times this year already, certainly more than "Happy Holidays".   This "nobody can say Merry Christmas any more" is as big a myth this year as it was last year, and the year before and the uear before that.

Just remember where you live.  Downtown Hogtown is a very, very different place from the ROC.

12 hours ago, dialamah said:

I'm in downtown TO and I am not conscious of anyone giving a care about Happy Holidays vs Merry Christmas.  There's an element of bullshit around politics these days.  People with nothing to do focus on unimportant issues and blow them up, like Starbucks cups and non-binding UN agreements.

Our biggest issue is Unity, and a major part of that is seemingly intelligent people falling for bullshit websites as news.  Merry Christmas dialamah...

• Like 1

On 12/19/2018 at 12:38 PM, turningrite said:

I attended a medical appointment earlier today and after so doing dropped into a large food court nearby for lunch. After my attendant, whom I require due to a serious mobility issue, brought my food tray to the table I asked if he noticed anything unusual.. He visually scanned the area and said the only thing he noticed was that we were among the few Caucasians in the room. I concurred, noting that the food court is astride a complex of provincial government offices thus rendering the demographic composition of the lunch crowd quite usual for that location based on my prior experience. But, I asked him, had he not noticed that there were absolutely no Christmas decorations in sight. "You're right," he responded with surprise, going on to wonder whether somebody had complained about them. After finishing lunch we went into a store adjacent to the food court and I asked the clerk why there weren't Christmas decorations in the vicinity and she said that she too was puzzled because this was the first time during her years working at that location that Christmas had gone unacknowledged.

I can't help but laugh at the image of white people meeting randomly and sharing observations about how few in number they're becoming and how their traditions are disappearing around them.  OTOH its rather sad to think there are people who actually spend their time dwelling and lamenting on this sort of thing.  Life is just too short. 

I'm not a particularly religious person and therefore not really offended by the absence of Christmas decor in such a location, but it made me wonder whether it's now the time to abolish all religious symbolism from the public sphere? If we can get by without Christmas, why do we bother allowing or acknowledging any other kind of religious tradition or symbolism? For the sake of diversity, maybe all religion needs to go.

So for the sake of diversity everyone should become secular and the same?  That seems a little contradictory.

Edited by eyeball

1 hour ago, Canuck100 said:

It’s not difficult to understand some of the reasoning for lack of Christmas decorations after reading this article:

Why are only some kinds of hate allowed in Canada?

I hadn't even heard about this incident until reading your post. And then I tried to find it online. There's international and American coverage but I couldn't find it on a single Canadian MSM site. It led me to wonder what the response would have been had a Christian religious leader made such a similarly inflammatory comment about acknowledging or accommodating, say, Islam? My guess is that it would have been a lead story on Canadian sites and prompted vociferous condemnation by the "diversity" crowd, including politicians. But comparing the use of the salutation 'Merry Christmas' to murder, or worse, seems to pass under the radar. Apologists will no doubt say that those who espouse such views in the name of religion are merely "evolving" and we shouldn't be worried. But it seems to me that we're allowing a dangerous form of cultural relativism to become entrenched. In my opinion, it provides more justification to adopt an explicit policy of official secularism.

26 minutes ago, eyeball said:

1.) I can't help but laugh at the image of white people meeting randomly and sharing observations about how few in number they're becoming and how their traditions are disappearing around them.  OTOH its rather sad to think there are people who actually spend their time dwelling and lamenting on this sort of thing.  Life is just too short. 

2.) So for the sake of diversity everyone should become secular and the same?  That seems a little contradictory.

1.) It might help your argument if you didn't make things up to justify your apparently inflammatory opinions. Simply observing that Christmas decorations are no longer put up in venues where they were once commonplace doesn't substantiate your world view. If you'd actually read and understood my comment, you'd see that I use the incident not to lament the loss of Christmas traditions but to encourage the adoption of secularism. We Westerners seem to be adapting quite well to our diminishing demographic and cultural dominance. It seems that many others, however, are quite insecure. Maybe you should read the comment posted by Canuck100 about an hour ago.

2.) Secularism is the only effective antidote to religious chauvinism. People can worship in whatever fashion they wish in private or in their own religious institutions. Otherwise, diversity requires a common public ethos in order to succeed and the only one available where religion is concerned is secularism.

Edited by turningrite

22 minutes ago, eyeball said:

I can't help but laugh at the image of white people meeting randomly and sharing observations about how few in number they're becoming and how their traditions are disappearing around them.  OTOH its rather sad to think there are people who actually spend their time dwelling and lamenting on this sort of thing.  Life is just too short.

Well, any colour, really.  Anyone who whines about their culture, language or traditions disappearing doesn't seem to realise that that is what those things do.  They all disappear eventually.  Suck it up, that's what I say.

2 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

Well, any colour, really.  Anyone who whines about their culture, language or traditions disappearing doesn't seem to realise that that is what those things do.  They all disappear eventually.  Suck it up, that's what I say.

Who, exactly, is whining? Certainly not me, as Eyeball seems to imply, mainly I think because it's convenient for him to believe this. I think it's time to seize the opportunity to move on and get religion out of the public realm altogether.