The Slow Painful Death of the Trump Administration

Just now, Iznogoud said:

As I pointed out in my OP Trump's own actions are working to bring him down.  There is nothing very complex about this.  Almost all governments are brought down by an accumulation of their own actions.  Trump simply seems to be working harder than most on his own demise.  Public opinion matters and Trump seems to be doing everything he can to turn independent voters against him. 

Actually, Trumps approval ratings remain very consistent, much better than Trudeau's, Merkel's, Macron's, or May's.

8 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Actually, Trumps approval ratings remain very consistent, much better than Trudeau's, Merkel's, Macron's, or May's.

It is independent voters that matter, as Trump found out in the midterms when many of them voted Democrat.  The fanatical 40% will probably cling to him to the end. Here is an article which I think takes a even-handed look at Trump's current popularity.  BTW I never said Trump was going to be out next week.  "Slow painful death" means exactly that. 

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-shutdown-is-hurting-trumps-approval-rating-but-will-it-hurt-him-in-2020/

Just now, Iznogoud said:

It is independent voters that matter, as Trump found out in the midterms when many of them voted Democrat.  The fanatical 40% will probably cling to him to the end. Here is an article which I think takes a even-handed look at Trump's current popularity.  BTW I never said Trump was going to be out next week.  "Slow painful death" means exactly that.

Well, this may come as a surprise to you, but U.S. presidents are subject to term limits and elections at 4 years.  It is not in any way considered to be death, painful or otherwise, unless they are assassinated or succumb to a terminal disease.

Donald Trump remains more popular with his base and independents than several previous presidents who have served two full terms.   He will have his presidency like all the others, and many books will be written, like all the others, and he will forever be the 45th President of the United States.

1 minute ago, Dougie93 said:

Trump is expanding, because at first I was skeptical but as it was explained to me by freedom loving Red State libertarian and limited government conservatives I came to see the genius of it, to include them being the ones running it and not him, him simply being their messenger.

That's right....President Trump is a rude, crude, chaotic political bastard...but he is our bastard.

4 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

That's right....President Trump is a rude, crude, chaotic political bastard...but he is our bastard.

Brilliantly post modern, the message is the medium Marshall Mcluhan, bulls in China shops become appropriate as necessary, Hurly Burly  in effect, God bless America.

55 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

I didn't make the rules of the game, but I sure understand how the game is played, and so does Trump.

More Russians have died than all the allies combined.

Canada is now the weakest link.

I agree that the Russian people suffered greatly, first in battle, then returning home from the war where they were then accused of being spies and thrown in gulags. Stalin literally made war on his own people through the NKVD.  We’re talking over 20000000 people.  Some estimates are as high as 70 million by the time of Stalin’s death.  Yet the people of Russia respect the strong man and propaganda pics of Stalin still abound.  

I really like the Russian people, but what they have is not democracy.  Putin is a dangerous and smart leader with ambition.  I’m not sure Trump directly reports to Putin and carries out his orders, but I’m quite certain that Trump was groomed to trust and buy into the Russian government’s narratives.  It’s looking more like he was financed and assured of political support leading up to the election.  

2 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

I agree that the Russian people suffered greatly, first in battle, then returning home from the war where they were then accused of being spies and thrown in gulags. Stalin literally made war on his own people through the NKVD.  We’re talking over 20000000 people.  Some estimates are as high as 70 million by the time of Stalin’s death.  Yet the people of Russia respect the strong man and propaganda pics of Stalin still abound. 

Then you will understand the Russian leader has that legacy and responsibility, backed up by raw military power, even if diminished.    This commands respect, even from his foes.

I personally faced the Soviets on Cold War battle lines,  and the Russians continue that tradition, particularly as NATO has pushed further east, so brave when backed up by American military and economic power.

Trump and others see the folly in this.

I really like the Russian people, but what they have is not democracy.  Putin is a dangerous and smart leader with ambition.  I’m not sure Trump directly reports to Putin and carries out his orders, but I’m quite certain that Trump was groomed to trust and buy into the Russian government’s narratives.  It’s looking more like he was financed and assured of political support leading up to the election.  

Sure....Putin "ordered" Trump to bomb Russian troops and mercenaries in Syria.

Just now, bush_cheney2004 said:

Then you will understand the Russian leader has that legacy and responsibility, backed up by raw military power, even if diminished.    This commands respect, even from his foes.

I personally faced the Soviets on Cold War battle lines,  and the Russians continue that tradition, particularly as NATO has pushed further east, so brave when backed up by American military and economic power.

Trump and others see the folly in this.

Sure....Putin "ordered" Trump to bomb Russian troops and mercenaries in Syria.

That for me was Trump’s finest hour, but it was a brief hour and was inconsistent with his other messaging.  

1 minute ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Except the Soviets at least had an ideology, simply with a kleptocracy barnacled unto it, whereas Russia is just a kleptocracy.

Vladimir V. Putin is a kleptocrat, but to a purpose, which is to be able to survive in a kleptocracy so that he can engage in revanchism to reclaim glory lost by military defeat and economic collapse, particularly to the Russian Near Abroad Russo-Hegenomy.

2 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Okay...then Putin also ordered Trump to impose more sanctions on Russia....because Putin likes sanctions....right ?

It’s political theatre.  Trump has to look the part and those sanctions aren’t really from the POTUS.  He couldn’t very well oppose them. 

Just now, Dougie93 said:

Except the Soviets at least had an ideology, simply with a kleptocracy barnacled unto it, whereas Russia is just a kleptocracy.

Vladimir V. Putin is a kleptocrat, but to a purpose, which is to be able to survive in a kleptocracy so that he can engage in revanchism to reclaim glory lost by military defeat and economic collapse, particularly to the Russian Near Abroad Russo-Hegenomy.

Doesn't matter....even in collapse...Russia would still be a very if not even more dangerous nation.   My previous defense contractor employer helped to demil many FSU client states as they raced for democracy without regard for the safe keeping of dangerous munitions.

Russia matters....has mattered for hundreds of years...is not going away...is not going to embrace "democracy" any time soon.

Just now, Zeitgeist said:

It’s political theatre.  Trump has to look the part and those sanctions aren’t really from the POTUS.  He couldn’t very well oppose them. 

POTUS enforces sanctions....that's why/how Canada (weakest link) now finds itself at political war with China.

3 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

The inevitable collapse in of itself is the threat vector, in that you can only go to the well so many times and get Mikhail Gorbachev and One World Kumbaya, at any roll of the dice however, it could result in escalatory spiral to the breach of insensate spasm, see; Herman Kahn,

Not the USA's first rodeo with an unstable and dangerous Russia post October Revolution....President Wilson sent expeditionary forces to Russia in 1918.

3 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

POTUS enforces sanctions....that's why/how Canada (weakest link) now finds itself at political war with China.

It would be wise for the US to take advantage of this situation as China reveals its kangaroo courts and political detentions and the US launches its trade war.  I actually don’t think Trump will do much for a while. He’s mired in domestic opposition.  Canada can only win any political war with China because our courts are independent and human rights are respected.  Trump is playing a petty political game with foreign governments that don’t share his amoral strong arm form of populism.  He’d prefer if we were fascist rather than progressive. 

6 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Not the USA's first rodeo with an unstable and dangerous Russia post October Revolution....President Wilson sent expeditionary forces to Russia in 1918.

The Empire of Liberty continues to relentlessly pursue a viable conterforce option to acceptable causalities as contingency for said eventuality, de facto if not de jure

Otherwise known as Full Spectrum Dominance.

Edited by Dougie93

3 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

It would be wise for the US to take advantage of this situation as China reveals its kangaroo courts and political detentions and the US launches its trade war.  I actually don’t think Trump will do much for a while. He’s mired in domestic opposition.  Canada can only win any political war with China because our courts are independent and human rights are respected.  Trump is playing a petty political game with foreign governments that don’t share his amoral strong arm form of populism.  He’d prefer if we were fascist rather than progressive. 

Canada is now the weakest link....for all the world to see.   Trump cannot save Canada from Trudeau, but he has engaged China on trade for tariffs, dumping, IP theft, transshipments, counterfeiting, etc.   Trump is doing exactly what he said he would do with China.

2 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

The Empire of Liberty continues to relentlessly pursue a viable conterforce option to acceptable causalities as contingency for said eventuality, de facto if not de jure

Otherwise known as Full Spectrum Dominance.

Not so much.  China is taking liberties on America’s doorstep, since by your own definition Canada is inside the hegemon’s territory.  Russia has also flexed muscle and has essentially been placated.  I guess that’s our new multi-polar reality.  The trick is to stick to the script on free market democracy and human rights.  Everyone wants that.  It’s apple pie.  China and Russia will get there eventually at the people’s behest, but in the meantime, this nonsense...

5 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Canada is now the weakest link....for all the world to see.   Trump cannot save Canada from Trudeau, but he has engaged China on trade for tariffs, dumping, IP theft, transshipments, counterfeiting, etc.   Trump is doing exactly what he said he would do with China.

No he has not.  China is still making your smartphones.  American companies are helping China do its dirty work, censoring Chinese search engines, handing the blueprints of technology to the “regulator”.