Macron and Trudeau gang up on Trump

turningrite

3 hours ago, Wilber said:

The event ran from the 11th to the 14th and was held in Paris, The two most destructive wars in history were a result of early 20th Century nationalism. France and Russia both suffered bigly, far more than the US. Trump is a douche.

Something is still coming but yesterday they still had 2500 km to go, so who knows what it will look like by the time it gets to the border. So yes it was but it ain't over yet.

So let's throw it all away...remove the borders, allow Honduras to live in our former rumpus room. 

Folks like yourself remind me of that scene from Dr Zhivago where Yuri arrives back to his home to find the Communists had made things so-much-better by making sure everybody lived in misery together. 

"Yes...this a better arrangement, Comrade. More just..."

Edited by DogOnPorch

8 minutes ago, DogOnPorch said:

So let's throw it all away...remove the borders, allow Honduras to live in our former rumpus room. 

Folks like yourself remind me of that scene from Dr Zhivago where Yuri arrives back home to his home to find the Communists had made things so-much-better by making sure everybody lived in misery together. 

Reveal hidden contents

"Yes...this a better arrangement, Comrade. More just..."

Show me where I have called for open borders. I've said several times that how the US manages its borders is its business. The fact that Trump and the media have moved on is proof that  he hyped it for the midterms. Maybe it will become a big deal again if and when they get to the border and maybe not.

Edited by Wilber
  • Like 1

Just now, Wilber said:

Show me where I have called for open borders. I've said several times that how the US manages its borders is its business. The fact that Trump and the media have moved on is proof that  he hyped it for the midterms. Maybe it will be come a big deal again if and when they get to the border and maybe not

"There was living space for 13 families in this whole house!"

1 minute ago, cannuck said:

Let's boil this down to the fundamentals:  the Euro-weenies keep shitting in their own nest and the rest of their colonies - Yanks included - have to step in and clean up their mess.

Macron has no high ground to snipe at Trump.

At Trump yes..at US soldiers who died, no. Big diff.

3 minutes ago, Rue said:

At Trump yes..at US soldiers who died, no. Big diff.

There is some important symbolism here:  He is their Commander in Chief.  Further, the representative of the state that sent those troops and paid a LOT of the bills to put them back on their feet after WWII.

Edited by cannuck
  • Like 1

But wait, the euros are gonna start their own army - hahaha!  They are overrun with migrants, refuse to pay their debt to NATO and now want to start an army to protect against....the americans - WoW!  I'm sure Trump would love to see NATO disbanded and put the money back into the US military.  This is like a "Little Rascals" episode where alfalfa starts a new club because he and Spanky have a falling out.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Hal 9000 said:

But wait, the euros are gonna start their own army - hahaha!  They are overrun with migrants, refuse to pay their debt to NATO and now want to start an army to protect against....the americans - WoW!  I'm sure Trump would love to see NATO disbanded and put the money back into the US military.  This is like a "Little Rascals" episode where alfalfa starts a new club because he and Spanky have a falling out.  

The Frenchies folded like a house-o-cards when faced with the Americans in battle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Dragoon

"They are using zee real bullets!!!"

25 minutes ago, Hal 9000 said:

Trump wants more resources put into NATO. Europe is seeing Trump as less than a reliable ally and so is looking at how it can operate without relying on the US. Trump senses a loss of influence in Europe and doesn't like the idea.

3 minutes ago, Wilber said:

Trump wants more resources put into NATO. Europe is seeing Trump as less than a reliable ally and so is looking at how it can operate without relying on the US. Trump senses a loss of influence in Europe and doesn't like the idea.

Strategically they can do NOTHING without the US.  Reality is the "threat" is Russia and Yurp just doesn't have the military might to stand as a check to Russia should Uncle Vlad ever want to project his Joe Stalin personna (and that is a REAL possibility).

Just to frame the argument:  Do you know why the French plant Lombardy poplars along the roads in Alsace-Lorraine? - so the German army can march in the shade.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Wilber said:

Oh yeah...France can trust Germany. 100% got their backs...

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Wilber said:

But...you know there is no chance of it happening right?  Say what you will about the US, but they are the world's bodyguard.  If the Euros want to go it alone, I'm sure Trump wont care.  

This is like the Patriots cutting Tom Brady because he asked his linemen to step up.  It's like the members of Maroon 5 kicking out Adam Levine because he offended their senses.  It's a joke!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, cannuck said:

Just to frame the argument:  Do you know why the French plant Lombardy poplars along the roads in Alsace-Lorraine? - so the German army can march in the shade.

Yes indeed. And Germany can go from Weimar to Guderian crossing the Meuse at Sedan at a remarkable speed. 

7 minutes ago, Hal 9000 said:

But...you know there is no chance of it happening right?  Say what you will about the US, but they are the world's bodyguard.  If the Euros want to go it alone, I'm sure Trump wont care.  

This is like the Patriots cutting Tom Brady because he asked his linemen to step up.  It's like the members of Maroon 5 kicking out Adam Levine because he offended their senses.  It's a joke!

Who said they want to go it alone, Trump's threats are making them consider the possibility that they might have to. They see an America that is becoming more isolationist at self absorbed.

13 minutes ago, cannuck said:

Pretty arrogant and ignorant for someone from a country that has never seen a foreign invader on its soil other than the US.

39 minutes ago, Wilber said:

Who said they want to go it alone, Trump's threats are making them consider the possibility that they might have to. They see an America that is becoming more isolationist at self absorbed.

The entire world has a collective freak out because Trump pulls out of the Iran deal, the world constantly asks what Trump is gonna do about Russia, the world expects Trump to solve the North Korea threats, the world expects Trump to remove ISIS and overthrow Syria and what does Trump do?  He says, "sure, but can you guys give a little for the effort" and the euros recoil.  If the US is becoming isolationist, maybe it's because the Euros expect the US to carry the entire load.  And, to add a laugh, their solution is not to deal with any actual crisis, not to pay their share to NATO...No, their solution is to start their own army to protect AGAINST the Americans invading them...really?  They actually think Trump wants anything to do with the mess that Europe has created for themselves?  It's staggering just how stupid these people are.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

France's stance on such matters is not new...when Charles de Gaulle was not feuding with the British for post-WW2 dominance in Europe, he was feuding with the Americans over NATO's role and U.S. troops in France.

In 1966 upon being told that President Charles DeGaulle had taken France out of NATO and that all U.S. troops must be evacuated off of French soil President Lyndon Johnson mentioned to Secretary of State Dean Rusk that he should ask DeGaulle about the Americans buried in France. Dean implied in his answer that that DeGaulle should not really be asked that in the meeting at which point President Johnson then told Secretary of State Dean Rusk:

"Ask him about the cemeteries Dean!"

That made it into a Presidential Order so he had to ask President DeGaulle.

So at end of the meeting Dean did ask DeGaulle if his order to remove all U.S. troops from French soil also included the 60,000+ soldiers buried in France from World War I and World War II.

DeGaulle, embarrassed, got up and left and never answered.”

https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/375563-ask-him-about-the-cemeteries-dean-in-1966-upon-being

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, DogOnPorch said:

Seems on-point, actually.

France's record is a matter of history re: invasion.

It is not the invasions that make me more than a little bit testy about froggy - it was the collaborators.   I may live in Canada, but have spent a LOT of time and have very close friends and business ties to a country that has been overrun by France and Spain a number of times.  I have no respect for them at all. 

BTW:  BC hit it right on the head with his deGaulle/LBJ post.

• Like 1