Why is 9/11 still a big deal?

Why do we continue to hear so much about the 3000 people who died on 9/11?

It's been used by those wanting to encourage war or the re-election of Bush. Maybe that's part of it.

And of course the "liberal" media which has been so accepting and complicit in Bushs actions.

But why should we care? Consider something else in the news these days due to Hollywood....Rwanda.

Over 800,000 dead.....one person every 10 seconds for 100 days. And many of those raped and tortured before death.

That is akin to the Holocost in terms of significance.

Is it because those were black people....is that why we hear nothing about that yet we hear so much about this relatively measly number of deaths on 9/11?

9/11 is still a big deal because....

1) It was one single really big successful attack

2) The WTC was an international icon

3) It was on US soil. 1st time foreigners successfully attacked on the US mainland.

4) It was a multi-pronged assault.

5) It showed how vulnerable we all really are. A terrible wake-up call.

6) It has become the new American rally-cry. I guess "Remember the Alamo" had become outdated.

7) We have so many great images, both video and still-pic, so it's easy to keep re-hasing it and keep it fresh in people's minds.

I'm sure there's lots more reasons.

You've got to be joking right....3000 lives where extiguished in perhaps the largest lost of life in North America due to enemy or terrorist action....some of which were Canadian...and you want to know why is it still news worthy...

Perhaps the question should be why do you hate everything american ?

Rwanda, what did you do for those 100 days ? what did world do for those 100 days....and finally what did Canada do during those 100 days....

The only reason 9/11 is still a big deal is because my president, the guy i did not vote for, the guy that has put this country into the worst state its ever been in; since the civil war, and mislead his own people for his own personal gain has nothing else to run on.

And thats all i have to say about that...

The only reason 9/11 is still a big deal is because my president, the guy i did not vote for, the guy that has put this country into the worst state its ever been in; since the civil war, and mislead his own people for his own personal gain has nothing else to run on.

And thats all i have to say about that...

That's part of it, for sure. Bush and his cohorts have played the fear card over and over and over.

I think rightwing grassroot haters (some of which we see evidenced here) are doing their best to keep it a big deal also. It's become the excuse for their ignorance and complicit agreement of all things Bush

They post pictures of 9/11 and implore us to "never forget".

To bad they forget all of the far larger tragedies that are going on even now. Anyone know what's happening in Congo right now? Who cares, right?

9/11TERRA9/11TERRA9/11TERRA9/11TERRA!!!!!!

It's really pathetic.

Not as pathetic as someone presuming you hate America because you are against Bush. That's REALLY pathetic!

9/11 was a blip, it's time to put it in perspective. Everyday there are a multitude of things that take more life.

Rwanda was far more important than 9/11, and we see similar things happening in that region today. Why doesn't Bush recognize the seriousness of that if he's REALLY interested in freedom and liberty in the world? Why doesn't he chat up the tragedies that are occurring right now? Because he's a faker, he's not motivated by all the fine things he claims to be.

Anticlimates:

Not as pathetic as someone presuming you hate America because you are against Bush. That's REALLY pathetic!

So what does remembering those that died in 9/11 have anything to do with your hate for Bush...by attacking those innocent poeple you attack Bush is that it....

You are Canadian right...the reason i ask is if you are... should you not be asking your questions towards our goverment...

Ringo:

You don't think remembering those 3000 of your own countrymen is worthy of your efforts.

this topic seems completely and totaly unreasonable. why is 9/11 still such a big deal?? this was a public display of national hatred towards america and our current weakness not to mention distrust from our allies. this falls under the same category of why is pearl harbor still such a big deal to our country? every year on december seventh millions of americans pray and remeber this fateful day when we were humiliated in front of the world. we soudl never just simply forget about such a tradegy, over some it mayb, but never let slip our minds.

"Those that forget the pass are doomed to repeat it"

tell that to my cousin who lost her husband in that building, please explain to her why 9/11 didnt matter, by all means explain why your haterd for george w bush led you to believe that those who died in that building dont matter. tell it to there 9 year old son, who cried himself to sleep for a week.

I forgive you, because it wasnt your country and it wasnt your friends or family that died there, its easy to distance yourself from something that didnt effect you directly.

Last time that many americans died, it woke up a sleeping giant, it forever effected the way of american life, and the global community. america went from a basically isolationist country to a world wide player because the country of japan attacked our fleet in pearl harbor. it lead for america to basically fight a two front war, one of whcih lead to the death of millions of soldiers in europe and millions more in the pacific. It changed the world as we know it.

Now ask yourself again, why do we still talk about 9/11?

Lots of people responding aren't understanding me.

I'm saying it's a bigger deal than it should be.

Yes, there was much pain associated with it and America was shocked out of relative security it's enjoyed for it's entire existence.

Relative to the rest of the WORLD though, it's not such a big deal. It's a blip. It's nothing, and people need to get over it. Educate yourselves about all of the death that is ongoing.

Sure, don't forget 9/11. Honor the dead and care for the living.

BUT....9/11 needs to be removed as a central priority that drives the bulk of US foreign and domestic policy. It's not as important as Americans think it is.

Nobody can deny that 9/11 was played up by the American government for election reasons. Anyone that would is a liar.

Sitka Loche posted:

this was a public display of national hatred towards america and our current weakness not to mention distrust from our allies.

I find this statement interesting. The US enjoyed symapthy and support after 9/11 from virtually every country in the world, there were a few notable exceptions, mostly all Muslim countries. This country, Canada, endangered itself by taking hundreds of flights in.

George Bush swaggered in like a two bit cowboy and turned ALOT of people against him, and what he thought the appropriate responses would be (although I will say that most everyone supports the action in Afghanistan) There was no mistrust amongst the American allies until the Administration there started to do things worthy of mistrust.

As far as its importance goes, it is one of those times in our history that will go down as one of the darkest. Not because of how many people died, but because of how many innocent people died.

ModerateAmerican:

america went from a basically isolationist country to a world wide player because the country of japan attacked our fleet in pearl harbor.

I disagree with this statement but will agree that the US no longers finds itself as isolated from attack. I wouldn't be surprised if because of what has occured in Iraq that it doesn't find itself targeted again sooner rather than later.

Its an odd thing that an Administrations actions or policies can incite the kind of hatred that would cause people to attack like those guilty of the actions on 9/11. You'd think that an Administration would be more careful not to incite those people further.

Please go on and tell me how Bush has freed the people of Iraq (one of the most Westernized Muslim Countries) and Afghanistan (one of the poorest). Thats the argument that ususally follows mine. Let me say though, I agree that Saddam had to be removed at some point, but it should have been done via the UN which would have added some legitamacy.

All you righties can jump on that now.

9/11 is such a big deal because it was a pivital point in American history. It sparked the war in the Middle East, and showed that terrorists will risk the lives of thousands of innocent Americans to shopw their hatred toward our President instead of using the media or some other source to express their hatred

Every one seems to have forgotten the home terrorist sthat attack innocents in Oklahoma. Is this Iraqi invasion going to send back more veterans with twisted minds.

9/11 was a major tragedy and completely ruthless and horrifying. The USA should not forget that all the terrorist attacks in the USA were not all done by foreigners. Remember the anthrax deaths that killed indiscriminately are believed to have been done by an American.

The USA should, also, realize that invading a country based on lies, forgeries and fraud is not the way to make the USA safer from terrorist attacks. I think the result of this ill advised invasion will have the opposite effect. It has, already, caused many unstable countries to declare that they will or have developed nuclear capabilities. It is their only weapon against being attacked by the USA

Go to New York. See the sight. I did and then this stupid topic on why is it still important will not be brought up again.

The people that died that day touched many of us personally and that is the difference compared to an attack in a far off land.

9/11 was a blip, it's time to put it in perspective. Everyday there are a multitude of things that take more life.

Rwanda was far more important than 9/11, and we see similar things happening in that region today. Why doesn't Bush recognize the seriousness of that if he's REALLY interested in freedom and liberty in the world? Why doesn't he chat up the tragedies that are occurring right now? Because he's a faker, he's not motivated by all the fine things he claims to be.

Why was Rwanda more important than 9/11 to Americans? IOW, why should America feel more sorrow for any of the tragedies around the world today, then their own disater? Why don't you appear to paint the rest of the first world with the same brush?

As for the tragedies that are occurring right now, they are talking about them.......Powell called a spade a spade when he spoke of the genocide taking place in the Sudan, well the UN refused to call it that. Or look at the FRY, how many Muslims, were being slaughtered by Serbs, well the UN looked on? It wasn't untill the American led effort in Kosovo that this subsided.

I find it funny how some condem the United States for the actions it takes almost as much as the actions it doesn't take........they are truely damned if they do, and damned if they don't.

I'm saying it's a bigger deal than it should be.

Why do you fault Americans for caring for their own first?

If a Canadian city was faced with such a disaster, do you not think most Canadians would become self absorbed in it?

Relative to the rest of the WORLD though, it's not such a big deal. It's a blip. It's nothing, and people need to get over it. Educate yourselves about all of the death that is ongoing.

Sure, don't forget 9/11. Honor the dead and care for the living.

BUT....9/11 needs to be removed as a central priority that drives the bulk of US foreign and domestic policy. It's not as important as Americans think it is.

Nobody can deny that 9/11 was played up by the American government for election reasons. Anyone that would is a liar.

Thats absurd.........What country(ies) would choose to base their Domestic and Foregin policy on a tragedy another nation faced, over a tragedy that was inflicted on themselves first?

With your line of thinking, rape victims should be told to "buck-up" because they were not murdered.

It's my opinion that 9/11 is being used both as a distraction and an excuse for abuse of power.

It's not purely about such a huge tragedy. Each year, between 90,000 and 140,000 Americans die due to medical or pharmaceutical negligence or malpractice. At the high end of that scale, that's the equivalent of a 9/11 almost every week. But what action is being taken about this? Is it anything like the kind of action that has been taken in response to 9/11?

I also think that the federal government has used 9/11 as an excuse to concentrate even more power in its own hands. This process has been going on since Lincoln trampled states' rights and made the USA far more Washington-centric. FDR also made big steps in this direction and GWB is too, with the Patriot Act. With every war the USA fights and "national crisis" it suffers, the government gets larger and the feds get more powerful.

Go to New York. See the sight. I did and then this stupid topic on why is it still important will not be brought up again.
I agree Willy.
It's not purely about such a huge tragedy. Each year, between 90,000 and 140,000 Americans die due to medical or pharmaceutical negligence or malpractice. At the high end of that scale, that's the equivalent of a 9/11 almost every week. But what action is being taken about this? Is it anything like the kind of action that has been taken in response to 9/11?
Hugo, in fact it is. Private individuals every day across the US worry and take various precautions to prevent medical accidents.

The entity best placed to prevent WTC/Pentagon type attacks is the government. Indeed, it is one good reason to have a government.

I think too that people understand that this attack is the first indication of a much greater threat. It is wise to confront it now rather than later.

The entity best placed to prevent WTC/Pentagon type attacks is the government. Indeed, it is one good reason to have a government.

Well, actually the reason for that type of attack is the government! Terrorism is overwhelmingly conducted as a response to a governmental policy. I'm not aware of any terrorists proclaiming a strategy against individuals or business entities, are you?

Government agencies and armies may protect individuals, but as far as I see it their primary purpose is to protect the existence of the state. The army and other agencies have been used many times to protect the state against its own citizens (for example, Kent State, Waco, or most notably, the Civil War), and the FBI and police forces spend a good deal of time enforcing the various monopolies enjoyed by the state.

Hugo, in fact it is. Private individuals every day across the US worry and take various precautions to prevent medical accidents.

Evidently it isn't working, and perhaps because the state is not interested in doing anything to fix this. They have already signed the US healthcare industry over to a monopolised cartel (the AMA). The medical industry is already massively regulated, but a lot of those regulations are aimed at preserving monopoly rather than protecting consumers.

But what precautions can you take? These are deaths that occur because a doctor prescribed or a nurse administered the wrong drug, for instance. How does one take "various precautions" against this kind of malpractice?

Anticlimates:

This is not about the world it is about the USA, and the 3000 of thier country men how perished in a single day...something that has not happen since WWII...it is a major moment in thier history...you've chosen a poor example to bash bush....

Say's who ? you....your just one person with a hard on for the bush adminstration....or the next one or the next one...you need to get a life....instead of runnig around the niebourhood in your underwear shouting the US is coming to get me...there in my mind ....help me...

This is not about the world it is about the USA, and the 3000 of thier country men how perished in a single day...

So then you agree. Relatively speaking, 9/11 is not such a big deal.

BTW, there were non-Americans who died that day.

It's time to stop exploiting it. It's no longer a valid excuse for poor dedisions.

It's my opinion that 9/11 is being used both as a distraction and an excuse for abuse of power.

Amen to that.

I would also add it's an excuse for piss-poor foreign policy. Now we're watching nuclear proliferation begin again. Why? Because Bush feels America is "threatened" by ballistic missiles.

Again...another "threat", and what does he do to support his reaction? He cites 9/11 as an example of what happens when we ignore gathering threats. Duh.

Dear Army Guy,

Hugo hits the nail on the head with this one.

Well, actually the reason for that type of attack is the government! Terrorism is overwhelmingly conducted as a response to a governmental policy. I'm not aware of any terrorists proclaiming a strategy against individuals or business entities, are you?
The Bush Admin (Cheney, Wolfowitz, Perle, Rice, etc) are lying to the American public, and the world, when they say "They [terrorists] hate our freedoms and democracy, and this is why they attack us". As to the scale of the 9/11 attacks, they were actually very minor. The deaths, of course, are a tragedy, but what is worse is it being hijacked and used to further an agenda that caused them in the first place.

A quote from the book Future:Tense, (2004) by Gwynne Dyer, pg 134.

"I expected to go back to a round of meetings[on September 12, 2001] examining what the next attacks could be, what our vulnerabilities were, what we could do about them in the short term. Instead, I walked into a series of discussions about Iraq. At first I was incredulous that we were talking about something other than getting at al Qaeda. Then I realized with almost a sharp physical pain that Rumsfeld and Wolfowitz were going to try to take advantage of this national tragedy to promote their agenda about Iraq." -Richard A. Clarke, Former White House counter-terrorism chief, from his book Against All Enemies (2004)
Was 9/11 a tragedy? You bet, to most. But to the ones who keep reminding everyone about it, they said "Yippee! Now we have our excuse to go after Iraq!"

"Yippee! Now we have our excuse to go after Iraq!"

Don't forget that the administration was also given the excuse to fight Al-Qaida. Afghanistan was of course invaded before Iraq in order to capture Bin Laden. Although Bin Laden himself remains at large, more than 75% of the Al-Qaida operatives identified for arrest on 9/11 have been captured.

"They [terrorists] hate our freedoms and democracy, and this is why they attack us"

Well, at least some terrorists hate democracy.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/meast/01/23/iraq.main/

The USA should not forget that all the terrorist attacks in the USA were not all done by foreigners.

Plenty of American citizens have been arrested and successfully prosecuted under domestic antiterrorism legislation, such as the Patriot Act. The recently created Department of Homeland Security, as well as of course the FBI, are continuously gathering intelligence on or arresting American citizens suspected of violating laws that prohibit homocide within the United States.

I'm not aware of any terrorists proclaiming a strategy against individuals or business entities, are you?

The Earth Liberation Front, Squamish Five, and many other radical leftist terrorists largely target or targeted corporations and individuals. Of course, all terrorists are responding to something or other that they don't like.

Now we're watching nuclear proliferation begin again. Why? Because Bush feels America is "threatened" by ballistic missiles.

Bush's missile defensive program, as controversial as it is, is purely for defense purposes. I certainly hope one doesn't automatically sponsor nuclear proliferation simply by attempting to create an innovative method of defending oneself from a foreign attack.

Keep in mind that Canada has also in the past taken drastic measures to fight terrorism. The FLQ crisis only resulted in a few deaths yet it prompted Trudeau to temporarily turn his cabinet into a virtual dictatorship. He sent troops and tanks into Quebec and rounded up thousands of Quebecers who were obviously innocent of any crime and held them for in some cases several months. If we're going to measure the significance of an event simply by the death toll, then the 9/11 attacks deserve a response that is approximately 1000 times what Trudeau did in 1970 (since the FLQ only killed about 3 people).

Dear TokyoTakarazuka,

Don't forget that the administration was also given the excuse to fight Al-Qaida.
Actually, world opinion was in favour of the US going after the Taliban, though no UN resolution gave them the authority, at the time, to do so. However, no one really could blame them for it, unlike Iraq. The wording should be 'only', not 'also' in your above statement.
Well, at least some terrorists hate democracy.
Yes, some terrorists hate democracy, and the US, etc. but they do not hate America's democracy, for I'm sure I have never read a story about an 'arab terrorist' ranting about the Ohio Primaries, or local school councils. They rebel against democracy imposed upon them at the end of a gun, when for many, that is in direct violation of their interpretation of scripture.
Of course, all terrorists are responding to something or other that they don't like.
Too true. However, the line of what constitutes terrorism gets blurred consistently and continuously.
Bush's missile defensive program, as controversial as it is, is purely for defense purposes. I certainly hope one doesn't automatically sponsor nuclear proliferation simply by attempting to create an innovative method of defending oneself from a foreign attack.
That is a key ingredient to an arms race. If someone has the capability to counter what you have, then you have to either find a way around it or have the means to flood it.

Guest eureka

Trudeau's invocationof the War Measures Act is not analogous to the current political culture. It was an act under existing law to deal with an "apprehended insurrection." No new laws were passed suspending certain liberties permanently. What is happening now cannot be excused by comparisons. There is now a legal regime of suppression of certain freedoms. most particularly in the nation that boasts (without justification) that it is the beacon for democracy and freedom.

To say that 75% of Al Quaeda operatives have been caught - I know you said of those who were identified - is naive, at best. It is certain that only a relative handful have actually been caught. 75% means only that not many were identified and it has been widely reported that the number of Al Quaeda operatives has grown substantially since the attack on Iraq.

I had thought of bringing up the domestic terrorists but decided not to since their causes are radically different from the brand of international terrorism that we are facing. So different that they really should be designated with different names. They are, also, not all radical leftists. Some are on the right, if they are anywhere on a political continuum.

All missile programs are, ostensibly, for defensive purposes: even the first use was defensive and a technological advance in weaponry used in defense against aggressors.

That does not alter the dangers of further development and proliferation. New programs must, inevitably, lead to counter measures by those who are being called a potential threat. They lead inexorably to greater risks of miscalculation and proliferation.

I think that the 'excuse' Bush needed to attack Iraq was when Saddam expelled the weapons inspectors in 1998. President Clinton stated that year that, “The international community gave Saddam one last chance to resume co-operation with the weapons inspectors. Saddam has failed to seize the chance.” He also said that, "The best way to end that threat once and for all is with a new Iraqi government." Therefore, he signed the Iraqi Liberation Act, which effectively made it the official policy of the United States to seek the removal of Saddam Hussein. This Act probably assisted Bush's invasion more than any other single factor.

There is now a legal regime of suppression of certain freedoms.

This statement is probably true of Canada also. Although I don't know all the details of antiterrorism legislation passed since 9/11, I was reading an article on Ernst Zundel by "By BETH DUFF-BROWN, Associated Press" when I read this...

"A Canadian law, passed after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks in the United States, allows the government to hold terrorism suspects without charge, based on secret evidence that does not have to be disclosed to a suspect or his defense."

That doesn't seem much better than the Patriot Act to me.