Ottawa's secret consultations on racism

According to a report published in the G&M, Ottawa has commenced a secretive consultation on racism, hoping to avoid any public backlash that might emerge if Canadians were permitted to openly debate the topic. This suggests that insiders, presumably heavily represented by advocates and lobbyists from the funded identity and "diversity" industry will have the field to themselves to convince the government that Canadians are truly and hopelessly racist. Meanwhile, international studies and comparisons actually identify Canada as being among the world's most tolerant countries. Reportedly, the advocates are already complaining that the concept of "systemic" racism has been taken off the table by the government. The notion of a hidden hand in racism must presumably be permitted to reflect their 'a priori' logic.

Is this consultation really necessary or is it simply a prelude to more socioeconomic interference and virtue-signalling on the part of progressives as well as a government that's already heavily invested in the identity-politics game?

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/politics/article-ottawa-holds-consultations-on-racism-behind-closed-doors/

59 minutes ago, dialamah said:

Gosh, if only Canadians could "debate", rather than sticking to polarized, predetermined positions unaffected by reason, evidence, facts or rational thought.

That would be the best way to go.  I daresay the government doesn't see it that way.

1 hour ago, dialamah said:

Gosh, if only Canadians could "debate", rather than sticking to polarized, predetermined positions unaffected by reason, evidence, facts or rational thought.

Of course, one has to assume the Trudeau government is only interested in hearing polarized, predetermined positions that are unaffected by reason, evidence, facts or rational thought, provided they bolster the government's predetermined positions and its identity politics approach to campaigning and policy. It looks like this "consultation" will be conducted within an echo chamber, a fact utterly consistent with the government's general approach to such issues. One side of the debate only, please!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, turningrite said:

Of course, one has to assume the Trudeau government is only interested in hearing polarized, predetermined positions that are unaffected by reason, evidence, facts or rational thought, provided they bolster the government's predetermined positions and its identity politics approach to campaigning and policy. It looks like this "consultation" will be conducted within an echo chamber, a fact utterly consistent with the government's general approach to such issues. One side of the debate only, please!

Tell me, of what use is "public debate"?  A bunch of media talking heads on CBC, Global, Globe and Mail, National Post, etc, being rejected by ~30% of the population because they're "Liberal supporters"?   Refusal by the same demographic to trust studies by experts or academics, preferring to use questionable sources and unverified claims  to declare the experts liars?  People on social media or political forums arguing their partisanship and throwing insults to anyone who fails to take their opinion as "absolute truth"?

Public "debate", what a joke. 

Consultation with people who know what they are talking about seems like a good idea to me.  The only people who object to this are those who have made up their minds that racism is non-existent in Canada, or that only white people are discriminated against because "diversity" and "White Liberal Guilt".

5 minutes ago, dialamah said:

Tell me, of what use is "public debate"?  A bunch of media talking heads on CBC, Global, Globe and Mail, National Post, etc, being rejected by ~30% of the population because they're "Liberal supporters"?   Refusal by the same demographic to trust studies by experts or academics, preferring to use questionable sources and unverified claims  to declare the experts liars?  People on social media or political forums arguing their partisanship and throwing insults to anyone who fails to take their opinion as "absolute truth"?

Consultation with people who know what they are talking about seems like a good idea to me.  The only people who object to this are those who have made up their minds that racism is non-existent in Canada, or that only white people are discriminated against because "diversity" and "White Liberal Guilt".

Ah, so that's what you mean by polarized, predetermined positions unaffected by reason, evidence, facts or rational thought. 

I suspect you feel the same way about people who have made up their minds that racism is non-existent in Canada, or that only white people are discriminated against because "diversity" and "White Liberal Guilt".

Consultation with people who know what they are talking about seems like a good idea to me.

Consultation with people (i.e. constituencies) who are already convinced of the virtues and benefits of promoting their own sense of victimhood seems more likely to me. What is the point of the process if it only confirms for the government its wisdom in catering to these beliefs? The potential outcome, however, is that it will likely only serve to substantiate the opinion held by Maxime Bernier that the Trudeau government is engaged in an exercise of "extreme" diversity and multiculturalism that negates the positive attributes of Canadian society and promotes increasing socioeconomic interference and tension. Wow, unity in division appears to be the progressives' version of nirvana - well, until the whole enterprise eventually backfires.

Edited by turningrite
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, dialamah said:

People who claim to be experts on racism means what exactly> How does someone with some academic degree or a presumption in their mind they are experts, become an expert on racism? The very notion is idiotic. Racism? All the isms  are what exactly? They are part of life we are all aware of and have to deal with. Since when do we need to have some individuals who claim to be experts tell us the isms exist. Did you need to be told that?  You think its a good idea that people who know what they are talking about need to be consulted? Really? Who decides they know what they are talking about and why because you think its a good idea, others who do not are denying racism exists as you suggested? I don't deny isms exist but I sure as hell do not need some pretentious elitist snot nosed academics lecturing me on it and getting paid for that exercise.

Can you give this Jew a break. I never met anyone at anytime who had anything remotely related to a good idea talk to me let alone consult with me over anti-Semitism and the last thing I want is some pretentious liberal leftist telling me because I am a Zionist I am  a racist or  presume to tell me what it feels like or what should be done about anti-semites.  Actions not words. I have a Prime Minister and a government that created a holocaust memorial and didn't even have the decency to put a plague on it or say in the opening speech 6 million Jews died. Ooops it slipped their mind. Save your experts, and taxpayers money telling me what they think they know. In fact I am now telling them directly through you SHADDUP. Save your lectures. Its a bunch of bullshit make work for Liberals. Its classic Trudeau trendy leftism.

Can you get real. A bunch of elitist, sheltered snot nosed academics telling me what discrimination is-is a crock. It does nothing and has done nothing for me as a minority and I am an expert on what it feels like to read anti-Semitic crap on this board disguised by leftists as anti Zionism.  Save it. Been there done that. No talk from a bunch of snot noses  will get me in a specific golf course nor do I want to play golf. Don't use my minority status and the fact people do not like me as an excuse, a pretense, a cover, for elitist leftists to pander for ethnic votes and verbally masterbate.

No matter who has been charged no Jew has been given affirmative action in our favour nor have we asked for it. We have survived the way every minority has in this country, by over-coming on an individual level that which we found to be an obstacle.  The only thing to come out of ISM talks is affirmative action which simply changes who is being discriminated against. Thanks but we Jews are the target of discrimination by lefitist and rightist extremists equally. Y'all look the same and sound the same. Come on my lawn, I will be prepared. I certainly don't need some snot face to tell me how to deal with Taxme or Marcus on this forum thank you. I will handle it.

Shalom, and then some. Any time you want a bagel and lox ask. In my house you are welcome and respected. I need no liberal to tell me that.

Edited by Rue

3 hours ago, Rue said:

No matter who has been charged no Jew has been given affirmative action in our favour nor have we asked for it. We have survived the way every minority has in this country, by over-coming on an individual level that which we found to be an obstacle. 

A good friend of mine who is Chinese raises exactly the same point. He says the Chinese in Canada (and elsewhere) can and generally do quite well without interventionist assistance but also sardonically notes that if governments are offering preferential treatment to minorities his community will generally and quietly accept the unnecessary boost. It's telling when lobby groups like BLM note that racism impacts them differently than it does other groups, which appears to be an admission that members of some groups succeed quite well despite facing some degree of racism while others don't. It tends to undermine the bizarre notion that a blanketing form of "systemic" racism is at the root of the problem. In fact, racism exists everywhere, and likely to a lesser extent here than in many other places. Adaptation and integration have never been seamless processes for minority groups throughout this country's history, which renders it bizarre as to why some figure the situation today is different or any worse than it was in the past.

Edited by turningrite
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, dialamah said:

I just sent an emotional support squirrel to your back yard. Free of charge. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, turningrite said:

Please elaborate. Drive-by insinuations hardly contribute to rational debate, after all. Or are you just dog-whistling?

The article refers to a consultation that you all believe to be an echo chamber.  This thread is another echo chamber.

Everyone knows how to echo, nobody knows how to engage.

18 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

The article refers to a consultation that you all believe to be an echo chamber.  This thread is another echo chamber.

Well, as these consultations are invitation only and the invitees are undisclosed, it's not surprising people would have that suspicion. I do.

• Like 1

Sent it back; you need it far more than I do with you anxiety over minorities, the government and White guy persecution.

Who said I have minority anxiety, or white guy persecution anxiety? I’m not the one pulling out my hair in anticipation of other people’s posts. “Ooh they’re not going to gobble up everything they read. What's wrong with them? How do they formulate opinions without the guidance of CNN or the CBC?”

5 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

Well go on then...

6 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

Then lead by example Saint Michael. You just engaged in the same thing you accuse others of. But hey why point that out.

2 hours ago, Satanic Trudeau said:

Well I am here to stir the Trudeau pot.

DoRprPRWsAA4y_K?format=jpg

Start another thread whether that is truly a Sanatic hand gesture or him simply drying nails after a manicure. As for this thread with all due respect, its about whether we should spend time and taxpayer money for a bunch of snot nosed self proclaimed experts to discuss racism.  In regards to Satanism I know Paris Hilton and Lindsay Lohan personally. They both have had my spawn. Its too late to save humanity from us. We shapeshift everywhere dude. Why just last week people mistook me for a large lizard. Now the legalization of pot. I will for sure be mistaken as an alligator. I look like  Ted Cruz....green and jello like.

Edited by Rue
  • Like 2