Saudi Arabia expells Canadian ambassador

Yes they can.  You're still promoting persecution of a group for their beliefs.  Many of the countries in the Middle East were formed around Islam, to the extent that religion, for better or worse, has been tied to race, much as there is a complicated mix of race and religion for Jews.  Don't paint all Muslims with the extremist brush.  It's fair to discuss whether hate is embedded in a religion, but it's not fair to persecute all people who call themselves Muslim, which is what Trump attempted to do.

Edited by Zeitgeist

Did Trudeau and Freeland actually seek U.S. backup for their mistake ?     Seriously ?

On Tuesday, a U.S. State Department spokeswoman, speaking at a media briefing in Washington, would not publicly condemn Riyadh’s arrest of civil-rights activists in the Mideast kingdom, as the Canadian government did last week. Heather Nauert said it is up to Canada and Saudi Arabia to resolve their differences. “We can’t do it for them,” she said.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/politics/article-us-sidesteps-getting-involved-in-escalating-saudi-canada-dispute/

1 minute ago, Zeitgeist said:

Yes they can.  You're still promoting persecution of a group for their beliefs.  Many of the countries in the Middle East were formed around Islam, to the extent that religion, for better or worse, has been tied to race, much as there is a complicated mix of race and religion for Jews.

All monotheistic religions are from the SAME DESERT...dude. Christianity...Judaism and your beloved Islam. Religions are NOT races. Plenty of Arabs are not Muslim.

Islam is pretty much like Nazism with robes and beards rather than jack boots and rottweilers. Both seek world domination...hate Jews... and cause wars.

2 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

Yup, no support from the U.S. on an important human rights concern that impacts all "freedom loving people."  It's hard to see values in U.S. policy these days beyond the almighty dollar.

It is not an important human rights issue...it is political grandstanding by Trudeau and Freeland that has blown back into their faces.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, bush_cheney2004 said:

It is not an important human rights issue...it is political grandstanding by Trudeau and Freeland that has blown back into their faces.

100%

Now they're looking for friends to step in the same pile...in the spirit of comradeship...and such.

Please...? The pile is right over here...

8 hours ago, betsy said:

First of all, they are not Trump.  Unless they can deal with retaliations - they shouldn't be tweeting any issues that should be discussed DIPLOMATICALLY.

Maybe Trump should stop tweeting then. And don't bitch when others do the same as trump and complain it is copycatting. I mean don't you WANT other leaders to act like Trump? Would that not be a good thing in your view?

1 hour ago, Argus said:

That isn't going to happen. There is no way the Liberals, given their virtue signalling and sanctimonious puffery about gender equaltity, could possibly apologize for protesting against the unwarranted arrest of female rights advocates.

And the Saudis are vermin anyway, and certainly deserve no apology.

I don't agree with you on much, but I will back you on this. Fuck the Saudis.  We don't need them.

2 minutes ago, GostHacked said:

I don't agree with you on much, but I will back you on this. Fuck the Saudis.  We don't need them.

If JT kicks out all the Saudi funded and manned mosques...I'll believe he actually cares about human rights under Islam.

We'll see...eh?

36 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

bush_cheney2004, you know as well as I do that you will criticize Trudeau/Freeland no matter how great or how little the Twitter messaging because you are ideologically opposed to them and refuse to see anything of value.  It's the same attitude that has polarized the U.S. into two tribes that simply oppose and cancel anything the other side does, right or wrong.  Also, this isn't about Trudeau/Freeland; it's about Canada.  Recognize when Canada is in the right, or do you hate Canada?  Believe it or not, standing up against Wahhabism and other forms of extremism and oppression is in U.S.'s interest. 

CDS

1 minute ago, DogOnPorch said:

If JT kicks out all the Saudi funded and manned mosques...I'll believe he actually cares about human rights under Islam.

We'll see...eh?

If that's the case, then I am fine with it.  But even when I agree with you, you'd still find a way to say the argument I am putting forth is wrong.  Amazing tactics Doggy.

6 minutes ago, GostHacked said:

If that's the case, then I am fine with it.  But even when I agree with you, you'd still find a way to say the argument I am putting forth is wrong.  Amazing tactics Doggy.

It's no reflection upon you.

My point is that Canada allows the same hatred that detains activists in KSA to be preached right here in Canada...and I doubt JT plans on removing them. 

Edited by DogOnPorch
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, DogOnPorch said:

It's no reflection upon you.

My point is that Canada allows the same hatred that detains activists in KSA to be preached right here in Canada...and I doubt JT plans on removing them. 

As you know I've been bitching about the Saudis for a long time here. And if they want to leave, I'll be there to wave bye bye,  We should not be dealing with the likes of Saudi Arabia anyways, and I glad that this is taking place.  I will agree and say he won't get rid of the specific mosques backed by Saudis. But perhaps we should, as I may be able to trust Muslims in general, I do not trust the Saudi's one bit.

1 minute ago, GostHacked said:

As you know I've been bitching about the Saudis for a long time here. And if they want to leave, I'll be there to wave bye bye,  We should not be dealing with the likes of Saudi Arabia anyways, and I glad that this is taking place.  I will agree and say he won't get rid of the specific mosques backed by Saudis. But perhaps we should, as I may be able to trust Muslims in general, I do not trust the Saudi's one bit.

The Liberals were obviously NOT expecting such a visceral reaction to their pandering for #LookingTough votes back in Canada. All the Saudi students in my town are packing their bags and leaving. Most seem very upset but resigned. The Saudi funded mosque remains open for business.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, turningrite said:

There seems to be widespread agreement that the Saudi government is utilizing what it believes to be our government's grandstanding on (Western) human rights to bully the rest of the West into compliance with the notion of Islamic exceptionalism. And, so far, the Saudis appear to be succeeding. My question is whether our government had any intention of becoming a whipping boy in this context or whether Freeland and Trudeau have fallen into this by mistake? If Freeland backs away from her stance, the government's international human rights strategy (i.e. "they're evolving") and its mantra of inherently reconcilable values will be exposed as shams. I don't think the 'sunny ways' approach will accomplish much here. But the question remains as to whether the government had or has any idea what it's gotten into here?

Apparently, UK commented on Saudi's human rights issue, too -  like, sort of backing up Canada  - but looks like Saudi ignores UK - and keeps her focus on Canada.  Yep.  They're grandstanding.

I think Freeland and Trudeau had fallen into this by mistake.   Trudeau is under the mistaken notion that "he's popular" among other western leaders (especially in Europe).    It is my impression that the G7 meeting resulted in that failure due to the fact that Trudeau was led on by Macron.  He ended up becoming Trump's whipping boy because of that.  His "pack" mentality - "strength in numbers"  - failed him miserably.    Trudeau is a weakling.

Where are his buddies now?  Who's watching his back?  No one.  He's on his own on this one.  This is not the movies.  This is reality.  All leaders will be putting their country's best interest above all else  -and that's how it ought to be.

They both ended up buying into the Canadian media spin about themselves.  Remember how Freeland was lauded for the NAFTA negotiations?  I thought that she's level-headed, too - but this changed my opinion of her.  She seems so.......amateurish.

Edited by betsy

2 minutes ago, DogOnPorch said:

The Liberals were obviously NOT expecting such a visceral reaction to their pandering for #LookingTough votes back in Canada. All the Saudi students in my town are packing their bags and leaving. Most seem very upset but resigned. The Saudi funded mosque remains open for business.

And does that not make you happy that you may be getting part of your wish with kicking Muslims out of Canada?

Just now, GostHacked said:

And does that not make you happy that you may be getting part of your wish with kicking Muslims out of Canada?

Liar.

You're free to show me where...all my words on this website are preserved for you to quote.

11 minutes ago, DogOnPorch said:

International students really do a lot of good for the economy.  My kids (and their friends next door) had kept a local restaurant in business!  They do a lot of shopping, too.  They take the taxi practically everyday.  For a small city that has only one small taxi company, that's really good.

Edited by betsy
  • Like 1