Who will win World Cup Soccer in Russia?

8 minutes ago, capricorn said:

Winning is winning, whichever way you look at it.

England did not deseved to be among 8 qualifying. Better teams like Spain, Portugal, Iran, Japan, Germany eliminated. They were in a weak group and they qualified as second in group then they had to play against a relatively weak Colombia and they won the latter as I said by pure luck. They did not deserve it.

1 minute ago, CITIZEN_2015 said:

England did not deseved to be among 8 qualifying. Better teams like Spain, Portugal, Iran, Japan, Germany eliminated. They were in a weak group and they qualified as second in group then they had to play against a relatively weak Colombia and they won the latter as I said by pure luck. They did not deserve it.

Who said sporting events are fair. Some days you're on, some days you're off. My team won so all is good. Tomorrow is another day.

2 minutes ago, capricorn said:

Who said sporting events are fair. Some days you're on, some days you're off. My team won so all is good. Tomorrow is another day.

England will be defeated in the next game for sure. It is a weak team. They were able to qualify for top 8 out of pure luck but no way they will qualify for top 4 even with luck.

12 minutes ago, CITIZEN_2015 said:

https://www.mapleleafweb.com/forums/topic/27692-who-will-win-world-cup-soccer-in-russia/?do=findComment&comment=1297000

1 hour ago, capricorn said:

We shall see, won't we?

Yeah, looking at it seriously, England were the better team for the first 90 minutes and took the better penalties.  There really is no reason now that England cannot get to the final.  Of course then it's probably France or Brazil.

2 hours ago, CITIZEN_2015 said:

England will be defeated in the next game for sure. It is a weak team. They were able to qualify for top 8 out of pure luck but no way they will qualify for top 4 even with luck.

I agree it's very unlikely they will go all the way. Very unlikely. Today they just squeaked by. Especially when I saw what Brazil is capable of doing, that is a whole other level of play.

52 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

I agree it's very unlikely they will go all the way. Very unlikely. Today they just squeaked by. Especially when I saw what Brazil is capable of doing, that is a whole other level of play.

But surely with Neymar having his leg amputated they will be weaker?

6 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

Not necessarily. He still has one good leg.

Maybe the Belgians will take care of that one.  if they don't, he'll at least make us all think they did.

Edited by bcsapper

19 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

Maybe the Belgians will take care of that one.  if they don't, he'll at least make us all think they did.

Suggest it's always best to keep one's feet well grounded. If one's feet no longer touch the ground while walking, well...

9 hours ago, CITIZEN_2015 said:

To be fair, I watched the Uruguay vs. Portugal game and Uruguay by far were a better team....Their goals will be remembered in this WC amongst others.

9 hours ago, capricorn said:

England’s team has a tendency to become complacent. They sit back once they score a goal. This happens alot in their games. They must change tacts in their next game against Sweden.

As this stage of the WC, I like seeing Brazil in the final. Any predictions who will be in the final?

43 minutes ago, kactus said:

Miracles do happen my friend. Don’t give up hope :lol:

If/ should that be the case I will definitely buy another pint on your behalf and drink to that.

In my defence let me say that I'm a soccer novice. :lol:  There have been notable upsets ie Germany, so perhaps I have a chance.

I like beer. Win or lose, enjoy.

5 hours ago, capricorn said:

I pick France vs England.

That's not a stretch.  Anything can happen of course, but England would be the favourites against Sweden and the winners of Croatia vs Russia.  (As an England fan still reeling from the Iceland game I know that's made of glass)

France are the best team I've seen so far at the WC, and more than capable of seeing off Brazil in the semis, which I think will be the lineup for that game.  (Look for a sending off or two in that game)

20 hours ago, bcsapper said:

That's not a stretch.  Anything can happen of course, but England would be the favourites against Sweden and the winners of Croatia vs Russia.  (As an England fan still reeling from the Iceland game I know that's made of glass)

France are the best team I've seen so far at the WC, and more than capable of seeing off Brazil in the semis, which I think will be the lineup for that game.  (Look for a sending off or two in that game)

Do not underestimate the Swedes! If England continues the complacency tactic (score one and sit back) they have no chance....Best of british to You :)

France vs. Uruguay will be an interesting one. Prediction: Either a tight match with a goal difference or one with too many goals.

2 hours ago, kactus said:

Do not underestimate the Swedes! If England continues the complacency tactic (score one and sit back) they have no chance....Best of british to You :)

France vs. Uruguay will be an interesting one. Prediction: Either a tight match with a goal difference or one with too many goals.

I'm not underestimating them. They are one of our bogey teams.  We always seem to have trouble with them.  Nevertheless I think we will go into the game as favourites.  Of course we went into the Iceland game as favourites too.

Agreed on the tactics.  It's weird, but it seems like taking over the England team turns a manager into a chicken.  We've had some pretty good ones, on paper, but they all do the same thing.  Refuse to take risks to consolodate a lead. It drives a fan mad.

Edited by bcsapper

No doubt tomorrow everyone in Finland will be cheering for England, not because of England, but because they are against Sweden.

Every time when Sweden gets knocked out of the world cup there is joy in Finland and then the Swedes ask how did the Finss do at the world cup.

That's a good question. Sweden has qualified many times and done also well. Finland has never qualified and never will either. Even Canada has qualified once and they will certainly qualify again in eight years time as co-hosts.

24 minutes ago, -TSS- said:

No doubt tomorrow everyone in Finland will be cheering for England, not because of England, but because they are against Sweden.

Like Scotland with England.

All-European semi-finals now once again. It means that most probably Europe will never be overtaken in terms of titles as it was prior to this year 11-9 but will now change to 12-9.

The one-off format gives weak teams like England, Sweden or even Russia a chance. Any of them could win the World Cup even though they’d be handily beaten (in my opinion) by France or Belgium in a seven game series. None of them have a guy like Kevin De Bruyne in their squad. Tested against Brazil, he came out on top. Hazard and Courtois were also exceptional. 

Edited by SpankyMcFarland

On 7/4/2018 at 2:19 PM, bcsapper said:

I expect Croatia to beat Russia despite the home advantage and I would definitely fancy their chances against England or Sweden if they can field their current team. Modric is a superb midfielder and the team plays with great fluency as well as being teak tough. England may well be the betting favourites but hopeful supporters play a role there. For that reason, they have been a good team to bet against for fifty years. 

Edited by SpankyMcFarland