Who will win World Cup Soccer in Russia?

For decades, the Big Four were Brazil, Germany, Argentina and Italy. In recent years, France and then Spain made it to the top table and, of course, Italy aren't even there this time. Germany are always hard to beat even without a superstar striker and Brazil are looking pretty good. Of the dark horses, I would tip Belgium and Portugal for a good run. 

Probably Germany but I don't care, as long as it's a good competition. It would be nice to see a new team come to the foreground. I think Iceland had some chances against Argentina, but they did not finish them. Meanwhile Messi's easy-looking penalty kick was blocked. Goalie Halldorsson was pretty hot.

Well have to admit I was quite surprised to see the Germans defeated by Mexico!!

Apparently, there were reports of mini earthquake in Mexico after the match!

Was pretty impressed by the belgians today playing Panama.

Last I heard was that the russian authorities will stop sales of alcohol during this match (quite rightly so)

With all due respect to english football supporters but some of their football fans have a terrible record of turning into animals after a few pints of beer...

Prediction: England may just pull a win against Tunisia.

To be honest there is nothing special about polish football. They have always been a second/ third class football team in Europe....

Good luck to Iran and team e Meli.

As much as I favour underdogs in the world cup, playing top level European/ South American teams is a different level playing fields. 

This world cup has brought in many surprises so far. For me the introduction of VAR has been very useful in helping referees making the right decision.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, kactus said:

Good luck to Iran and team e Meli.

Team e Meli was a better team in the second half against the 2010 world champion, Spain. It lost the game very unfairly. Iran has the strongest defense of all teams which reminds me of Italy in 1970 world cup. It has issues scoring and when they score  they disallow the goal. Iran achived all these in spite of all external and internal pressures on them like sanctions and anti-Iran islamic regime opposition to the victory by Team e Meli as they hate celebrations and gatherings which bring out the sense of nationalism and proud. Iran will reach semi final in 2022 and will be among the top 3 teams in 2026. 

Edited by CITIZEN_2015

4 minutes ago, CITIZEN_2015 said:

Team e Meli was a better team in the second half against the 2010 world champion, Spain. It lost the game very unfairly. Iran has the strongest defense of all teams which reminds me of Italy in 1970 world cup. It has issues scoring and when they score international poliitics may play a role and they disallow the goal. Iran achived all these in spite of all external and internal pressures on them like sanctions and anti-Iran islamic regime opposition to the victory by Team e Meli as they hate celebrations and gatherings which bring out the sense of nationalism and proud. Iran will reach semi final in 2022 and will be among the top 3 teams in 2026. 

To be fair watching the Iran goal against Spain was an offside. Good lord I may have to retract my comment about VAR as this goal would have been allowed in previous world cups. It was clear from the moment the game started that the strategy for Iranians was to defend and keep the game going for as long as possible. There is a shortfall with this strategy. But in the second half the players believed in their abilities and took a more attacking approach on Soains’s goal post which presented Iran with a number of opportunities for scoring goals. Kudos to the Iranian players....despite the sanction and psychological mind games by media to underplay their efforts they came against all odds and nearly equalised with the world champions Spain.

18 minutes ago, kactus said:

To be fair watching the Iran goal against Spain was an offside. Good lord I may have to retract my comment about VAR as this goal would have been allowed in previous world cups. It was clear from the moment the game started that the strategy for Iranians was to defend and keep the game going for as long as possible. There is a shortfall with this strategy. But in the second half the players believed in their abilities and took a more attacking approach on Soains’s goal post which presented Iran with a number of opportunities for scoring goals. Kudos to the Iranian players....despite the sanction and psychological mind games by media to underplay their efforts they came against all odds and nearly equalised with the world champions Spain.

Yes I agree that they were there for a 0-0 draw. However, what comes out of it now is that they now have to play against Portugal the same way they played against Spain in second half as a 0-0 draw against the European champion would eliminate them. They will only go up to the next level only if they defeat Portugal. They have to do it now. So the next game would be a very exciting game and likely we will see Iran at its best as Iran (the Asian Champion) will come out for blood against Portugal (the European Champion).

Iran should have gone for the win from the start. They had some excellent chances when they went one down. Spain’s big stars still look tired. Must say I was rooting for Morocco in the other Iberian match. Ronaldo excepted, Portugal are a dreary, negative team and a poor ad for soccer esp. after winning the European Championship. I hope they don’t make the last four. 

• Like 1

On 6/21/2018 at 4:33 AM, SpankyMcFarland said:

Iran should have gone for the win from the start. They had some excellent chances when they went one down.

I think given that they were playing world champions the Iranian players had to overcome psychological pressure by playing defensively to mitigate risks od conceding goals against Spain from the start. As the game progressed and specially when they went a goal down they realised they had nothing to lose and everything to gain by takibg a stab at it and attack at the spaniard’s goalpost and so they did. One of my spanish friends tells me he was very impressed with the Iran’s game in second half and admitted that there were times he thought Spain was going to lose...

It is all about self belief and conviction that they can do it. The game with Spain gave Iranians the opportunity to gain that confidence and prove themselves, which probably matters as much as winning a game...

Edited by kactus

Germany versus Sweden - What a game!!!! Germany almost eliminated!!!!

Germany's world cup games are always exciting especially those games that they have to win to survive and this one was no exception. There is a pattern. They concede a goal and they come back from behind after many attacks and failed chances and eventually they win in extra time. In one occasion (Germany versus Italy in 1970) in spite of coming back they lost in extra time. Incredible!!!!. 

Germany 2 Sweden 1 - Well deserved win for Germany.

4 hours ago, bcsapper said:

That goal by Kroos in the 95th minute was heartbreaking.

Not heartbreaking for Germans. I may be biased but I think Germany deserved to win. They played better. For sure Germany deserves to be among the qualifying 16. It would have been heartbreaking if Germany so strong had been eliminated so soon.