Best Trek episodes

I don't bother to watch most of the original Star Trek. It's not as good as its successor spin-offs, imho. But there are a few episodes that are my favorites, that I will actually watch. It was a decent program, and probably thought-provoking at the time.

in no particular order, 14 of my favorites; many of them aren't as watchable as these:

The Naked Time (s1e5)

Mudd's Women (s1e7) Harry Mudd and his subspace-order brides

Balance of Terror (s1e15) basically a remake of some old movie about a US sub duking it out with its Japanese counterpart, I forget the name....Enemy Below?

Shore Leave (s1e16)

Space Seed (s1e23) in which we are introduced to Khan Noonian Singh (KAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANH!)

A Taste of Armageddon (s1e24) The planet that fights its war by computers, counts up the casualties (and importantly, WHO were the casualties, so they can report to suicide stations)

Amok Time (s2e1) AKA "Spock gets horny"

The Doomsday Machine (s2e6)

Journey to Babel (s2e10) Say, wasn't Mark Leonard also the Romulan in Balance of Terror? can you say "recycling"?

The Trouble with Tribbles (s2e15) love this one, little furry bastards multiply like rabbits (or gremlins) and take over the Enterprise

A Piece of the Action (s2e17) A planet modeled after 1920's Chicago complete with mob bosses

Patterns of Force (s2e21) some idiot historian decides to try Fascism to unify a chaotic planet (whoops)

Assignment Earth (s2e26) for some idiot reason, the Enterprise goes back in time to do historical research and ends up messing with nuclear warheads. Wow, what a great idea.

The Enterprise Incident (s3e2) this is the most watchable episode of the ones I have seen of season 3.

Thoughts?

I never really watched Star Trek, but if I did, I imagine "The City on the Edge of Forever" (Season 1Episode 28) would be one of my favourite episodes, it having been written by Harlan Ellison.

What's your opinion of that one?

• 4 months later...

To add, my fav Next Gen episodes: (or just the ones I actually enjoyed)

Encounter at Farpoint (pilot)

The Big Goodbye (s1, e11)

The Neutral Zone (s1, e 25)

Q-Who? (s2, e16)

Who Watches the Watchers (s3, e4)

Deja Q (s3, e13)

Yesterday's Enterprise  (s3, e 15)

Captain's Holiday (s3, e 19)

Menage a Troi (s3, e 24)

Devil's Due (s4, e 13)

First Contact (s4, e 15)

Qpid (s4 e 20)

Unification (s5, e 7-8)

The Inner Light (s5, e 25) - a bit sad, though

Time's Arrow (s5, e 26/s6, e 1)

A Fistful of Datas (s6, e8)

Face of the Enemy (s6, e 14)

All Good Things (s7, e 25)

There are a few more that might have made my mental cut, but I think this is enough for now.

Anyone else?

2 hours ago, JamesHackerMP said:

To add, my fav Next Gen episodes: (or just the ones I actually enjoyed)

Encounter at Farpoint (pilot)

The Big Goodbye (s1, e11)

The Neutral Zone (s1, e 25)

Q-Who? (s2, e16)

Who Watches the Watchers (s3, e4)

Deja Q (s3, e13)

Yesterday's Enterprise  (s3, e 15)

Captain's Holiday (s3, e 19)

Menage a Troi (s3, e 24)

Devil's Due (s4, e 13)

First Contact (s4, e 15)

Qpid (s4 e 20)

Unification (s5, e 7-8)

The Inner Light (s5, e 25) - a bit sad, though

Time's Arrow (s5, e 26/s6, e 1)

A Fistful of Datas (s6, e8)

Face of the Enemy (s6, e 14)

All Good Things (s7, e 25)

There are a few more that might have made my mental cut, but I think this is enough for now.

Anyone else?

I freely admit to enjoying STTNG as much as any show that has ever been on television.  There were some duds, as there always are, but I agree with your list.

Edit>  I would add Sins of the Father (s3, e 17)

Edited by bcsapper

I've always enjoyed Star Trek, remember rushing home on Thursday nights to get supper so we could watch it.   Don't remember which episodes where my faves but I still watch re-runs, and the movies.   I did like Trouble with Tribbles 

Just finished watching the best IMO,  The Voyage Home, with the Wrath of Khan a close second.  Well,  I love The Voyage Home also.... I just taped The Undiscovered Country but it's not one of the better movies IMO.  

I started recording all the Star Trek episodes when they were re-mastered in HD with added graphics...now all episodes are available for streaming (e.g. Netflix).   Mostly preferred the more technical episodes, and loathed the silly Elizabethan knock offs that permitted Shatner's acting to go over the top or have Captain Kirk busy trying to nail every female alien in the galaxy.

Great program....groundbreaking television....comfort for boomers like me.

2 hours ago, eyeball said:

I blame Star Trek for my leftist ideals. I think if the show had disparaged the Federation while extolling the virtues of the Klingon Empire the Western world wouldn't be such a flakey place and we'd have a more realistic example of what the future should look like.

spoken like a true leftie :)

Well, getting back to the main topic...

5 hours ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

I started recording all the Star Trek episodes when they were re-mastered in HD with added graphics...now all episodes are available for streaming (e.g. Netflix).   Mostly preferred the more technical episodes, and loathed the silly Elizabethan knock offs that permitted Shatner's acting to go over the top or have Captain Kirk busy trying to nail every female alien in the galaxy.

Great program....groundbreaking television....comfort for boomers like me.

What do you mean "Elizabethan knock offs"?

5 minutes ago, JamesHackerMP said:

Well, getting back to the main topic...

What do you mean "Elizabethan knock offs"?

He probably means any episodes that extol virtue. Speaking of which I find it oddly reassuring that so many right-wingers enjoy the adventures of an Earth-ship full of commies (they don't even have money!) spreading the good word thru the galaxy.

Like I said its bizarro. 

Edited by eyeball

1 minute ago, eyeball said:

He probably means any episodes that extol virtue. Speaking of which I find it oddly reassuring that so many right-wingers enjoy the adventures of an Earth-ship full of commies (they don't even have money!) spreading the good word thru the galaxy.

Like a said its bizarro. 

It's because it's a fantasy. 

1 minute ago, eyeball said:

So right-wingers like to fantasize about virtue and humans rising above themselves, alien diversity and all that wooly headed crap they scorn others for indulging in?

Because they know it can't happen in real life.

Replicators.  Sure...