Best Trek episodes

13 minutes ago, JamesHackerMP said:

Well, getting back to the main topic...

What do you mean "Elizabethan knock offs"?

Star Trek scripts started to suffer with very thin story lines (and costumes) based on old world/classic themes delivered like Shakespeare plays, which suited Shatner's training and experience quite well, but became quite tedious for some fans (like me).    There were plots based Greek gods, kings, queens, vanity, hubris, and "seven deadly sins" that often did not translate well into the futuristic, technical context that was Star Trek.   

Shatner would deliver his lines like an Elizabethan play.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

2 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Star Trek scripts started to suffer with very thin story lines (and costumes) based on old world/classic themes delivered like Shakespeare plays, which suited Shatner's training and experience quite well, but became quite tedious for some fans (like me).    There were plots based Greek gods, kings, queens, vanity, hubris, and "seven deadly sins" that often did not translate well into the futuristic, technical context that was Star Trek.   

They also didn't really fit the commie context.  I didn't like those one's either.

Edited by eyeball

1 minute ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Shatner would deliver his lines like an Elizabethan play.

Like in the episode A Taste of Armageddon where he delivers a little soliloquy on war?

10 minutes ago, eyeball said:

He probably means any episodes that extol virtue. Speaking of which I find it oddly reassuring that so many right-wingers enjoy the adventures of an Earth-ship full of commies (they don't even have money!) spreading the good word thru the galaxy.

They had money...called "federation credits".

Just now, eyeball said:

I always enjoyed Star Trek episodes that entail time-travel and of course who can resist all those prime directives?  The Borg have definitely brought a dramatic aspect to the show as well.

Yeah they mess around with Time Travel quite a bit. THey just can't resist. And they always get in trouble when they do. Silly buggers....

3 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

They had money...called "federation credits".

I disagree. In Star Trek: First Contact, Picard clearly states that not only does money not exist, but that people are not paid for their work, because they work to "better themselves", and not for a salary. In an episode of DS9 (I forget which), Jake Sisko tells Nog that, as a Federation citizen, he has no financial ressources whatsoever.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk%3AFederation_credit

Commies thru and thru I tells ya.

Edited by eyeball

Just now, JamesHackerMP said:

Yeah they mess around with Time Travel quite a bit. THey just can't resist. And they always get in trouble when they do. Silly buggers....

Loved it when they found Data's head in 19th century San Francisco...

2 minutes ago, JamesHackerMP said:

Agreed....the follow on productions do not appeal to me at much...original "TOS" Trekkies are big on unbroken, technical continuity.

31 minutes ago, eyeball said:

You getting a better Idea of where I'm coming from?  I think the incongruity is telling but maybe I'm missing something.

Incongruity.....one sec I need my dictionary. Ok got it. But I'm still missing something here.....

Oh ok yeah I get it. THe incongruity of right wingers liking Star Trek? Sorry I'm a bit slow on the uptake tonight.

Edited by JamesHackerMP

14 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Agreed....the follow on productions do not appeal to me at much...original "TOS" Trekkies are big on unbroken, technical continuity.

I like how when they land in San Francisco in the 1980s, Kirk says "everybody remember where we parked."

The even numbered Trek movies (original ones) were better than the odd-numbered ones.

did you know....Seth MacFarlane was in two episodes of "Enterprise" series? And King Abdullah of Jordan (then the crown prince) was in an episode of "Voyager" but only as a visual cameo, no lines.

Edited by JamesHackerMP

29 minutes ago, JamesHackerMP said:

did you know....Seth MacFarlane was in two episodes of "Enterprise" series? And King Abdullah of Jordan (then the crown prince) was in an episode of "Voyager" but only as a visual cameo, no lines.

Not surprising....Hollywood would often use popular celebs and public figures in their productions.   "Assignment: Earth" featured Robert Lansing, a very accomplished actor fresh off of TV success in "12 O'clock High".    Alice Krige (Ghost Story [1981]) was outstanding as the Borg Queen, hardly breaking a sweat with her acting chops.

19 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Not surprising....Hollywood would often use popular celebs and public figures in their productions.   "Assignment: Earth" featured Robert Lansing, a very accomplished actor fresh off of TV success in "12 O'clock High".    Alice Krige (Ghost Story [1981]) was outstanding as the Borg Queen, hardly breaking a sweat with her acting chops.

Then there was Suzie Plakson in the episode with the civil war in the Q continuum. (The Q and the Gray). I think she and Harve Presnell (Q's opponent in the war) were both in civil war movies? Maybe I"m wrong about that, but I know Plakson had been in things before that. I love the line she has "tossed aside...for someone 4 billion years younger!"

Teri Garr was in Assignment: Earth. She was Inga in Young Frankenstein.

Edited by JamesHackerMP

2 minutes ago, JamesHackerMP said:

Then there was Suzie Plakson in the episode with the civil war in the Q continuum. (The Q and the Gray). I think she and Harve Presnell (Q's opponent in the war) were both in civil war movies? Maybe I"m wrong about that, but I know Plakson had been in a lot.

That was another issue that the series (and films) never distanced themselves from....the portrayal of female characters as sex objects, which ultimately cemented the term "cat suit" in popular culture with the character Seven of Nine (although "Batman" had them first).    

Just now, bush_cheney2004 said:

That was another issue that the series (and films) never distanced themselves from....the portrayal of female characters as sex objects, which ultimately cemented the term "cat suit" in popular culture with the character Seven of Nine (although "Batman" had them first).    

Yes. Both Seven and T'pol were....um, generously endowed. (Forgive the crudity/crassness).

• 2 months later...

I wanted to add something since I'm watching Voyager series now.

I think they refrained from the "cat suit thing" at least for  the first four seasons. But I don't think that Seven was merely a sex object. There was a lot of versatility in her character despite it seeming narrow at face value. The two-parter where some aliens (Hirogen "hunters") took over the ship and forced them to play war in the Holodeck (with consequences); I liked her in that one.

Edited by JamesHackerMP

On 10/28/2018 at 12:43 AM, JamesHackerMP said:

Yes. Both Seven and T'pol were....um, generously endowed. (Forgive the crudity/crassness).

If you think that's crude you clearly haven't been on the internet for long. :)

I think they both did topless shots, too... :D