Omar's lawyer is now a federal judge?

PIK

4 minutes ago, Goddess said:

Yes, yes.  Charter rights, charter rights.  You're one of those people who think the charter rights are the most important thing and should be upheld  no matter if the person is an active terrorist and hates Canada.  I'm one of those people who sees a huge flaw here that needs to be dealt with.  Otherwise we'll go broke paying off terrorists.  But do go on about the rights of terrorists being the most important thing to Canada, not safety or security.

If you can prove someone is an active terrorist that's one thing, if you can't, you can't base court proceedings on hunches. I totally agree safety/security are high on my priority list as well, but it's maybe a bit ironic that it was the US who locked him up illegally and Canada that finally corrected that and I think the stats are quite clear we are much safer here.  

2 minutes ago, Omni said:

I think the stats are quite clear we are much safer here.  

I don't think we'll be safer for much longer with a government that is soft on terrorism and appoints judges who know how to use our flawed charter to get terrorists not just off, but also get them paid millions.

Just the other day there was a bunch of fake calls put in that required RCMP precense and lockdowns at Edmonton and Toronto hospitals.  Someone is checking response times.......

3 minutes ago, Goddess said:

I don't think we'll be safer for much longer with a government that is soft on terrorism and appoints judges who know how to use our flawed charter to get terrorists not just off, but also get them paid millions.

Just the other day there was a bunch of fake calls put in that required RCMP precense and lockdowns at Edmonton and Toronto hospitals.  Someone is checking response times.......

If the US military had of tried Khadr in a proper court and had strong enough evidence to convict, then they wouldn't likely have offered a plea deal and Khadr would still be in a US jail. 

1 hour ago, Goddess said:

I read that trudeau made Khadr's lawyer a judge, talk about poking canadians in the eye. And now he is blaming the indian government, saying that they sabotaged his trip.

1 hour ago, Omni said:

If the US military had of tried Khadr in a proper court and had strong enough evidence to convict, then they wouldn't likely have offered a plea deal and Khadr would still be in a US jail. 

What rights did we fail on?

42 minutes ago, PIK said:

I read that trudeau made Khadr's lawyer a judge, talk about poking canadians in the eye.

So you are saying we saying we should judge lawyers by who they represent? The legal system is only to benefit those we like? I have no background on his lawyer, but it seems that nobody out there making noise does either. The worst judicial appointment in world history was Vic Toews.

2 hours ago, Goddess said:

To add, said lawyers get a cut of the millions paid by taxpayers to the poor misunderstood terrorists.

• Like 3

Just now, ?Impact said:

Great, can we have an entire list of who he has defended. You obviously know that because you speak with such authority.

It's my opinion based on what I've read about his career. 

You're the one who said you don't know anything about him - go find out.  Like I did.  I'm not your Google.

13 minutes ago, Omni said:

No access to council, pleas induced by torture, being tried in a non legal kangaroo court are the main ones I can think of off hand.

By canadians or americans? My understanding the only thing canada did was share some info with the americans. I am sure if this went to court he would get no where near 10m. A little we are sorry money, but that would be it.

9 minutes ago, PIK said:

By canadians or americans? My understanding the only thing canada did was share some info with the americans. I am sure if this went to court he would get no where near 10m. A little we are sorry money, but that would be it.

Both Canadians and Americans. Info was passed to Canada which was illegally obtained. He was also charged under a law that didn't even exist at the time of his alleged crime. Lots of legal issues. And had it gone to court the settlement would likely have been higher.

Why didn't Trudeau appoint an "aboriginal" instead ?    Surely that identity politics group has suffered far more at the hands of Canadian governments (including scooped babies, torture, sexual assault, and murder).   Alas, they never get $10.5 million in settlements...more like $25,000.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Goddess said:

I did the work of Googling his career choices and I'm the one who is "uninformed"?

Did you know he has been practicing law for 25 years? Do you know that he specializes in criminal, constitutional and national security law? Do you know that he has been teaching law at UofT for almost 20 years? Do you know that he is one of very very lawyers to get the necessary high level security required for security certificate proceedings?

1 minute ago, ?Impact said:

Did you know he has been practicing law for 25 years? Do you know that he specializes in criminal, constitutional and national security law? Do you know that he has been teaching law at UofT for almost 20 years? Do you know that he is one of very very lawyers to get the necessary high level security required for security certificate proceedings?

YAY!  And now you know all that, too!  :D

• Like 1