NOVA: Black Hole Apocalypse

bush_cheney2004

NOVA on PBS comes up with another winner:  Black Hole Apocalypse

Yes, the title is sensationalist click bait designed to appeal to a wider audience, but the simplified presentation works for general television viewers.   Black holes are no longer outlier anomalies...they are fundamental building & destruction blocks for galaxies.  

Excellent reference to Karl Schwarzschild (1873–1916) is included, who provided exact solutions for Einstein's theory of relativity (single sphere) while serving in the German artillery on the Russian front, sending Einstein a simple letter with the equations.  

Links:  (I don't know if PBS is geo-blocked in Canada.)

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7ZN_FxKnSc

BTW, this NOVA program was made possible by contributions from the David H. Koch Foundation...yes...that David Koch.

1 hour ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

We're sorry, but this video is not available in your region due to right restrictions.

BTW, this NOVA program was made possible by contributions from the David H. Koch Foundation...yes...that David Koch.

What about Soros ?

4 hours ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Yes, the title is sensationalist click bait designed to appeal to a wider audience, but the simplified presentation works for general television viewers.   Black holes are no longer outlier anomalies...they are fundamental building & destruction blocks for galaxies.  

Excellent reference to Karl Schwarzschild (1873–1916) is included, who provided exact solutions for Einstein's theory of relativity (single sphere) while serving in the German artillery on the Russian front, sending Einstein a simple letter with the equations.  

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7ZN_FxKnSc

Works fine here.

Black Holes in Celestia...

Cel1.thumb.jpg.8ab73a1271e6fc77ceb68f8f982d6f2b.jpgCel5.thumb.jpg.565f995aef69e99c4511f8deee5c814b.jpgCel4.thumb.jpg.099eb22e6b9d7732c54d19fa8685c3f6.jpgCel6.thumb.jpg.70b4b201702f9ce4a619a24609fd18c2.jpgob2.thumb.jpg.054e00e9124bdddc8950d754be3b6566.jpg

3 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

We're sorry, but this video is not available in your region due to right restrictions.

What about Soros ?

If it had been Soros it would have been left restrictions...

6 hours ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Yes, the David H Koch foundation does support some great programming. The internet video has gone into its own black hole apocalypse in my geo, but I see the over the air broadcast is being repeated at midnight tonight so I may watch it then (glad those radio waves cross the border so easily).

1 hour ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Indeed...I think we can safely say that "climate change" is not the biggest threat to this planet.

I think the biggest threat out there that can come out of the blue is still a comet. They move VERY fast....and usually more or less at right angles to us. I think the typical speed of a comet crossing Earth's orbit is in the 15-18 miles per second range...approx 5 miles a second gets a rocket into Earth orbit. Not a lot of warning...if any.

8 hours ago, DogOnPorch said:

That wee one over the Urals exploded in the 1 megaton range...a bigger one might well be unimaginable.

There is evidence that the inner solar system has been hit by sudden swarms of meteors or comets a few times in its history. The so-called "age of heavy bombardment" left evidence of this, determined in part by the distribution of crater sizes on the moon.

There is also speculation that prior to this, during the formation of the solar system planetary orbits were unstable, or might have been destabilized by gravitational influence of a passing massive object, leading to planetary billiard-ball like collisions. Oh my!

24 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

There is evidence that the inner solar system has been hit by sudden swarms of meteors or comets a few times in its history. The so-called "age of heavy bombardment" left evidence of this, determined in part by the distribution of crater sizes on the moon.

There is also speculation that prior to this, during the formation of the solar system planetary orbits were unstable, or might have been destabilized by gravitational influence of a passing massive object, leading to planetary billiard-ball like collisions. Oh my!

Indeed. The Moon has many curious features from different periods. The Lunar Maria being the obvious ones...Imbrium, for example, is a huge impact crater, of course.....from very ancient times. Mercury has the even larger Caloris Basin with its famous Teddy Bear impact crater grouping.

Extreme long period comets are highly eccentric in their orbits....close to 1.0 There are no-doubt millions...99.9999999% unknown/undiscovered. They come in the fastest and with least warning. Days...I'd think.

Stayed up late last night and watched this episode, it was very well done. I liked the coverage of the relatively new set of "telescopes" being used to detect gravity waves, that is certainly bringing new observations and will push the science forward. They talked about LIGO, but didn't talk about Virgo (that I recall). They did mention however the historic event that was detected this past August, if only a brief 15-20 seconds in the program. It is programs like this that we need public television for, money well spent (and yes thanks to David H. Koch, along with Alfred P. Sloan, and many others including "viewers like you").

9 hours ago, ?Impact said:

It is programs like this that we need public television for,

Well I can only agree here, given today's ear-shattering volumes of gossip and trash, celebrity hero worship and agenda-driven cultural appropriation. Seems to me "Social Media" is not really the kind of media we needed. But I digress.

Lots of programming has already included this and many other science topics, regardless of public funding.    Example: National Geographic ran with black holes over two years ago on Naked Science.    Nat Geo is a private grant foundation, now closely partnered and financed by 21st Century Fox ($725 million) for their cable channels.   Public and private media organizations garner donations and support from individuals and their foundations.

The NOVA program looks a lot like this one from 2014:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAyWr79pLog

Much of the underlying science and engineering R&D remains publicly funded, but private financing for projects has been increasing (e.g. SpaceX).   The LIGO project was financed by the U.S. National Science Foundation over many years of starts and stops to the tune of over $600 million, a price tag that is usually paid by taxpayers.

• 4 months later...
On 1/11/2018 at 8:45 AM, DogOnPorch said:

Works fine here.

For Eastern Canadian controls, only Alberta and B.C. have PBS access because they are defaulted to Spokane. Because Spokane is higher quality, the default provided by cable companies collectively force the rest of us to have Detroit's relatively underfunded station. So we are blocked everywhere for even online access if you are not of those two provinces. They want us to pay for the upgraded channels to have access everywhere. <_<