Kathleen Wynne plays the Trump card, announces $15 minimum wage by 2019!

Daycare costs going up due to the government mandated wage increase.

Link

“We were paying $1656 a month for the two children, now we’re paying $2024 a month.”

Behold the beginning of the domino effect. How is it a wage increase if it causes prices to go up? It's not. It's an inflation increase.

20 hours ago, OftenWrong said:

Daycare costs going up due to the government mandated wage increase.

Link

“We were paying $1656 a month for the two children, now we’re paying $2024 a month.”

Behold the beginning of the domino effect. How is it a wage increase if it causes prices to go up? It's not. It's an inflation increase.

It would probably be better for both of you if one of you just stayed home. You might even come out ahead. Maybe have more children like those new immigrants do and collect more money from the government. Those new immigrants are not stupid you know. But at most times most host Canadians can appear mighty stupid.  You might as well take advantage of the benefits like others seem to do.  Canada good country, yah? 

On 1/12/2018 at 12:34 PM, Argus said:

I don't know what tax calculator you're using but that is nonsense. There is no way in hell their taxes go up by 50% of the increase. At that level they mostly don't even pay taxes given the provincial and personal federal exemption amounts.

I didn't see a thank-you from AngusT for educating him on provincial tax rates.  Did you get one ?

3 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

I didn't see a thank-you from AngusT for educating him on provincial tax rates.  Did you get one ?

Oh my, sorry I didn't snap to and do your bidding in a timely fashion you approve of. It may come as a surprise to you but not everyone lives on these boards. Some people don't even visit this site everyday, or check every thread or notification. In future I'll try to conduct my thread browsing in a manner you'll approve of...not. So here's your acknowledgement. It was information I received and based on my experience from when I work overtime and see a comparable amount disappear from my cheque it seemed reasonable. Happy now? Any more imperious demands you wish to have fulfilled? If so, I'm sure you know where they can go.

28 minutes ago, AngusThermopyle said:

Oh my, sorry I didn't snap to and do your bidding in a timely fashion you approve of. It may come as a surprise to you but not everyone lives on these boards. Some people don't even visit this site everyday, or check every thread or notification. In future I'll try to conduct my thread browsing in a manner you'll approve of...not. So here's your acknowledgement. It was information I received and based on my experience from when I work overtime and see a comparable amount disappear from my cheque it seemed reasonable. Happy now? Any more imperious demands you wish to have fulfilled? If so, I'm sure you know where they can go.

Thanks AT.  I will take what I can get.

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Boges said:

Totally annecdotal, I know. But I've noticed the staffing at places like McDonalds and Tim Hortons is definitely down. 

Took them like 10 minutes to give me a coffee and danish I ordered on one of those self ordering kiosks. 

You'll be seeing a lot more of those kiosks... And a lot more self checkouts at grocery stores.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Argus said:

You'll be seeing a lot more of those kiosks... And a lot more self checkouts at grocery stores.

Self Checkouts are a pain at grocery stores. People screw up the system often enough to need someone there to help out regardless. 

Self Ordering kiosks or pre-ordering apps for Fast Food/Coffee is fine. Someone's still gotta make the stuff. 

4 minutes ago, Boges said:

Self Checkouts are a pain at grocery stores. People screw up the system often enough to need someone there to help out regardless. 

Self Ordering kiosks or pre-ordering apps for Fast Food/Coffee is fine. Someone's still gotta make the stuff. 

I can't think of any reason a machine can't make coffee. It does it in your kitchen. Most fast food is made elsewhere and simply warmed. And I like self-serve checkouts.

3 minutes ago, Argus said:

I can't think of any reason a machine can't make coffee. It does it in your kitchen. Most fast food is made elsewhere and simply warmed. And I like self-serve checkouts.

Like a vending machine? I'm not paying $4 for a coffee made from a vending machine. 

McDonalds actually has their specialty drinks made from a machine. Coffee snobs don't really buy into that. Also someone's still gotta serve it to you.

I was actually on a road-trip in the US and stopped at one of these rest-stops. Not like an OnRoute in Ontario. It's bathrooms and vending machines. I bought coffee from a vending machine, worst thing I've ever tasted. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Economic data on Friday showed the economy had lost a surprising 88,000 jobs in January, hitting its biggest one-month decline in nine years. 
"The concentration of the job loss in Ontario and the focus upon lost part-time jobs in that province will no doubt feed debate on whether large minimum wage hikes took a toll on employment, but proving causality may remain contentious," said Derek Holt, economist at Scotiabank in a note. "It's possible the Bank of Canada dismisses most of this report as a transitory adjustment to higher minimum wages," he added.

Canadian economy lost 88,000 jobs in January

Kathleen Wynne - "Pick a fight with me!!" 
image.jpg

We will, Kathleen. Next election.

9 minutes ago, PIK said:

51000 of those jobs are in ONT, thanks to hydro, taxes and the minimum wage.

Article says they're mainly part-time jobs, so it's pretty obvious who was affected and why.
These people went from working at a low minimum wage to being unemployed, thanks to Wynne.