The Responsibilities of Citizenship

19 hours ago, Omni said:

Except "nerd" is not really what you could call an identifiable community, which is the focus of hate crimes.

So what? Violent hate crimes are extremely rare in Canada to begin with. If we want to deter violence we should deter ALL violence.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, dialamah said:

So then your claim that Muslim immigrants are driving some kind of crime wave is wrong.

My neighbourhood is about 50% immigrant.  The people who engage in petty crime and "harassing/beating" of others is pretty close to 100% white.   

So you say. And your evidence is what? My evidence for the violence of Muslims in my neck of the woods is the many, many Islamic names among the killers and victims in the drug/gang wars here, as well as all those Islamic people on the wanted lists. Both of which I have previously posted.

Edited by Argus
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Argus said:

So what? Violent hate crimes are extremely rare in Canada to begin with. If we want to deter violence we should deter ALL violence.

We do. And I would remind you that hate crimes don't have to be violent to qualify.

19 hours ago, jbg said:

An attack against police is an attack on social order as much as an attack on another person.

Exactly.  Same as an identified group.

19 hours ago, bcsapper said:

Plus, we put them in harm's way for our protection.  I'm okay with the police having more protection than me.

If indeed, that is what happens.

They don't get more protection than you......hate crime legislation is reactionary.

39 minutes ago, Bob Macadoo said:

They don't get more protection than you......hate crime legislation is reactionary.

Well, they should.  I'd be okay with penalties for crimes against the police actually being greater than those for crimes against me. 

19 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

Well, they should.  I'd be okay with penalties for crimes against the police actually being greater than those for crimes against me. 

But no added penalties for crimes against specific groups. aren't police specific groups? A little contradiction in your argument, again,  it seems.

Just now, Omni said:

But no added penalties for crimes against specific groups. aren't police specific groups? A little contradiction in your argument, again,  it seems.

Attacks on the police though are attacks on all of us, the collective order. Sorry the right to legal violence is monopolized by the Crown and the police.

10 minutes ago, Omni said:

Only those that deserve it.  You never asked about deserves.  In the case of the police, "Deserves got something to do with it".

1 minute ago, bcsapper said:

Only those that deserve it.  You never asked about deserves.  In the case of the police, "Deserves got something to do with it".

In order for your "deserves" thing to apply to sentencing, it has has to be built into the wording of the law. And that's what is done with hate crimes legislation. 

1 minute ago, Omni said:

In order for your "deserves" thing to apply to sentencing, it has has to be built into the wording of the law. And that's what is done with hate crimes legislation. 

I know.  With the Police, I agree with it. 

20 hours ago, Bob Macadoo said:

Has anyone physically attacked a whole 'identifiable group before'?

Because an attack on one is not an attack on all of them.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On ‎2017‎-‎04‎-‎24 at 3:58 PM, bush_cheney2004 said:

Not quite...several of the American rights do not apply to Canada (e.g. free speech, firearms), while others are not rights at all even in the United States, just wishful thinking.    Citizen rights in the U.S. are inalienable except when restricted by law (e.g. convicted felons), regardless of any collective or individual responsibilities.

They still have responsibilities and there is no way around that. As do we all.