Foster Home Shut Down Because of the Easter Bunny

Boges

http://globalnews.ca/news/3374701/hamilton-couple-refuse-to-tell-foster-kids-easter-bunny-is-real-cas-shuts-down-home-court-docs/

The Children’s Aid Society of Hamilton is being accused of shutting down a foster home over the Easter Bunny.

Derek and Frances Baars have filed a court application alleging the Hamilton CAS violated their Charter Rights by closing down their foster home because the couple refused to tell the girls in their care that the Easter Bunny is real.

The couple, who now reside in Calgary, began taking care of two sisters, aged three and four, in December 2015.

The Baars, who call themselves devout Christians, say they told CAS that “they don’t celebrate Halloween and do not endorse Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny.”

But in February 2016, CAS support worker Tracey Lindsay allegedly told the Baars that the girls would be taken away, and their foster home permanently closed, if they refused to tell the girls that the Easter Bunny is real.

The girls were taken away March 4, and the Baars foster home was shut down.

Can you imagine if this family was Muslim? The cries of racism would have been deafening!

Perhaps denying a child the joy of thinking the Easter Bunny and/or Santa Clause are real in their formative years is a bit of a buzzkill move, but it's a small sacrifice to make if you're opening your home for children that don't have parents. 

God Bureaucrat are Awful!

It also depends how they were treating the kids in their everyday life.  If they were overbearing, that is no good.  The article doesn't tell how they were treated so it's impossible to know.  If it was just these three things, that shouldn't warrant shutting the place down, but if there is more to it than that, it would be a different matter.

16 hours ago, Boges said:

http://globalnews.ca/news/3374701/hamilton-couple-refuse-to-tell-foster-kids-easter-bunny-is-real-cas-shuts-down-home-court-docs/

Can you imagine if this family was Muslim? The cries of racism would have been deafening!

Perhaps denying a child the joy of thinking the Easter Bunny and/or Santa Clause are real in their formative years is a bit of a buzzkill move, but it's a small sacrifice to make if you're opening your home for children that don't have parents. 

We don't know really how the scenario unfolded.  Why was the case worker dictating to the foster parents to be the one to say that the easter bunny is real?  The caseworker for the child (being the designated guardian for the child), should be the one to say that, if it's so important to the girl. 

When we applied as foster parents, we were upfront with our Christianity thus we don't give rides to children to take them to a non-Christian church.  CAS takes care of that ride (the situation hadn't risen with our experience). 

It requires a delicate balance to respect the belief of others, without sacrificing one's own.  I would've said something like, "people believe in different things.  Ask your mom next time you see her what she thinks about it.  I'm a Christian, and our celebration of Easter is about Jesus Christ."   

Edited by betsy

10 hours ago, betsy said:

We don't know really how the scenario unfolded.  Why was the case worker dictating to the foster parents to be the one to say that the easter bunny is real?  The caseworker for the child (being the designated guardian for the child), should be the one to say that, if it's so important to the girl. 

When we applied as foster parents, we were upfront with our Christianity thus we don't give rides to children to take them to a non-Christian church.  CAS takes care of that ride (the situation hadn't risen with our experience). 

It requires a delicate balance to respect the belief of others, without sacrificing one's own.  I would've said something like, "people believe in different things.  Ask your mom next time you see her what she thinks about it.  I'm a Christian, and our celebration of Easter is about Jesus Christ."   

I would have said, "these kids have a decent home and I'll be damned if I'm going to take them from it for something as stupid and pointless as the ******* easter bunny!

(pardon my asterisks)

On 4/12/2017 at 4:49 PM, Boges said:

A lot of case-workers are very young.  And there are some that are on a "power trip."

I think the case worker for this child is on a trip - coerscing and bullying  the foster home to go against their religious belief.   The case-worker could also be an anti-religious person, and her ideology is spilling on her work.....

I don't buy Hamilton's CAS justification of this shutting down.  Smooth transistion is not affected by what the foster home refused to say.   The case worker made a bad judgement call.  She had a missed opportunity of explaining to the child about varying beliefs, and she herself, should've told the child the easter bunny is real (if she feels so strongly about it).  This case worker obviously believe it's real - must be close to the child's age. :lol:

And Baloney to that CAS Admin. The child has to get bumped again and place in another location, he/she gets to adjust to a new foster place again.....and may be harboring the feeling that he/she's been rejected again!  The child suffers in this bad judgement call!

That's one of the major things CAS wants to avoid - shifting the child too many times!  There's no reason why this child should've been shifted from the current home, and no justifiable reason why this home is being shut down. 

Edited by betsy