EU escalates 'visa war' with US

US citizens are set to lose the right to travel visa free to the European zone. Days of travelling to Venice or Paris with visa may become a harsh reality that enough is enough. Personally, I think although this may not be a major news in the grand scheme it signals a powerful message to the US. Trump has become too big for his boot and about time to get that smug look off his face. His arrogance and narcissitic idiosyncrasy tendencies has got the better of him in a mess he has created domestically as well as judiciaries generals and people and governments around the world.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/news/us-nationals-to-be-forced-to-apply-to-visas-eu-reciprocity/

btw The Telegraph is a rightwing conservative source. If thir claim is a such I wonder how this lays out with a more centrist liberal European newspapers....

The European Union has had enough of U.S. immigration policies, which are only further tightening under President Donald Trump (decisions that the EU has condemned); it is now considering implementing stricter travel measuresto all American travelers. On Thursday, the European Parliament proposed the European Commission force all Americans to apply for visas before they enter European territory; a measure they expect will enter into force “within two months” — before the summer. According to TheTelegraph,a European Parliament source said:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Michael Hardner said:

That would be stupid - tourists are already opting to stay home and not visit the US so they are benefiting without refusing those US tourist dollars.

I have not seen any data that would suggest that the number of tourists visiting the US from the Euro zone has declined since Trump became the POTUS. But if that is true the sanction on US citizen to apply for a visa is more of a political move and a message to US policy makers than cost benefit on tourism IMO.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/trump-us-travel-slump-1.4008256

The U.S. Travel Association says the Trump administration's immigration policies are hurting tourism.

The non-profit industry organization said in a statement Thursday there are "mounting signs" of "a broad chilling effect on demand for international travel to the United States."

It's not surprising, though it is ironic that a famous hotelier would impact the industry of which is arguably has some knowledge.

7 hours ago, kactus said:

US citizens are set to lose the right to travel visa free to the European zone.

Not going to happen. It wouldn't punish the US. It would punish European countries which have huge tourist trades, like Italy, Germany, France and the UK. Well, not the UK, since they would probably refuse to implement any such requirement as they exit the EU.

28 minutes ago, Argus said:

Not going to happen. It wouldn't punish the US. It would punish European countries which have huge tourist trades, like Italy, Germany, France and the UK. Well, not the UK, since they would probably refuse to implement any such requirement as they exit the EU.

Some people have morals.

1 hour ago, hot enough said:

Those aren't the people who blew up WTCs 1, 2 & 7, then falsely accused others of doing so so they could illegally invade sovereign nations to continue stealing their wealth. 

The people who did that are in your head, so they don't need visas.

13 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

There should be no 'local' morality.  Open all borders, and make individuals trackable.

Anonymity and national sovereignty are useless concepts, IMO.

Agreed! A controlled and trackable system is the right and morale way to go forward rather than discriminately ban a whole group or nation based on prejudices...

National sovereignty is a topic that loosely defined to accomodate for ones own prejudices IMO.

14 minutes ago, Argus said:

The people who did that are in your head, so they don't need visas.

They are in both of our heads, and every other sane human being's head. The only difference is you are too frightened to embrace the truth, so you hide away in your prejudices.

Edited by hot enough
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Argus said:

As I said this is a political move to undermine the credibility of the current US president

Besides normally when one visits foreign country you would that requires visa one has to pay for it. Why as a brit, german or a french should there be a restriction and not vice versa? It is a right move by the EU and it should run its course for approval IMHO.

Like I said....good for the EU.   If the U.S. drops from #2 most visited nation to #3....no big deal.   

#1 France might lose some U.S. tourist traffic, but well worth it.

For those who wish so strongly for open borders as part of their larger agenda, open borders can be found....on Mars.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, kactus said:

As I said this is a political move to undermine the credibility of the current US president

Besides normally when one visits a foreign country on visa as you would that would require paying for that visa. Why as a brit, german or a french should there be a restriction on visiting the US and not vice versa? It is a right move by the EU and it should run its course for approval IMHO.

3 hours ago, hot enough said:

They are in both of our heads, and every other sane human being's head. The only difference is you are too frightened to embrace the truth, so you hide away in your prejudices.

Would that be my prejudice for reality or my prejudice for sanity?

• Downvote 2

3 hours ago, kactus said:

Besides normally when one visits foreign country you would that requires visa one has to pay for it. Why as a brit, german or a french should there be a restriction and not vice versa? It is a right move by the EU and it should run its course for approval IMHO.

The more difficult you make it for tourists to come to you, the fewer tourists will come to you. This is an unavoidable rule of capitalism. Germans, French and Brits don't need visas to go to the US.

I have never been on your side of the Atlantic but I have heard that travelling to the USA can be very tedious; on top of the long flight it can take a really long time at the JFK where the authorities ask you stupid questions like how much money have you got, where are you planning to go, please show your return ticket etc.

14 hours ago, kactus said:

US citizens are set to lose the right to travel visa free to the European zone. Days of travelling to Venice or Paris with visa may become a harsh reality that enough is enough. Personally, I think although this may not be a major news in the grand scheme it signals a powerful message to the US. Trump has become too big for his boot and about time to get that smug look off his face. His arrogance and narcissitic idiosyncrasy tendencies has got the better of him in a mess he has created domestically as well as judiciaries generals and people and governments around the world.

With European tourism on a slump (like France, as an example).....who's gonna hurt more if France makes it hard for Americans to enter?  That's the harsh reality for France!

Terrorism Scares Away the Tourists Europe Was Counting On

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/30/business/international/europe-economy-gdp-terrorism.html

Personally,  USA is the #1 choice of destination for me, if I'm to go out of the country for vacation.

20 hours ago, betsy said:

With European tourism on a slump (like France, as an example).....who's gonna hurt more if France makes it hard for Americans to enter?  That's the harsh reality for France!

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/30/business/international/europe-economy-gdp-terrorism.html

Personally,  USA is the #1 choice of destination for me, if I'm to go out of the country for vacation.

The USA is less attractive for me than it used to be. I go there when I have to. Their customs officials are rude. 

• Like 1

On 5.3.2017 at 2:42 AM, bush_cheney2004 said:

The authorities at JFK want to be sure you have the means and intention to return home and not become another illegal overstay in the USA.

That's how it should be in the future as well.