Kimmel's Flat Jokes at the Oscars

betsy

All those digs by Kimmel towards Trump at the Oscars, were stale.  I told you that. 

What he tried to pass for comedy weren't funny at all, because they came across as immature, vindictive and bitter.  He came out flat!  And I'm telling you, though the audience of actors and actresses were politely seen smiling, not everyone were applauding his act! 

Matt Damon: Trump has 'a lot of work cut out for him' but we have to root for him

"Obviously, it's no secret that I didn't vote for him. And yeah, I think there is a sense of we are heading into new territory here. He is obviously not a career politician, he has been very occupied with his own business interest, which are relatively narrow given the scope of what a president actually has to deal with, so I imagine he is really working hard right now to master so many sectors. He's just got a lot of work cut out for him."

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/01/18/matt-damon-trump-has-a-lot-of-work-cut-out-for-him.html

• Like 1

I think Jimmy Kimmel made one joke about Trump, referring to him tweeting at night. I don't think he was mentioned otherwise. And your Matt Damon quote has nothing to do with what  you're talking about. You seem to be losing it, not unlike the president himself.

8 minutes ago, betsy said:

The name Trump didn't have to be mentioned.  Everyone knew who, and what he was referring to. :)

He practically dedicated his whole opening segment on Trump!

Can you provide examples to back up your point so we have something to talk about?

19 minutes ago, BubberMiley said:

Can you provide examples to back up your point so we have something to talk about?

Did you watch the Oscars at all?

Jimmy Kimmel brutally mocks Trump in Oscars opening

Even Trump's daughter wasn't safe from Kimmel's hits. He also poked fun at her ailing apparel business, which was recently dropped by Nordstrom and other retailers.

http://www.businessinsider.com/jimmy-kimmel-donald-trump-oscars-opening-monologue-jokes-2017-2

Kimmel is a very immature, bitter anti-Trump.

Yes, it's about time for it to be your last time.

Edited by betsy
  • Like 1

Just now, betsy said:

Did you watch the Oscars at all?

http://www.businessinsider.com/jimmy-kimmel-donald-trump-oscars-opening-monologue-jokes-2017-2

Kimmel is a very bitter anti-Trump.

He called for people on both sides of the political spectrum to have a dialogue, which was in no way a shot at Trump. He made a joke about how a year ago Oscars racism was a big deal and nowadays it seems quaint. Seeing as it's the day after two guys from India were assassinated for being from Iran, that is a fair point.

The "bitter hit" against Ivanka was asking someone if their dress was designed by her. That's more a plug than a shot.

And that was it. You have no point.

Just now, BubberMiley said:

He called for people on both sides of the political spectrum to have a dialogue, which was in no way a shot at Trump. He made a joke about how a year ago Oscars racism was a big deal and nowadays it seems quaint. Seeing as it's the day after two guys from India were assassinated for being from Iran, that is a fair point.

The "bitter hit" against Ivanka was asking someone if their dress was designed by her. That's more a plug than a shot.

And that was it. You have no point.

If that's how you understand it, what more can I say?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, betsy said:

If that's how you understand it, what more can I say?

Perhaps you could say what you think. You really think asking someone if their dress is an Ivanka is a bad thing to do? Really?

Do you think that late-night talk show hosts never used to mention and make fun of presidents before Trump? It sounds like you really, really wanted to be outraged before the show even started and you're determined to be outraged even though Trump was barely mentioned.

Betsy, Trump is an easy target for comedians these days. Hard not to at least mention him given the whole Meryl Streep thing.  Thing is, Hollywood lives in a bubble politically, these people are artists and most artists are liberal because they're very emotionally aware & sensitive people.  Kimmel knew the audience would be on his side so he could say those jokes and get a laugh, but he also should realize that 50% of America (and thus a big portion of the Oscar audience) voted Trump.

I don't like Kimmel but I thought he did a suprisingly good job.  They're just jokes, no reason to get bitter or spoil your Oscar night fun.

C'mon folks, it isn't only me who noticed the obvious:  Kimmel's flat performance!  He was like a drink of coca cola without the sizzle.

Oscars 2017: What we learned from Jimmy Kimmel’s toothless opening monologue

This year, the Academy Awards gained some much-needed diversity when it came to its nominees, but lost the incendiary touch that Rock lent to the proceedings. Instead, we got Jimmy Kimmel, America’s obnoxious older brother just home from freshman year, who treated Hollywood and the world to a set of Borscht Belt yuks and de-fanged Trump jokes.

Instead, audiences were treated to about 10 minutes of gentle celebrity ribbing (”Mel, you look great, I think the Scientology is really working”); hammy Hollywood-is-phony standbys (Hollywood “doesn’t discriminate based on what countries people come from, we discriminate based on age and weight”); and the lightest dancing around of Donald Trump since Jimmy Fallon flatlined at the Golden Globes (“I want to say thank you to President Trump. Remember last year when it seemed like the Oscars were racist?”).

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/film/oscars-2017-what-we-learned-from-jimmy-kimmels-toothless-opening-monologue/article34143415/

Even the way he just stood there - he was so wooden. 

Meh. He let his bitterness over Trump's win - and Trump's come-back to Streep's attack -  get the better of him.  Immature.

Edited by betsy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, betsy said:

C'mon folks, it isn't only me who noticed the obvious:  Kimmel's flat performance!  He was like a drink of coca cola without the sizzle.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/film/oscars-2017-what-we-learned-from-jimmy-kimmels-toothless-opening-monologue/article34143415/

Even the way he just stood there - he was so wooden. 

Meh. He let his bitterness over Trump's win - and Trump's come-back to Streep's attack -  get the better of him.  Immature.

Do you know what he means by "toothless" and "lightest dancing around of Trump"? It means he felt Kimmel was too easy on Trump so as not to offend Trump supporters. Looks to me that Trump supporters didn't dwell too much on what was actually said and had formed their opinions before the ceremony started.

I don't think Jimmy Kimmel is an overly partisan person, but one of his few (only) political statements was to rip apart Obamacare. (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6A4a2cMSAsE) He got his start with Ben Stein and then on the Man Show. He has also felt compelled to remind you that not everyone in Hollywood is a liberal. (http://www.salon.com/2012/11/04/jimmy_kimmel_not_everyone_in_hollywood_is_a_liberal/)  

Maybe in addition to actually listening to what he said, you shouldn't jump to conclusions as to how he thinks.

Epic Fail.

Edited by BubberMiley

9 hours ago, BubberMiley said:

Do you know what he means by "toothless" and "lightest dancing around of Trump"?

Yeah.

FLAT! 

Flat as a pancake that's been run over numerous time on the freeway! :lol:

It means he felt Kimmel was too easy on Trump so as not to offend Trump supporters.

That's why his jokes were FLAT!

He wanted to make fun yet he didn't have the guts to be fearless! 

He should've chosen a different subject - something, or someone he can really sink his teeth into.  That's why he's called, TOOTHLESS! 

large-laughing-face-smiley-emoticon.gif

Not only was he toothless about his jokes - it's stale, too!  

How many Trump jokes can we eat without wanting to puke?  Everybody's doing Trump jokes on late night shows for so long now  - and Kimmel's bitterness dampened what's already stale at the Oscars! 

How many times are we gonna see entertainment shows being hijacked for political statement?  From the Superbowl, to the Globes....and wherever there are people gathered?  This Oscars had zero originality!

It was a dark Oscars, to boot! 

Everybody who copy-cat playing politics, and did a drive-by shoot at the Presidency at the Oscars had turned it into a bitter  angst-laden night - which was supposed to be an awards night for crying out loud!  The opera about the crying clown comes to mind! :)

See? The winner was.........................TRUMP!    He managed to steal what dim light there was at that supposedly festive night! :lol:

So, Kimmel worried about offending people......

That's what happened to comedy - political correctness killed it! :lol:

EPIC FAIL! 

May it be his last Oscars. 

Edited by betsy

1 hour ago, betsy said:

Yeah.

FLAT! 

Flat as a pancake that's been run over numerous time on the freeway! :lol:

That's why his jokes were FLAT!

He wanted to make fun yet he didn't have the guts to be fearless! 

He should've chosen a different subject - something, or someone he can really sink his teeth into.  That's why he's called, TOOTHLESS! 

large-laughing-face-smiley-emoticon.gif

Not only was he toothless about his jokes - it's stale, too!  

How many Trump jokes can we eat without wanting to puke?  Everybody's doing Trump jokes on late night shows for so long now  - and Kimmel's bitterness dampened what's already stale at the Oscars! 

How many times are we gonna see entertainment shows being hijacked for political statement?  From the Superbowl, to the Globes....and wherever there are people gathered?  This Oscars had zero originality!

It was a dark Oscars, to boot! 

Everybody who copy-cat playing politics, and did a drive-by shoot at the Presidency at the Oscars had turned it into a bitter  angst-laden night - which was supposed to be an awards night for crying out loud!  The opera about the crying clown comes to mind! :)

See? The winner was.........................TRUMP!    He managed to steal what dim light there was at that supposedly festive night! :lol:

So, Kimmel worried about offending people......

That's what happened to comedy - political correctness killed it! :lol:

EPIC FAIL! 

May it be his last Oscars. 

You can't give any examples of what you're talking about at all? 

I thought Kimmel did well - relaxed and low key. The crowd response is usually poor so the jokes don't land very well, although a lot better than the WH correspondents' dinner  which must have the most apathetic crowd in the world. A President as controversial and strange as Trump is going to get mentioned in jokes at the Oscars. 

After all those hours of Trump-bashing.......what happened at the Oscars at the end, seemed like it got hit by "karma!"  

Poor  Kimmel looked quite dazed walking aimlessly on stage when this fiasco unfolded.  Check it out.

Then, the ratings on top of that.  Wow.  Talk about what goes around comes around.  This time, it happened real fast.

Edited by betsy