Trudeau invites refugees to Canada, taunts Trump

Argus

Just now, Smallc said:

It was nothing of the sort.  Trump's policies have been countered over the last few days by a plethora of countries, from China to Mexico to Denmark to Canada and Scotland.  This administration has thus far been an unmitigated disaster in a way that I had never predicted.

You really don't know anything about Trump, do you? Trump is at his most vindictive when someone he thinks is being friendly and amiable turns around and goes against him. I can see him saying to himself "Here I send a guy up there to reassure them I don't have anything against them, and that Trudeau guy talks to me for an hour saying nice things, and then the little bastard goes and does this. Well, let's see how he likes us getting rough on NAFTA negotiations and the border."

5 minutes ago, Smallc said:

Without that, it's quite likely we wouldn't have gotten CETA.  Would that have been better?

Half our trade with Europe is with the UK, which is leaving the EU, so yes, it would have been.

Edited by Argus

2 minutes ago, Argus said:

Two thirds of our trade with Europe is with the UK, which is leaving the EU, so yes, it would have been.

CETA is worth $12B per year.  About half of that from countries that aren't the UK.

Edited by Smallc

4 minutes ago, Smallc said:

It was nothing of the sort.  Trump's policies have been countered over the last few days by a plethora of countries, from China to Mexico to Denmark to Canada and Scotland.  This administration has thus far been an unmitigated disaster in a way that I had never predicted.

How has it been a disaster?  The administration is going through their agenda.  Just because you don't like the agenda doesn't mean it's a disaster, that judgement is to be made in years time when there are quantitative results.

2 minutes ago, ?Impact said:

Sorry but kissing ass is not Canada's style.

You can choose to play it like that, but that would be dishonest. This wasn't him choosing to adhere to Canada's existing policy. It was him choosing, on the weekend when Trump's new refugee edict comes into affect and it's all over the American news, to make an inflammatory tweet that Trump will take as a slam against him. There is zero benefit to Canada in doing this, and much danger, not just in what a petty Trump might do to retaliate, but in potential to exacerbate our already existing refugee problem by bringing new floods of applicants.

1 minute ago, blueblood said:

How has it been a disaster?  The administration is going through their agenda. 

Legal US residents from the 7 named countries can't even return to the US.   People are being detained for legally entering the United States.  JFK has been swarmed by protesters because of this ban and the detentions happening there.

On top of that, Mexico has gained the upper hand in negotiations with Trump already over NAFTA (The US holds less power over Mexico in such a negotiation than they might believe).  Trump had to tuck tail between his legs and go talk nice to Pena Nieto after he called Trumps bluff.  That's just off the top of my head.

2 minutes ago, ?Impact said:

Yes the UK is our largest trading partner in Europe, but it nowhere near two thirds. It is less than one third.

So we're gaining about $8B in annual trade for a possible bill of $222M in false refugee claims.  Seems like a good deal.

4 minutes ago, Smallc said:

I know that we can't cower before someone like Trump.  Trudeau will be nice to Trump.  He doesn't have to back of his nonsensical policies.

No, he doesn't have to back them. What he also doesn't have to do is be a sanctimonious idiot and taunt criticism of Trump's policies when those policies don't even affect us.

The other day the media were full of information on the Liberal gathering in Calgary where they were basically ready to throw Mexico under the bus i it meant we would avoid the fallout from Trump's protectionist policies, and he goes and does something calculated to piss Trump off.

2 minutes ago, Argus said:

You can choose to play it like that, but that would be dishonest. This wasn't him choosing to adhere to Canada's existing policy.

What are you talking about?  He reiterated Canada's existing policy.

1 minute ago, Argus said:

No, he doesn't have to back them. What he also doesn't have to do is be a sanctimonious idiot and taunt criticism of Trump's policies when those policies don't even affect us.

So, you're wrong again.  Dual Canadian citizens who also happen to be citizens of the 7 named countries cannot enter the United States of America.  Legal immigrants and refugees from those 7 countries residing in Canada could yesterday legally enter the United States - now they can't.

Just now, Smallc said:

Legal US residents from the 7 named countries can't even return to the US.   People are being detained for legally entering the United States.  JFK has been swarmed by protesters because of this ban and the detentions happening there.

On top of that, Mexico has gained the upper hand in negotiations with Trump already over NAFTA (The US holds less power over Mexico in such a negotiation than they might believe).  Trump had to tuck tail between his legs and go talk nice to Pena Nieto after he called Trumps bluff.  That's just off the top of my head.

How does Mexico gain the upper hand with the USA?  I don't see that happening as the USA can pretty much do what it wants, COOL ruling in Canada's favour yet nothing done on it.  

The incident at JFK is going through the courts, maybe people will be renouncing their dual citizenships...

1 minute ago, Smallc said:

What are you talking about?  He reiterated Canada's existing policy.

Oh really? Seen FOX lately. I understand it's Trump's favorite news source.

TORONTO –  Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has a message for refugees rejected by U.S. President Donald Trump: Canada will take you.

He also intends to talk to Trump about the success of Canada's refugee policy.

Trudeau reacted to Trump's ban of Muslims from certain countries by tweeting Saturday: "To those fleeing persecution, terror & war, Canadians will welcome you, regardless of your faith. Diversity is our strength #WelcomeToCanada."

Trudeau also posted a picture of him greeting a Syrian child at Toronto's airport in late 2015. Trudeau oversaw the arrival of more than 39,000 Syrian refugees soon after he was elected.

A spokeswoman for Trudeau said Trudeau has a message for Trump.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/01/28/pm-trudeau-says-canada-will-take-refugees.html