President Trump's cabinet

7 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Obama can pardon Clinton for all her crimes before he leaves office. 

Doesn't she actually have to be charged with something to get a pardon? It seems pretty ridiculous that Obama could say "listen, Hillary isn't charged yet, but if you guys find out something after I leave office, nuh-uh."  I can't imagine that he could give her a blank-check immunity from future prosecution.

-k

9 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Obama can pardon Clinton for all her crimes before he leaves office. 

Only if she's actually charged with crimes before he leaves office though, right? He can't preemptively pardon her for crimes she might be charged with later under a Trump administration. 

2 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Yes he can...just as President Ford pardoned Dick Nixon.  It is an enumerated power.

He could even pardon her for murder.

I understand he could pardon someone for murder or any other specific crime someone is charged with. But I thought he can't pardon her for crimes that she might be charged with in the future. Or can he? If so, got a link supporting that?

Edited by Bonam

2 minutes ago, Bonam said:

I understand he could pardon someone for murder or any other specific crime someone is charged with. But I thought he can't pardon her for crimes that she might be charged with in the future. Or can he? If so, got a link supporting that?

Why yes...yes I do:

Now, Therefore, I, Gerald R. Ford, President of the United States, pursuant to the pardon power conferred upon me by Article II, Section 2, of the Constitution, have granted and by these presents do grant a full, free, and absolute pardon unto Richard Nixon for all offenses against the United States which he, Richard Nixon, has committed or may have committed or taken part in during the period from January 20, 1969 through August 9, 1974.

http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/?pid=4696

23 minutes ago, kimmy said:

Will Trump also go ahead and appoint the Special Prosecutor In Charge Of Jailing The Bitch, as he promised?

I suspect not.

The FBI director (who has republican ties) said that there wasn't anything that she could be charged with that would stick. Any special prosecutor would still have to follow the law, and its quite possible that they could similarly end up loosing the case. So, Trump could end having her charged, have her still not be in jail, and end up looking bad (both for breaking his election promise, and for looking weak/defeated.)

Ok, techinically trump might want to appoint a special prosecutor, but his handlers would probably convince him otherwise.

Re: Obama pardoning Hillary...

Doesn't she actually have to be charged with something to get a pardon?

From what I understand, Nixon was pardoned by Ford even though there were no actual charges pending. So no, she doesn't actually have to be charged to be pardoned.

Who can forget her mock trial at the GOP convention.   Gov. Christy read the charges, and the rabid crowd shouted, "GUILTY !!! "

Chris Christie...demoted to secretary of shine my shoes. About an hour ago.

Edited by DogOnPorch

51 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Gov. Christy read the charges, and the rabid crowd shouted, "GUILTY !!! "

I hope the irony of that isn't lost on anyone. But I guess it's all water under the bridge.

-k

3 minutes ago, DogOnPorch said:

Meh...gone...history.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/12/us/politics/trump-cabinet.html?_r=0

Newt is next...my bet.

I think he'll look quite dashing leading the Trump Transistion Team wearing an ultra-wide orange jumpsuit.

-k

1 minute ago, ?Impact said:

Yes, another major war based on false pretences that will destroy the world.

Too bad for the world if one nation can destroy it.   At least Canada has "free" health care to deal with all the dying and wounded.

Edited by bush_cheney2004