Why are Liberals negotiating extradition treaty with China?

Argus

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again I ask, if someone commits a murder or rape in China a flees to Canada what do we do? The question has not been answered, despite pretending it was. Saying Canada is free to put them to trial is completely meaningless.

I agree fully. China has 400 times the population of Canada. One could assume that they have many more murderers, con men or just plain criminals who have fled their country - some of whom have ended up in Canada. Attempting to try them here without the cooperation and full disclosure from the Chinese is meaningless. So we would be stuck with them.

There is a misconception that all those who flee China are political prisoners - they are not.

Again I ask, if someone commits a murder or rape in China a flees to Canada what do we do? The question has not been answered, despite pretending it was. Saying Canada is free to put them to trial is completely meaningless.

Just because you don't like the answer does not mean it was not answered. As I said there have been two cases that I can think of where China put people on trial for murders committed in Canada at the request of Canadian authorities. You have offered no argument for why this is not a perfectly acceptable way to deal with the hypothetical scenario you raised. Edited by TimG

If we really want to get rid of someone then we can simply deport him, since he'd be an illegal immigrant.

Edited by Argus

Just because you don't like the answer does not mean it was not answered. As I said there have been two cases that I can think of where China put people on trial for murders committed in Canada at the request of Canadian authorities. You have offered no argument for why this is not a perfectly acceptable way to deal with the hypothetical scenario you raised.

Still not answered, giving a totally difference scenario does not answer the question I posed. How are we, or they, supposed to try someone in another country? Who does the prosecution, who provides the evidence, etc.

Still not answered, giving a totally difference scenario does not answer the question I posed. How are we, or they, supposed to try someone in another country? Who does the prosecution, who provides the evidence, etc.

As I said: this has happened twice already. Canada sent the RCMP to China to provide evidence in the trial in China. Translators were obviously provided. The same process could work for Canada. In fact, it is probably the best way to ensure that the accused receives due process.

And if that is too cumbersome, Canada can choose to extradite anyone without any treaty. This makes your hypothetical even less relevant because Canada does not need to keep any accused murderer or rapist if it does not want to. The only thing an extradition treaty would do is make it harder to protect non-violent offenders from the excesses of a rigged system.

Edited by TimG

How so?

You're years too late. I stopped doing that when it embraced capitalism... years and years ago. It's leaders are even more right wing too.

Think again. Outside the special economic zones, it's the same old Red China.

Re: House of Saud: I think we can agree neither of us support Saudi Arabia.

It's the same old Canada outside Ottawa too - our special constituent area.

Your go to superpower supports SA.

And we're also responsible for our government's support for the house of Saud too.

1. Special Economic Zones are a fact. Canada bears zero resemblance to Communist China.

2. I have no 'go to' superpower.

3. No I'm not. You voted for these clowns. Not moi.

Who did I vote for?

Not who I voted for.

:)

Meanwhile, China toys with the idea of making polluted lakes and rivers tourist attractions. Passing red lakes and rivers off as natural annual occurrences.

The chemical reactions always turn the waters such a lovely red in the autumn.

Passing red lakes and rivers off as natural annual occurrences.

The chemical reactions always turn the waters such a lovely red in the autumn.

Red lakes and rivers are common around the world. Generally it is caused by Chromatiaceae bacteria. When there are droughts and water levels lower, often fish will die off and their decomposing remains will deplete the lakes of oxygen providing an ideal environment for the bacteria to thrive. I have no idea what is happening in China specifically, but I wouldn't outright discount a natural cycle.

Red lakes and rivers are common around the world. Generally it is caused by Chromatiaceae bacteria. When there are droughts and water levels lower, often fish will die off and their decomposing remains will deplete the lakes of oxygen providing an ideal environment for the bacteria to thrive. I have no idea what is happening in China specifically, but I wouldn't outright discount a natural cycle.

Yes...Red Tide would be the excuse. Are you Red Chinese perhaps?

:D

And here's an example of Communist Chinese perfidy in the world of metals: China leads the world in tungsten production. A metal similar to gold in density though much harder. China is also the leading source of gold plated tungsten bars...available commercially. Their only use? You tell me. The website I'm looking at suggests 'paperweight'.

:)

But, I'm sure they're straight-shooters in the extradition department.