City worker berates cop, on video, over parking ticket.

Boges

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the idea of race and BLM is irrelevant to my interest in this story.

You could argue the Garbage Man has a point because he was asked for ID for a simple parking infraction. But he loses all credibility when he assumed his employer made him above the law. It also makes his judgement extraordinarily poor to the point that his employment should be reviewed because he posted this video on purpose to try and expose discrimination but only brought himself and his employer into disrepute.

I think the idea of race and BLM is irrelevant to my interest in this story.

You could argue the Garbage Man has a point because he was asked for ID for a simple parking infraction. But he loses all credibility when he assumed his employer made him above the law. It also makes his judgement extraordinarily poor to the point that his employment should be reviewed because he posted this video on purpose to try and expose discrimination but only brought himself and his employer into disrepute.

The issue here I think is that people are turning this into a race issue for some reason.

Let's say someone obese, or old, or a woman, or disabled, breaks the law and when confronted, they start yelling "you hate me because I'm fat, or old, or a woman, or disabled" (false victimhood) and nobody turns around and says they're somehow the spokesperson for all obese/old/women/disabled.

Why should an idiot person who happens to be black be the spokesperson for an entire race?

This thread in itself proves racism is alive an well. The actions of this man does not speak for all black people.

The issue here I think is that people are turning this into a race issue for some reason.

Let's say someone obese, or old, or a woman, or disabled, breaks the law and when confronted, they start yelling "you hate me because I'm fat, or old, or a woman, or disabled" (false victimhood) and nobody turns around and says they're somehow the spokesperson for all obese/old/women/disabled.

Why should an idiot person who happens to be black be the spokesperson for an entire race?

This thread in itself proves racism is alive an well. The actions of this man does not speak for all black people.

I certainly never said that he represents all black people. He does, however, represent the prevailing arrogance of civil servants though.

The quote "You thought I was just some regular N-Word, You stupid F-word" is particularly cringe worthy because he thinks his profession made it seem like he could do this. And that the cop has screwed up by writing a ticket to a valued Garbage man. That's what I take issue with, not his race.

Where race comes into play, is that this man actually thought he was exposes some sort of racism or discrimination when posting the video. All it exposes is his arrogance and absolutely dreadful judgement.

Edited by Boges

Yes, I agreed very well he's an idiot and the things he said were out of line.

My issue is that had another marginalized group acted as abhorrently and said things that were offensive, there would not be a thread right now reflecting "a general tendency" (read - stereotype) about that group.

My issue is that had another marginalized group acted as abhorrently and said things that were offensive, there would not be a thread right now reflecting "a general tendency" (read - stereotype) about that group.

That's not true at all. It's race that made this man feel that he's been particularly grieved.

It's not racist to discuss if, what he did, was a firing offence. And his race only comes into play because of him, not my opinion of his behaviour.

If you want to call me a civil servant hater, I'll entertain that accusation. But implying I'm racist for starting this thread even though it was big news in the Toronto media this week is, quite frankly, highly offensive.

Edited by Boges

Did I say it was just against blacks? No. But the cops sure as hell are disproportionately violent towards black people.

Disproportionate, ,yes, but not by much. Some one has to be first on the leader board.

There is racism and violence from cops against everyone, but if you look at the percentage of violent crimes by blacks per capita vs other races, do you not think that makes the cops aware that blacks are way and above the others, and maybe that is why they are a little quicker on the draw?

Edited by drummindiver

Why should it matter if its a marginalized group or not?

You are always complaining about how racist or whatever Trump is, and I've never heard him say anything close to as vile as this bro said.

I know lots of civil servants who don't think they have a right to park in handicap spaces.... that's a ridiculous comment.

I'm sure that's true. I'm just saying that, in this instance, we have a civil servant who does believe this. I think that's particularly egregious to the point where, it's reasonable to debate whether this man should even be employed by the city.

It's also funny because half of the city of Toronto has contracted out Garbage Collection, he's one of the few Garbagemen that's actually employed directly by a municipality.

It also speaks to the entitlement of Civil Servants who believe they are owed pay raises and pension plans that a vast majority of comparable workers do not get. All because their jobs and wages are protected by their employers ability to increase their revenue by simply passing a law. But that's broader topic.

Edited by Boges

Oh, well...it's all okay then. You've got to shoot a few six year olds with toys to make an omelette.

Sorry, my bad.

They didn't shoot him because they mistakenly thought he had a gun though.

Plus, they were black, the kid was white.

Proving not just black people get shot, which was my point.

Your omelette analogy, I understand, was your attempt at saying even whites sometimes get shot.

Which again proves my point, and that is only black lives matter, cause where was the uproar over this?

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/louisiana-shooting-jeremy-mardis-death-at-hands-of-marshals-norris-greenhouse-derrick-stafford/

Edited by drummindiver

It also speaks to the entitlement of Civil Servants who believe they are owed pay raises and pension plans that a vast majority of comparable workers do not get.

Actually that speaks to the class warfare that the rich have been winning for the past several decades. We are all owed pension plans, yet we have allowed the corporations to slowly get rid of them with the help of their political puppets. The benefits of society should go to all society, not just rich which believe they have the entitlement.

Back to the topic at hand.

This guy was acting like a jerk, and I don't see anybody defending him. We do however have the self-righteous somehow accusing the 'progressives'.

Edited by ?Impact

We are all owed pension plans

WTF? We are owed nothing.

yet we have allowed the corporations to slowly get rid of them

Because it is not the job of a corporation to fund the retirement of its workers. Funding retirement is entirely the responsibility of the individual with the assistance of government when necessary.

If that's what you think BLM means, then I'm wasting my time talking to you.

Marginalized ppl wanting to be treated fairly?

Hard to recompense that they are so marginalized when a black man is the second most powerful man in the world (Putin was actually ranked #1)

Michele Obama was number 13, which is remarkable when you consider Markke was number 1, a lady who actually runs a country not a lady who just sleeps with a guy who does.

When are we having an Indigenous homeless lives matter, or a Syrian refugee lives matter?

I get what progressives think it means, I just think it's racism and divisional.