Should we bring back Capital Punishment for violent crimes.

Should we bring back Capital Punishment for violent crimes.  

21 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Although those circumstances also apply, I am including the routine accidental deaths from employment, transportation systems, medical procedures, legal and illegal drugs, recreation, etc., etc. I am logically challenging the "moral" objection to accidental capital punishment given the huge number of routine accidental deaths that are widely accepted.

None of this has anything to do with instituting capital punishment for crimes, and thus executing innocent people by mistake.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what happens when someone being held in a prison for long years ? Does he/she going to be a better person with each passing day behind the walls ? Or just the opposite he/she is going to suffer physically and psychologically ? Short term of prison sentence is acceptable but long term prison sentence is a crime. Makes everything worse.

Does Turkey employ the death penalty? If so, what crimes lead to execution? How is the execution carried out?

I understand what you mean. If I really hated someone and wanted them to suffer, killing them would be too easy for them. Years in solitary confinement would be a lot more painful and may well drive them mad at some point, probably sooner than later.

So what happens when someone being held in a prison for long years ? Does he/she going to be a better person with each passing day behind the walls ? Or just the opposite he/she is going to suffer physically and psychologically ? Short term of prison sentence is acceptable but long term prison sentence is a crime. Makes everything worse.

No it doesn't. Ask them if they'd rather die. I don't know that many would.

Agree...as innocent people are "executed" on a daily basis without regard to mistakes. So that is not a logical reason to reject capital punishment.

Whats being discussed here is the policy of actually deliberately and with great purpose endeavouring to kill a particular person. There is no accident or mistake and the target is not collateral damage.

Whats being discussed here is the policy of actually deliberately and with great purpose endeavouring to kill a particular person. There is no accident or mistake and the target is not collateral damage.

Nice try...but statistics say otherwise. People are accidently killed as a matter of public and private policy, so accidental death sentence executions after many years of trial, due process, and appeals are not logically countered with such an argument.

Nice try...but statistics say otherwise. People are accidently killed as a matter of public and private policy, so accidental death sentence executions after many years of trial, due process, and appeals are not logically countered with such an argument.

Sure people are accidentally killed all the time despite efforts to not kill them. No death sentence execution is accidental.

Sure people are accidentally killed all the time despite efforts to not kill them. No death sentence execution is accidental.

That's even better then....the "Crown" cannot make mistakes !

Life imprisonment for a wrongfully convicted and sentenced person would also be an "accident" depriving them of life and liberty, but it is acceptable to many.

Thats true. Innocent people have been falsely imprisoned to their great detriment. We can be sure that there are some at this very moment who are incarcerated falsely. And you are correct that such a state of affairs is accepted. Its accepted, I'm guessing, because our society is so used to incarcerating law-breakers that we cannot imagine how else to deal with law-breakers. So we accept the system knowing full well that many will be unjustly caught up in the justice machinery.

However, knowing that the system is fuckedup enough to incarcerate the innocent, society cooks up all sorts of means and methods to hopefully allow those false incarcerations to come to light and restitution to the poor suckers made. With death sentences there can be no restitution or fixing.

Your alternative is to spend a lot more money to hang them?

Is this an electric chair made of gold or the bullet made of diamond??? You know how much it cost to keep someone in jail every year not alone for a lifetime? The latter cost less!!!!!!!!!!! Are you kidding me.

I am talking about proven dangerous offenders who have committed rapes and murder like Paul Bernardo who video taped his actions or Robert Pickton for whom there were tonnes of evidence. Keep them in jail for life and tax payer has to pay for the cost because of some soft hearts.

Your alternative is to spend a lot more money to hang them?

Karla Homalka is walking free, has a family and children - she'll never be a productive member of society and meanwhile 2 families (3 if you count the Homalkas) are trying to deal with their murdered children - which they'll never recover from.

So, my answer is....Yes! hang the bitch and anyone who does the same.

Karla Homalka is walking free, has a family and children - she'll never be a productive member of society and meanwhile 2 families (3 if you count the Homalkas) are trying to deal with their murdered children - which they'll never recover from.

Or, just lock her in a public pillory. Whatever the community happens to do her as they pass by, so be it.

Is this an electric chair made of gold or the bullet made of diamond??? You know how much it cost to keep someone in jail every year not alone for a lifetime? The latter cost less!!!!!!!!!!! Are you kidding me.

The electric chair is an American tradition. In Canada, the traditional means of execution is hanging. The person employed to carry out the execution is Arthur Ellis. If we are going to execute people in this country, we should do it properly.

Keep in mind that even if the death penalty existed, Homolka would not have been affected by it.

She got out of jail early because the police and courts messed up and offered her a sweetheart deal. That wouldn't have changed even if execution was an option.

Absolutely untrue. Men do not suffer less than women when they are shot or molested over years. They may even suffer more because of outdated attitudes such as your own, believing they're less 'fragile' than women emotionally and can 'take it'. And dead is dead; man or woman, the people left behind suffer.

You are denying the obvious. So men and women are equal in strength and can physically defend themselves equally? I do believe that women make up for lack of physical strength in brains though as I find my female students smarter and more hard working and generally speaking on average doing better not to mention a teenage girl again generally speaking is more mature than a teenage boy.

Physical strength and ability to defend one's self make little/no difference when unarmed against someone with a gun. Men's and women's lives are all equally precious and to snuff them out is an equally atrocious crime.

Does Turkey employ the death penalty? If so, what crimes lead to execution? How is the execution carried out?

I understand what you mean. If I really hated someone and wanted them to suffer, killing them would be too easy for them. Years in solitary confinement would be a lot more painful and may well drive them mad at some point, probably sooner than later.

No we dont but big part of our people want it for some specific situations.

The reason that executions cost so much is not because of the actual execution, but because of all the court issues surrounding it. Because they (meaning the government, courts, lawyers, etc.) wants to make sure an innocent person isn't put to death, capital punishment cases are generally subject to more legal appeals, which ends up costing more in lawyer fees, judge's salary, etc. It would be possible to reduce costs by limiting the appeals process , but then you would end up with more people being put to death who were wrongly convicted.

I am talking about proven dangerous offenders who have committed rapes and murder like Paul Bernardo who video taped his actions or Robert Pickton for whom there were tonnes of evidence.

The problem that cases like Bernardo or Pickton (multiple murders with excessive evidence) are relatively rare. Many murder cases are much more murky... fewer victims, less evidence, and more chances of mistakes being made. The problem is trying to come up with a legal framework or a law that can allow an execution of a Bernardo/Picton, but would prevent the execution of a Millgard or Morin.

I have no moral objection to the death penalty... I think there are people who's actions are so horrible that they have forfeited their right to exist. (Multiple murders, murder with sexual assault, talking in movie theaters.) I just don't trust the government and legal system to properly handle things.

Keep in mind that even if the death penalty existed, Homolka would not have been affected by it.

She got out of jail early because the police and courts messed up and offered her a sweetheart deal. That wouldn't have changed even if execution was an option.

That's clearly an example I used as someone who I would say does deserve the death penalty and why I would support it.

Finally, if it is wrong for a citizen to kill a defenceless individual, how do you justify the Crown executing a defenceless individual.

I am currently against the death penalty (largely due to the chance of the execution of an innocent person.) However, I do have a problem with that particular argument.

It is true that it is illegal for an individual to kill another. But that would not mean it would be wrong for the government to do so. After all, it would also be illegal for one citizen to kidnap another and put them in a small room, yet that's basically what happens when a criminal is arrested and imprisoned. Its illegal for one individual to steal someone else' money or property, but we expect the government to do so in enforcing traffic fines or similar situations.

We are talking about a person who has their hands tied behind their back, their feet bound, a hood over their head, and a noose around their neck. That is no different than first degree murder.

Actually there would be differences...

- The convicted criminal is being executed for actions they have taken against society, according to the rule of law. The first degree murder generally does not kill people based on the victim's transgressions against society but for their own selfish reasons.

- Those that would be executed would be subject to a court system (which in an ideal world would be fair and unbiased, with various checks and balances). The first degree murder typically does not grant people that sort of right to a trial/appeals/etc.

Again, I'm not saying I think capital punishment should be brought back. I'm just saying that that one argument you used (execution is the same as murder) is flawed. The only argument needed to reject capital punishment is the risk of executing an innocent person. Everything else is both unnecessary and, quite often, bunk.

• 2 weeks later...

The reason that executions cost so much is not because of the actual execution, but because of all the court issues surrounding it. Because they (meaning the government, courts, lawyers, etc.) wants to make sure an innocent person isn't put to death, capital punishment cases are generally subject to more legal appeals, which ends up costing more in lawyer fees, judge's salary, etc. It would be possible to reduce costs by limiting the appeals process , but then you would end up with more people being put to death who were wrongly convicted.

The problem that cases like Bernardo or Pickton (multiple murders with excessive evidence) are relatively rare. Many murder cases are much more murky... fewer victims, less evidence, and more chances of mistakes being made. The problem is trying to come up with a legal framework or a law that can allow an execution of a Bernardo/Picton, but would prevent the execution of a Millgard or Morin.

I have no moral objection to the death penalty... I think there are people who's actions are so horrible that they have forfeited their right to exist. (Multiple murders, murder with sexual assault, talking in movie theaters.) I just don't trust the government and legal system to properly handle things.

Actually, number of victims has zilch to do with it. It all comes down to proof.

A murderer can have a thousand victims but if he covers his tracks well, still no proof.

A murderer can have one single victim, but got caught by CCTV and two cops passing by with cameras on them catching him red handed.