Anglicans vote to allow same-sex marriage in Canada

The various sects of Christianity already cherry pick the scripture they abide by and the passages they ignore, and the do it differently from each other. Church leaders craft the message of what their god wants from you. So why is this bit of cherry picking any different?

It's the same thing. People enamoured with the idea of going to a building with stained glass once a week and who want to say that they are "spiritual", but don't want to actually make any changes in their lives the rest of the week. The United Church started down the same road years ago.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Christianity cherry-picks all sorts of things from the bible. Why shouldn't gay marriage be another thing they cherry-pick?

Do you believe a man can live inside a giant fish? Or that 2 of every animal was put on a boat?

What happened to all those great punishments, like stoning? They left them behind. Anti-gay bigotry will be left behind too as the modern secular world drags religion kicking and screaming along with it.

All forms of sexual impurity are sinful. Anything that is not between a married man and woman is not allowed. At all. Ever.

In other words, unless someone is a virgin until marriage, they are no different than gay people.

In other words, unless someone is a virgin until marriage, they are no different than gay people.

Exactly. But this is ignored... Just the "gay is bad" part seems to be adhered to. Because it suits the Christian narrative. At least it did... That's changing now too, at least by this denomination.

Nah, I learned as a very young girl that it didn't matter when I repented - as long as I accepted Jesus as my savior before dying, I was good to go (to heaven). That's a lot of wiggle room. :)

Then what are the Commandments for, if they don't matter?

You don't know if you've got wiggle room or not. You could die tonight in an accident - and you might not be conscious enough to even accept Jesus as your Saviour.

Come to think of it.....it seems that mere lip service of acceptance of Jesus, wouldn't be enough.

Matthew 7

True and False Disciples

21 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.

22 Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’

23 Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’

The Wise and Foolish Builders

24 “Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. 25 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock.

26 But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. 27 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash.”

Edited by betsy

Pre-marital sex is fornication. Homosexuality is a sin just like fornication is a sin.

They can ask for forgiveness, and REPENT. Repentance comes with it.

Edited by betsy

Show me the quotes where Christ spoke about disagreeing with homosexuality and gay marriage.

Romans 1

Unbelief and Its Consequences

18 For athe wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men who bsuppress the truth 1in unrighteousness,

19 because athat which is known about God is evident 1within them; for God made it evident to them.

20 For asince the creation of the world His invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, bbeing understood through what has been made, so that they are without excuse.

21 For even though they knew God, they did not 1honor Him as God or give thanks, but they became afutile in their speculations, and their foolish heart was darkened.

22 aProfessing to be wise, they became fools,

23 and aexchanged the glory of the incorruptible God for an image in the form of corruptible man and of birds and four-footed animals and 1crawling creatures.

24 Therefore aGod gave them over in the lusts of their hearts to impurity, so that their bodies would be bdishonored among them.

25 For they exchanged the truth of God for 1a alie, and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, bwho is blessed 2forever. Amen.

26 For this reason aGod gave them over to bdegrading passions; for their women exchanged the natural function for that which is 1unnatural,

27 and in the same way also the men abandoned the natural function of the woman and burned in their desire toward one another, amen with men committing 1indecent acts and receiving in 2their own persons the due penalty of their error.

28 And just as they did not see fit 1to acknowledge God any longer, aGod gave them over to a depraved mind, to do those things which are not proper,

29 being filled with all unrighteousness, wickedness, greed, evil; full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, malice; they are agossips,

30 slanderers, 1ahaters of God, insolent, arrogant, boastful, inventors of evil, bdisobedient to parents,

31 without understanding, untrustworthy, aunloving, unmerciful;

32 and although they know the ordinance of God, that those who practice such things are worthy of adeath, they not only do the same, but also bgive hearty approval to those who practice them.

Edited by betsy

Pre-marital sex is fornication. Homosexuality is a sin just like fornication is a sin.

They can ask for forgiveness, and REPENT. Repentance comes with it.

Yeah but both are going to hell, yet you choose to spend your hours obsessing over one and not the other.

There are a hell of lot more lost hetrosexual lives fornicating than gays having gay sex. I don't see you praising sweet Jesus to their 'Transformation!"

Then what are the Commandments for, if they don't matter?

They don't even matter to most Christians. They are either not adhered to or interpreted away until they are watered down.

How do you keep the Sabbath holy? Did you change the Sabbath to Sunday, rather than the original Saturday?

Exodus 31:14 Ye shall keep the sabbath therefore; for it is holy unto you: every one that defileth it shall surely be put to death: for whosoever doeth any work therein, that soul shall be cut off from among his people.

People were killed for breaking that commandment. Now, Christians largely ignore it completely.

Keep those Saturday's free Christians.... Or you'll be put to death!

True. Sin is sin.

No it isn't.

Of course it is... You don't see protests against premarital sex.... You don't see worshippers questioning whether people who have premarital sex should be allowed in church... You don't see churches refusing to marry fornicators.

Give your head a shake. What world do you live in???

We can thank Emperor Constantine who allowed his armies who practiced Mithraism (Sun worship) to keep their holy day in exchange for their conversion to Christianity. [/size]

I understand the history of it... Most Christians don't. The change had no basis in scripture... It was a negotiation to get converts.

So, again, the interpretation of the bible was changed to suit Christians at the time and has carried on until now. So 99.9% of Christians break that Commandment every week.

Then why the disproportionate obsession with saving the lost souls of gays when there are 9 fornicators for every 1 gay?

That isn't even remotely true. It hardly ever even comes up unless someone else makes it an issue. A typical Church will have hundreds, even thousands, of sermons on all other manner of sins before there would be one that mentions homosexuality. If there is a discussion of sexuality, ALL sins of the flash are usually mentioned that way as one thing.

Romans 1

Unbelief and Its Consequences

26 For this reason aGod gave them over to bdegrading passions; for their women exchanged the natural function for that which is 1unnatural,

27 and in the same way also the men abandoned the natural function of the woman and burned in their desire toward one another, amen with men committing 1indecent acts and receiving in 2their own persons the due penalty of their error.

i said Jesus, not Paul. If Paul doesn't like gay sex he can go suck an egg. Heck if Jesus doesn't like gay sex he can go suck an egg. Oh no now I'm going to hell. :o

Christ says he's okay with it.

Christ stated that Paul was "a chosen vessel" unto the Lord, to bear the Lord's name before the Gentiles, and kings, and the children of Israel (Acts 9:15).

Paul wrote that "all scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness" (2 Timothy 3:16).

Paul was filled with the Holy Spirit (Acts 9:17) and was baptized (Acts 9:18). Paul was sent forth by the Holy Spirit (Acts 13:4).

Paul preached the kingdom of God, and taught those things which concern the Lord Jesus Christ (Acts 28:31).

Paul wrote "he that is married careth for the things that are of the world, how he may please his wife" and "she that is married careth for the things of the world, how she may please her husband" (1 Corinthians 7:33-34).

It the homosexual couple is married, then is it fornication? Answer for both civil and church marriage.

To a Christian who abides in the teachings of Christ, it is.

To a Christian who abides in the teachings of Christ - there's no such thing as same-sex marriage.

Edited by betsy

I understand the history of it... Most Christians don't. The change had no basis in scripture... It was a negotiation to get converts.

So, again, the interpretation of the bible was changed to suit Christians at the time and has carried on until now. So 99.9% of Christians break that Commandment every week.

What interpretation exactly was changed? Be specific.

Christ stated that Paul was "a chosen vessel" unto the Lord, to bear the Lord's name before the Gentiles, and kings, and the children of Israel (Acts 9:15).

Paul wrote that "all scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness" (2 Timothy 3:16).

Paul was filled with the Holy Spirit (Acts 9:17) and was baptized (Acts 9:18). Paul was sent forth by the Holy Spirit (Acts 13:4).

Paul preached the kingdom of God, and taught those things which concern the Lord Jesus Christ (Acts 28:31).

Paul wrote "he that is married careth for the things that are of the world, how he may please his wife" and "she that is married careth for the things of the world, how she may please her husband" (1 Corinthians 7:33-34).

What about those that are not married? Bit unfair?